Auto Exects say Car of the Future wont be cheap

Old December 6th 10, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Econo-cars

Default Auto Exects say Car of the Future wont be cheap

> wrote in message
> Henry Ford put the World on wheels.He also put the Nation on wings.
>
> http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...ples-car/67435
> cuhulin

He's also responsible, unfortunately, for the formation of unions, which
have long overstayed their need, and ironically enough one of the main
reasons Ford can't be competitive.

Econo-cars

Old December 7th 10, 12:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

wrote in news:9270-4CFD0694-7948@storefull-
3172.bay.webtv.net:

http://www.dailyjobcuts.com

> Prices of gasoline is up too.
> cuhulin

The US-market auto of the future is /prohibited/ from being cheap. The cost
of regulations and legislation ensures that.

And hey, have you heard that Ray LaHood now wants to put backup cameras in
all new cars? It's estimated to cost about $2-billion, and to save about
100 lives a year. That's only $20,000,000 per life saved. Such a deal!

--
Tegger
Old December 7th 10, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I heard/read about those back up cameras a week or so ago.Some people
still wont watch where or what they are backing up to.
cuhulin

Old December 7th 10, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

http://www.dailyjobcuts.com

>> Prices of gasoline is up too.
>> cuhulin
>>

> The US-market auto of the future is /prohibited/ from being cheap. The
> cost of regulations and legislation ensures that.
>
> And hey, have you heard that Ray LaHood now wants to put backup cameras in
> all new cars? It's estimated to cost about $2-billion, and to save about
> 100 lives a year. That's only $20,000,000 per life saved. Such a deal!

Most politicians/political appointees have a demonstarted lack of brains,
and this bunch are the poster children.

Ooops...meant to post that in Toyota...

Old December 7th 10, 01:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

(Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:idje9n$npf$1
@panix2.panix.com:

> John S. > wrote:
>>On Dec 6, 12:33=A0pm, wrote:
>>> But, adjusted for inflation, how much money would a new 1914 Ford Model
>>> T car cost today?
>>> A U.S.Dollar in 1900 would buy a lot more than it does today.
>>> cuhulin

>>The inflation adjusted price of a Model T today means nothing because
>>there is not a comparably unequipped car to compare it to. However,
>>if we inflation adjust the $550 1914 Model T to 2010 prices we have a
>>price of roughly $12,000. That is for a car with little more than
>>seats, doors, a 2 speed transmission, and a single transmission drum
>>brake. We have thankfully progressed.

> The thing is... there's more of a difference between the Model T and the
> Model A, than between the Model A and the current model Ford Focus.

I'd love to see your point-by-point comparison of those two.

> There's been a lot of progression, but the progression has slowed.

It has slowed for two main reasons:
1) the technology is mature and highly-developed, so changes are
incremental;
2) North American tort, regulations, and legislation essentially prohibit
the manufacture of anything really different.

--
Tegger
Old December 7th 10, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

m6onz5a > wrote in news:509fa942-86b8-4c50-90bb-
:

http://www.dailyjobcuts.com

>> Prices of gasoline is up too.
>> cuhulin

> Yep, the prices keep going up for cars.. Never seen them come down.
> Except if you bought something from India or China.

Car prices went down like a rock from about 1908 to about 1930, when the
technology was very new. This is what happens to ALL new technologies.

An automotive magazine back in the '80s (R&T?) did a study to see how
prices compared over a period between (I think) 1970 and 1985. Many things
were cheaper in '85 than they were in '70, but cars had held steady: when
adjusted for inflation, cars cost the same in '85 as they did in '70. The
authors attributed this phenomenon to the cost of the many regulations that
had been enacted in between those years.

I've read that North American regulations and legislation (plus the current
fad for multiple airbags) add some $3-4,000 to the price of a new car, and
that's the same whether the car is a Kia or a Lexus.

--
Tegger
Old December 7th 10, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

Brent > wrote in news:idjhfm$gm3$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> Deflation (of the prices of goods) is the natural state of free market
> enterprise, and this can be seen in products that beat the rate of
> inflation. Prices continually decline in constant dollars. Electronics
> is a prime example.

Electronics are still a relatively new technology, so there's a lot of
low-hanging fruit available.

Any new technology will see dramatic price reductions as the technology
matures. By 1900, petroleum and steel had dropped to about 10% of their
1870 prices.

Plus, electronics have mostly escaped regulation and legislation, so
there are few barriers to innovation. Can't say that about cars, anymore.

--
Tegger
Old December 7th 10, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

Tegger wrote:

> An automotive magazine back in the '80s (R&T?) did a study to see how
> prices compared over a period between (I think) 1970 and 1985. Many things
> were cheaper in '85 than they were in '70, but cars had held steady: when
> adjusted for inflation, cars cost the same in '85 as they did in '70. The
> authors attributed this phenomenon to the cost of the many regulations that
> had been enacted in between those years.

That statement is so brain dead stupid it must be some feeble attempt at
comedy.

If cars cost the same in 1985 as they did in 1970 when adjusted for
inflation that means the price of cars went up just the same amount as
everything else did.
Old December 7th 10, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Econo-cars

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> Brent > wrote in news:idjhfm$gm3$1
> @news.eternal-september.org:
>

>> Deflation (of the prices of goods) is the natural state of free market
>> enterprise, and this can be seen in products that beat the rate of
>> inflation. Prices continually decline in constant dollars. Electronics
>> is a prime example.
>>

> Electronics are still a relatively new technology, so there's a lot of
> low-hanging fruit available.

1958 is relatively new technology? That's when the first Desoto electric
fuel injector was used.

Econo-cars

Old December 7th 10, 10:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Econo-cars

> wrote in message
>I heard/read about those back up cameras a week or so ago.Some people
> still wont watch where or what they are backing up to.
> cuhulin

Several insurance companies are claiming that since backup cameras have
become more popular there are more front-end claims. Apparently people are
so busy watching the screen they forget to watch their front-end, dinging a
wall or vehicle while carefully avoiding the behind object that is being
displayed on screen. LOL.

Econo-cars