Electrical Problem with 98 Mazda Protege

Old December 12th 10, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
R1947

Default Electrical Problem with 98 Mazda Protege

When I turn off my car, all power is lost - door locks won't work -
lose radio station settings, clock setting etc, and the car won't
restart. It will restart sometimes after a few seconds, and sometimes
after a few minutes. This doesn't happen every time but maybe once
every couple of dozen times. I have taken it to my mechanic (not
dealer) who can not identify the problem. Problem coincides roughly
with installation of a new battery. Any ideas?
Old December 12th 10, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 12/11/2010 07:41 PM, R1947 wrote:
> When I turn off my car, all power is lost - door locks won't work -
> lose radio station settings, clock setting etc, and the car won't
> restart. It will restart sometimes after a few seconds, and sometimes
> after a few minutes. This doesn't happen every time but maybe once
> every couple of dozen times. I have taken it to my mechanic (not
> dealer) who can not identify the problem. Problem coincides roughly
> with installation of a new battery. Any ideas?

I would check the tightness/cleanliness of the battery cable connections
before commencing to pull your hair out.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old December 12th 10, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 16:41:47 -0800, R1947 wrote:

> When I turn off my car, all power is lost - door locks won't work - lose
> radio station settings, clock setting etc, and the car won't restart. It
> will restart sometimes after a few seconds, and sometimes after a few
> minutes. This doesn't happen every time but maybe once every couple of
> dozen times. I have taken it to my mechanic (not dealer) who can not
> identify the problem. Problem coincides roughly with installation of a
> new battery. Any ideas?

WHat Nate said, and, by any chance, did you install the terminals
*backwards*, even for a second?

Old December 12th 10, 05:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Dec 11, 7:41*pm, R1947 > wrote:
> When I turn off my car, all power is lost - door locks won't work -
> lose radio station settings, clock setting etc, and the car won't
> restart. *It will restart sometimes after a few seconds, and sometimes
> after a few minutes. *This doesn't happen every time but maybe once
> every couple of dozen times. *I have taken it to my mechanic (not
> dealer) who can not identify the problem. *Problem coincides roughly
> with installation of a new battery. *Any ideas?

Almost sounds like a bad ignition switch

Double check wires near the battery. If you have a harness of wires
that attach to the battery cable check those for being loose/bad etc.
Old December 12th 10, 12:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
R1947

On Dec 11, 11:30 pm, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B > wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 16:41:47 -0800, R1947 wrote:
> > When I turn off my car, all power is lost - door locks won't work - lose
> > radio station settings, clock setting etc, and the car won't restart. It
> > will restart sometimes after a few seconds, and sometimes after a few
> > minutes. This doesn't happen every time but maybe once every couple of
> > dozen times. I have taken it to my mechanic (not dealer) who can not
> > identify the problem. Problem coincides roughly with installation of a
> > new battery. Any ideas?

> WHat Nate said, and, by any chance, did you install the terminals
> *backwards*, even for a second?

It was installed by my mechanic - what if the terminals were installed
backwards?
Old December 12th 10, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

R1947 > wrote:
>When I turn off my car, all power is lost - door locks won't work -
>lose radio station settings, clock setting etc, and the car won't
>restart. It will restart sometimes after a few seconds, and sometimes
>after a few minutes. This doesn't happen every time but maybe once
>every couple of dozen times. I have taken it to my mechanic (not
>dealer) who can not identify the problem. Problem coincides roughly
>with installation of a new battery. Any ideas?

Sounds very much like an ignition switch problem, but the meter and
the wiring diagram will tell you for sure.
--scott

Old December 16th 10, 01:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill[_33_]

"R1947" wrote in message
> When I turn off my car, all power is lost - door locks won't work -
> lose radio station settings, clock setting etc, and the car won't
> restart. It will restart sometimes after a few seconds, and
> sometimes
> after a few minutes. This doesn't happen every time but maybe once
> every couple of dozen times. I have taken it to my mechanic (not
> dealer) who can not identify the problem. Problem coincides roughly
> with installation of a new battery. Any ideas?

Start by learning to use a voltmeter/multimeter, then use a voltmeter
or multimeter set to DC volts to check the voltage starting at the
battery.

Search google.com for the words...

How to use a multimeter on a car

For more advanced electrical problems, a factory service manual set of
books including electrical diagrams (can be 100 pages of just
electrical diagrams) is a BIG help!