Opinions and/or experience with Autozone Airtex fuel pump for '89 Toyota?

Old December 14th 10, 03:31 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_9_]

Default Opinions and/or experience with Autozone Airtex fuel pump for'89 Toyota?

On 12/13/2010 5:05 PM, Tegger wrote:
> > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 12/13/2010 4:43 PM, Tegger wrote:

>>> Great idea! That way he'd be able to return it when he gets back,
>>> minus the restocking fee, of course.
>>>

>> Forget about the restocking fees and instead just use them as stocking
>> stuffers. I don't know any kid that wouldn't want a fuel pump this
>> holiday season - even if it ain't OEM. :-)
>>

> But what if he licks it and gets poisoned? The ChiComs aren't noted for
> caring much about materials and their compatibility with the human body.

I like the word "ChiComs." You're probably right about this. I just
bought some kitchen cabinets that while beautiful and well made, were
made by some commies in China. Probably commie prisoners charged with
the most heinous of crimes. When the gal at Home Depot found out about
this she said that those cabinets emitted poisonous gasses. I installed
them anyway. Good thing I don't live there. Currently it's just my kids.
I figure that if I wait a few years before moving back in, all the bad
stuff will have outgassed. Wheew... that was a close call!
Old December 14th 10, 05:41 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 17:31:26 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> On 12/13/2010 5:05 PM, Tegger wrote:
>> > wrote in
>> :

>>> Forget about the restocking fees and instead just use them as stocking
>>> stuffers. I don't know any kid that wouldn't want a fuel pump this
>>> holiday season - even if it ain't OEM. :-)
>>>

>> But what if he licks it and gets poisoned? The ChiComs aren't noted for
>> caring much about materials and their compatibility with the human body.
>>

> I like the word "ChiComs." You're probably right about this. I just bought
> some kitchen cabinets that while beautiful and well made, were made by
> some commies in China. Probably commie prisoners charged with the most
> heinous of crimes. When the gal at Home Depot found out about this she
> said that those cabinets emitted poisonous gasses. I installed them
> anyway. Good thing I don't live there. Currently it's just my kids. I
> figure that if I wait a few years before moving back in, all the bad stuff
> will have outgassed. Wheew... that was a close call!

Not to worry...they're killing themselves...

http://www.szcpost.com/2010/05/foxconn-suicides.html
Old December 14th 10, 05:45 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2010-12-13, muzician21 > wrote:
> Have an '89 Cressida with 160K plus miles on it, running the factory
> fuel pump. No issues currently but looking to take a long road trip
> and seems like a good idea to do some pre-emptive wrench turning.
>
> Autozone had two, an "Asian Manf'd" for like $160 something, and an
> Airtex for $130 something, Also getting the tank gasket and the pickup
> filter.

> My brother who does car stuff adamantly insists that anything from
> Autozone is garbage -

Not everything is. They have a few decent parts here and there. But it's
usually things like name brand bearings, filters, etc. But in general,
yes, junk.

> period, that I need to go with either Toyota
> parts or what he called "A line" parts from someone *other* than the
> well known places like Autozone, Advance/Discount auto parts, Bumper
> To Bumper. The problem with anything from Toyota obviously is the
> cost. I've never priced a valve stem cap there but I feel reasonably
> certain it wouldn't be under $20. Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration.

Most autoparts store stuff these days is garabage and autozone is the
bottom of the barrel generally speaking. Even Napa isn't what it used to
be but better than autozone. Rockauto often has OEM parts or the higher
end name brand stuff available.

> What say you? You think I'd be asking for trouble installing the
> Airtex unit? Any other brands you recommend?

I recommend keeping your stock original fuel pump in place. Is it just
pull out the back seat, open the access port and remove the pump? If it
doesn't require dropping the tank and is an easy swap like that another
OEM pump from a junkyard kept in the trunk should provide all the
security you need. Test it first of course.

> Does the term A-line mean anything to you?

He's probably just refering to the higher end name brand parts.

Old December 14th 10, 06:03 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_9_]

On 12/13/2010 7:41 PM, Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:

>>> :

>>> But what if he licks it and gets poisoned? The ChiComs aren't noted for
>>> caring much about materials and their compatibility with the human body.
>>>

>> I like the word "ChiComs." You're probably right about this. I just bought
>> some kitchen cabinets that while beautiful and well made, were made by
>> some commies in China. Probably commie prisoners charged with the most
>> heinous of crimes. When the gal at Home Depot found out about this she
>> said that those cabinets emitted poisonous gasses. I installed them
>> anyway. Good thing I don't live there. Currently it's just my kids. I
>> figure that if I wait a few years before moving back in, all the bad stuff
>> will have outgassed. Wheew... that was a close call!

> Not to worry...they're killing themselves...
>
> http://www.szcpost.com/2010/05/foxconn-suicides.html

Sounds similar to those horror stories of factory workers in America at
the turn of the century. I suspect that the battle for worker's rights
will mirror ours - blood, sweat and tears included. OTOH, I'm not so
sure that JonT isn't getting some leg pulling here. Thanks for the link.
Old December 14th 10, 08:35 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Dec 13, 9:15*pm, "Steve W." > wrote:
> muzician21 wrote:
> > Have an '89 Cressida with 160K plus miles on it, running the factory
> > fuel pump. No issues currently but looking to take a long road trip
> > and seems like a good idea to do some pre-emptive wrench turning.

> WHY? If the pump tests OK, then leave it alone. Easy enough to test it
> using an amp meter and a flow meter. If it is putting out the proper
> flow at the proper pressure and drawing withing the proper range then
> it's fine.
>

> > Autozone had two, an "Asian Manf'd" for like $160 something, and an
> > Airtex for $130 something, Also getting the tank gasket and the pickup
> > filter.

> Both made in China. Both JUNK.
>

> > My brother who does car stuff adamantly insists that anything from
> > Autozone is garbage - period, that I need to go with either Toyota
> > parts or what he called "A line" parts from someone *other* than the
> > well known places like Autozone, Advance/Discount auto parts, Bumper
> > To Bumper. *The problem with anything from Toyota obviously is the
> > cost. I've never priced a valve stem cap there but I feel reasonably
> > certain it wouldn't be under $20. Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration.

> > What say you? You think I'd be asking for trouble installing the
> > Airtex unit? *Any other brands you recommend?

> > Does the term A-line mean anything to you?

> Yep. Most parts places carry different levels of parts. From cheap junk
> up through high quality parts.
>
> The A- Line are the ones that are factory or OEM manufacturers parts.
> Yes they will cost more. That is because they are made to a better
> level, tested and actually LAST.
>

> > Thanks

> --
> Steve W.
> (\___/)
> (='.'=)
> (")_(")

They may have different lines of parts (ie silver, gold brands etc)
but they are most likely all made in China, or some other 3rd world
country.

It's hard to find American made parts anymore in the aftermarket.
Old December 14th 10, 08:37 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
muzician21

On Dec 13, 9:15*pm, "Steve W." > wrote:
> muzician21 wrote:
> > Have an '89 Cressida with 160K plus miles on it, running the factory
> > fuel pump. No issues currently but looking to take a long road trip
> > and seems like a good idea to do some pre-emptive wrench turning.

> WHY?

A major part of the "Why" is there's a difference between having a
breakdown in my local area within AAA towing distance to my own house
where I have access to my own tools and spare car as opposed to in the
middle of an unknown locale in the dead of Winter traveling on a
Christmas Eve/Day weekend.
Old December 14th 10, 08:56 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
muzician21

On Dec 13, 9:02 pm, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B > wrote:

> No issues with the motor? An '89 Cressida with a 3.0?
> ROFLMAO!!!!
>
> Had any head gasket issues yet?

It went after an overheat. When I rebuilt it, had the block decked
since it had developed cross-cylinder burning, torqued the bolts to
170 lbs rather than the I think 158 lb factory specs as I was
consistently advised to do in more than one Toyota forum. Seems to be
doing okay.
Old December 14th 10, 11:24 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
dr_jeff

On 12/13/10 10:02 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > wrote:
>> On 12/13/10 9:31 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>> On 12/13/2010 3:01 PM, Tegger wrote:
>>>>
>>> This is a good point. My suggestion is that he buy a cheap pump and
>>> stashes it under his seat because it will probably make him feel better.
>>> My guess is that the pump is like most other pumps except a little more
>>> heavy-duty. OTOH, I haven't checked one out.

>> Why shouldn't he also staff spark plugs, wires, brakes, distributor,
>> alternator, belts and hoses, and a water pump, just in case? A better
>> idea is to realize that there are neat places where you can buy parts in
>> a pinch, called parts stores and dealers.

> Trust me, when you drive a 2002, you keep all those things in the trunk.
> I keep a spare alternator too and plenty of hose clamps. Also a gently
> used cap and rotor.... because parts stores just laugh at you...
> --scott

I drove a '97 Ford Contour for 11 years without needing to carry those
spare parts.

Jeff
Old December 14th 10, 12:22 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

dsi1 > wrote in
:

> On 12/13/2010 7:41 PM, Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:

>> Not to worry...they're killing themselves...
>>
>> http://www.szcpost.com/2010/05/foxconn-suicides.html

> Sounds similar to those horror stories of factory workers in America
> at the turn of the century.

You are assuming the Chinese and American situations are/were the same;
they are assuredly not.

One of the biggest differences is that the Chinese government (still
Communist, remember) maintains tight control over most of the Chinese
economy. It controls most wages, and /deliberately/ keeps them very low to
ensure export competitiveness.

That deliberate meanness is the primary cause of those Foxconn suicides.
Luckily for Foxconn, they had somewhat more control over their own wages
since they are a foreign-owned company, so they were able to react sooner
than Chinese-owned comapnies.

When the American government did intervene in wages, those interventions
were intended to keep wages HIGH.

> I suspect that the battle for worker's
> rights will mirror ours - blood, sweat and tears included.

Remember Tienanmen Square? The same government is in power now, and the
same government still suppresses dissidents.

--
Tegger
Old December 14th 10, 12:31 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

muzician21 > wrote in news:f12c4ea9-a5b5-4253-a830-
:

> On Dec 13, 9:15*pm, "Steve W." > wrote:
>> muzician21 wrote:
>> > Have an '89 Cressida with 160K plus miles on it, running the factory
>> > fuel pump. No issues currently but looking to take a long road trip
>> > and seems like a good idea to do some pre-emptive wrench turning.

>> WHY?

> A major part of the "Why" is there's a difference between having a
> breakdown in my local area within AAA towing distance to my own house
> where I have access to my own tools and spare car as opposed to in the
> middle of an unknown locale in the dead of Winter traveling on a
> Christmas Eve/Day weekend.

If you want ensure your car stays alive on a long drive, you need to keep
the car maintained properly to begin with.

Here are some things that are about 1,000,000% more likely to strand you
than an OEM Toyota fuel pump:
- Neglected cooling system, which includes old rad hoses
- Neglected ignition system
- Old/worn accessory-drive belts (water pump is driven off one!)
- Neglected spare-tire pressure
- No spare tire in vehicle
- No (or incomplete) emergency jack in vehicle
- Tire pressures too low
- Tires too worn.

The fuel pump is the /least/ of your worries.

--
Tegger

Opinions on life expectancy and brands for Toyota Cressida fuel pump& wheel bearings? HiC Technology 4 November 25th 08 06:33 PM
Replacing main fuel pump. Question pinching fuel line from transfer pump. tonyw VW water cooled 2 August 14th 06 06:09 AM
'04 ZJ opinions/experience Al J Jeep 5 July 11th 06 03:08 AM
Rust ate my dash (need opinions/experience) brianc Jeep 2 October 16th 05 08:09 PM
Experience and opinions on '86 635I The Singers BMW 5 November 29th 04 11:20 AM