Opinions and/or experience with Autozone Airtex fuel pump for '89 Toyota?

Old December 14th 10, 02:43 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
dr_jeff

Default Opinions and/or experience with Autozone Airtex fuel pump for'89 Toyota?

On 12/13/10 9:31 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 12/13/2010 3:01 PM, Tegger wrote:
>>
>> WHY? Why on earth would you mess with something that's working perfectly-
>> well on the daffy hypothesis that on THIS particular trip (and not on all
>> the other trips the car's been on in 21-years) the fuel pump will conk
>> out?
>>
>> LEAVE THE OEM PUMP ALONE. By your own admission, it's working fine.
>>
>> That pump cost $300 when new, and there's a reason why.

> This is a good point. My suggestion is that he buy a cheap pump and
> stashes it under his seat because it will probably make him feel better.
> My guess is that the pump is like most other pumps except a little more
> heavy-duty. OTOH, I haven't checked one out.

Why shouldn't he also staff spark plugs, wires, brakes, distributor,
alternator, belts and hoses, and a water pump, just in case? A better
idea is to realize that there are neat places where you can buy parts in
a pinch, called parts stores and dealers.

Jeff

Old December 14th 10, 02:43 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

dsi1 > wrote in
:

> On 12/13/2010 3:01 PM, Tegger wrote:
>>
>> WHY? Why on earth would you mess with something that's working
>> perfectly- well on the daffy hypothesis that on THIS particular trip
>> (and not on all the other trips the car's been on in 21-years) the
>> fuel pump will conk out?
>>
>> LEAVE THE OEM PUMP ALONE. By your own admission, it's working fine.
>>
>> That pump cost $300 when new, and there's a reason why.

> This is a good point. My suggestion is that he buy a cheap pump and
> stashes it under his seat because it will probably make him feel
> better.

Great idea! That way he'd be able to return it when he gets back, minus the
restocking fee, of course.

--
Tegger
Old December 14th 10, 02:51 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_9_]

On 12/13/2010 4:43 PM, dr_jeff wrote:
> On 12/13/10 9:31 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 12/13/2010 3:01 PM, Tegger wrote:
>>>
>>> WHY? Why on earth would you mess with something that's working
>>> perfectly-
>>> well on the daffy hypothesis that on THIS particular trip (and not on
>>> all
>>> the other trips the car's been on in 21-years) the fuel pump will conk
>>> out?
>>>
>>> LEAVE THE OEM PUMP ALONE. By your own admission, it's working fine.
>>>
>>> That pump cost $300 when new, and there's a reason why.

>> This is a good point. My suggestion is that he buy a cheap pump and
>> stashes it under his seat because it will probably make him feel better.
>> My guess is that the pump is like most other pumps except a little more
>> heavy-duty. OTOH, I haven't checked one out.

> Why shouldn't he also staff spark plugs, wires, brakes, distributor,
> alternator, belts and hoses, and a water pump, just in case? A better
> idea is to realize that there are neat places where you can buy parts in
> a pinch, called parts stores and dealers.

Since you are a doctor, I am a little surprised that you believe that
people act in a rational, logical, practical way. You've got a lot to
learn about peoples doc. :-)

Old December 14th 10, 02:52 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:43:33 -0500, dr_jeff wrote:

> On 12/13/10 9:31 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 12/13/2010 3:01 PM, Tegger wrote:
>>>
>>> WHY? Why on earth would you mess with something that's working
>>> perfectly- well on the daffy hypothesis that on THIS particular trip
>>> (and not on all the other trips the car's been on in 21-years) the fuel
>>> pump will conk out?
>>>
>>> LEAVE THE OEM PUMP ALONE. By your own admission, it's working fine.
>>>
>>> That pump cost $300 when new, and there's a reason why.

>> This is a good point. My suggestion is that he buy a cheap pump and
>> stashes it under his seat because it will probably make him feel better.
>> My guess is that the pump is like most other pumps except a little more
>> heavy-duty. OTOH, I haven't checked one out.

> Why shouldn't he also staff spark plugs, wires, brakes, distributor,
> alternator, belts and hoses, and a water pump, just in case? A better idea
> is to realize that there are neat places where you can buy parts in a
> pinch, called parts stores and dealers.
>
> Jeff

Nah. It's an '89 Cressida. All he needs for a road trip is a fan clutch
and a head gasket...

Old December 14th 10, 02:57 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_9_]

On 12/13/2010 4:43 PM, Tegger wrote:
> > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 12/13/2010 3:01 PM, Tegger wrote:
>>>
>>> WHY? Why on earth would you mess with something that's working
>>> perfectly- well on the daffy hypothesis that on THIS particular trip
>>> (and not on all the other trips the car's been on in 21-years) the
>>> fuel pump will conk out?
>>>
>>> LEAVE THE OEM PUMP ALONE. By your own admission, it's working fine.
>>>
>>> That pump cost $300 when new, and there's a reason why.

>> This is a good point. My suggestion is that he buy a cheap pump and
>> stashes it under his seat because it will probably make him feel
>> better.

> Great idea! That way he'd be able to return it when he gets back, minus the
> restocking fee, of course.

Forget about the restocking fees and instead just use them as stocking
stuffers. I don't know any kid that wouldn't want a fuel pump this
holiday season - even if it ain't OEM. :-)
Old December 14th 10, 03:02 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

dr_jeff > wrote:
>On 12/13/10 9:31 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 12/13/2010 3:01 PM, Tegger wrote:
>>>

>> This is a good point. My suggestion is that he buy a cheap pump and
>> stashes it under his seat because it will probably make him feel better.
>> My guess is that the pump is like most other pumps except a little more
>> heavy-duty. OTOH, I haven't checked one out.

>Why shouldn't he also staff spark plugs, wires, brakes, distributor,
>alternator, belts and hoses, and a water pump, just in case? A better
>idea is to realize that there are neat places where you can buy parts in
>a pinch, called parts stores and dealers.

Trust me, when you drive a 2002, you keep all those things in the trunk.
I keep a spare alternator too and plenty of hose clamps. Also a gently
used cap and rotor.... because parts stores just laugh at you...
--scott
Old December 14th 10, 03:02 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
dr_jeff

On 12/13/10 9:51 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 12/13/2010 4:43 PM, dr_jeff wrote:

>>> This is a good point. My suggestion is that he buy a cheap pump and
>>> stashes it under his seat because it will probably make him feel better.
>>> My guess is that the pump is like most other pumps except a little more
>>> heavy-duty. OTOH, I haven't checked one out.

>> Why shouldn't he also staff spark plugs, wires, brakes, distributor,
>> alternator, belts and hoses, and a water pump, just in case? A better
>> idea is to realize that there are neat places where you can buy parts in
>> a pinch, called parts stores and dealers.

> Since you are a doctor, I am a little surprised that you believe that
> people act in a rational, logical, practical way. You've got a lot to
> learn about peoples doc. :-)

I know that people don't act in a rational way. Too bad you missed the
sarcasm.

jeff

Old December 14th 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default Opinions and/or experience with Autozone Airtex fuel pump for'...

If it turns out to be a new defective new pump, why bother to replace
the old working pump that is already on there?
I would leave the old pump alone untill it starts to have a problem.

I have bought parts at Autozone before, I never had a problem with them
yet.A few weeks ago I replaced the fuel pump on my 1983 Dodge van with
one I bought at Autozone.

By the way, last January the NAPA store wouldn't let me use their
restroom.Needless to say, I will never go to any NAPA store ever again.
cuhulin

Old December 14th 10, 03:05 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

dsi1 > wrote in
:

> On 12/13/2010 4:43 PM, Tegger wrote:

>> Great idea! That way he'd be able to return it when he gets back,
>> minus the restocking fee, of course.
>>

> Forget about the restocking fees and instead just use them as stocking
> stuffers. I don't know any kid that wouldn't want a fuel pump this
> holiday season - even if it ain't OEM. :-)

But what if he licks it and gets poisoned? The ChiComs aren't noted for
caring much about materials and their compatibility with the human body.

--
Tegger
Old December 14th 10, 03:22 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_9_]

On 12/13/2010 5:02 PM, dr_jeff wrote:
> On 12/13/10 9:51 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Why shouldn't he also staff spark plugs, wires, brakes, distributor,
>>> alternator, belts and hoses, and a water pump, just in case? A better
>>> idea is to realize that there are neat places where you can buy parts in
>>> a pinch, called parts stores and dealers.

>> Since you are a doctor, I am a little surprised that you believe that
>> people act in a rational, logical, practical way. You've got a lot to
>> learn about peoples doc. :-)

> I know that people don't act in a rational way. Too bad you missed the
> sarcasm.

I didn't miss the sarcasm - but you sure did. That is, unless you're
being sarcastic now in which case, that would be just plain ironic! :-)

> jeff
>

>>> Jeff

Opinions on life expectancy and brands for Toyota Cressida fuel pump& wheel bearings? HiC Technology 4 November 25th 08 06:33 PM
Replacing main fuel pump. Question pinching fuel line from transfer pump. tonyw VW water cooled 2 August 14th 06 06:09 AM
'04 ZJ opinions/experience Al J Jeep 5 July 11th 06 03:08 AM
Rust ate my dash (need opinions/experience) brianc Jeep 2 October 16th 05 08:09 PM
Experience and opinions on '86 635I The Singers BMW 5 November 29th 04 11:20 AM