Thermostat

Old November 22nd 10, 04:28 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Default Thermostat

On 22/11/2010 09:35, GT wrote:
> > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> I completely forgot to ask them to change the thermostat at my last
>> service. The temp gauge sits around or below 70 and should be at 90. In the
>> recent cold weather, it has hardly gone over 65 and it takes about 20
>> minutes before proper hot air comes through to the cabin. Its always been
>> low, but it seems to be getting worse. The GT I had last month was warm
>> within a few minutes and blowing hot air at me after about 3 miles!
>>

>> Mine's a 2002, 156 Petrol 2.0 JTS. Anyone know where the thermostat is and
>> how easy the job is? Should I even consider changing it myself?

> One more thing - coolant. Drain and replace completely? Replace with
> water/coolant mixture or pure coolant? Red or Blue? Halfords own cheap, or
> expensive stuff? ...

Probably best to drain, but don't (in theory) let it go down the drain.

Halfords normal, mixed as per spec on side of bottle depending on how
cold you think it'll get this winter.

If red comes out, you'd better put red in, and vice versa

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old November 22nd 10, 04:45 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"catman" > wrote in message
> On 22/11/2010 09:35, GT wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> eb.com...
>>> I completely forgot to ask them to change the thermostat at my last
>>> service. The temp gauge sits around or below 70 and should be at 90. In
>>> the
>>> recent cold weather, it has hardly gone over 65 and it takes about 20
>>> minutes before proper hot air comes through to the cabin. Its always
>>> been
>>> low, but it seems to be getting worse. The GT I had last month was warm
>>> within a few minutes and blowing hot air at me after about 3 miles!
>>>
>>> Mine's a 2002, 156 Petrol 2.0 JTS. Anyone know where the thermostat is
>>> and
>>> how easy the job is? Should I even consider changing it myself?

>> One more thing - coolant. Drain and replace completely? Replace with
>> water/coolant mixture or pure coolant? Red or Blue? Halfords own cheap,
>> or
>> expensive stuff? ...
>>

> Probably best to drain, but don't (in theory) let it go down the drain.
>
> Halfords normal, mixed as per spec on side of bottle depending on how cold
> you think it'll get this winter.
>
> If red comes out, you'd better put red in, and vice versa

Dilute with tap water or de-ionised stuff?

Old November 22nd 10, 08:33 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

On 22/11/2010 15:45, GT wrote:
> > wrote in message
>>> eb.com...

>>> One more thing - coolant. Drain and replace completely? Replace with
>>> water/coolant mixture or pure coolant? Red or Blue? Halfords own cheap,
>>> or
>>> expensive stuff? ...
>>>

>> Probably best to drain, but don't (in theory) let it go down the drain.
>>
>> Halfords normal, mixed as per spec on side of bottle depending on how cold
>> you think it'll get this winter.
>>
>> If red comes out, you'd better put red in, and vice versa

> Dilute with tap water or de-ionised stuff?

I always use tap water. De-ionised was for batteries innit?

Old November 22nd 10, 09:03 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

catman > wrote:

> I always use tap water. De-ionised was for batteries innit?

Not here, it isn't.

Tap water for both....
--
SteveH
Old November 22nd 10, 10:41 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

On 22/11/2010 20:03, SteveH wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> I always use tap water. De-ionised was for batteries innit?

> Not here, it isn't.
>
> Tap water for both....

*Was*

Not that I can recall the last time I had a non-sealed battery.

Old November 23rd 10, 10:18 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"catman" > wrote in message
> On 22/11/2010 15:45, GT wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> Probably best to drain, but don't (in theory) let it go down the drain.
>>>
>>> Halfords normal, mixed as per spec on side of bottle depending on how
>>> cold
>>> you think it'll get this winter.
>>>
>>> If red comes out, you'd better put red in, and vice versa

>> Dilute with tap water or de-ionised stuff?

> I always use tap water. De-ionised was for batteries innit?

I meant distilled, not de-ionised, that is for batteries - oops!! I read a
while ago that you should use distilled water to top up the coolant because
it lasts much longer and is rarely changed these days, so distilled water
does less damage when left in the system for extended periods..

Old November 23rd 10, 12:05 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"GT" > wrote in message
eb.com...

>>> Dilute with tap water or de-ionised stuff?

>> I always use tap water. De-ionised was for batteries innit?

> I meant distilled, not de-ionised, that is for batteries - oops!! I read a
> while ago that you should use distilled water to top up the coolant
> because it lasts much longer and is rarely changed these days, so
> distilled water does less damage when left in the system for extended
> periods..

'it' lasting much longer referred to coolant, not water!

Old November 23rd 10, 02:09 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

On 23/11/2010 09:18, GT wrote:
> > wrote in message

>>> Dilute with tap water or de-ionised stuff?

>> I always use tap water. De-ionised was for batteries innit?

> I meant distilled, not de-ionised, that is for batteries - oops!! I read a
> while ago that you should use distilled water to top up the coolant because
> it lasts much longer and is rarely changed these days, so distilled water
> does less damage when left in the system for extended periods..

I'd love to see any evidence for that. One of the whole points of
coolant is that it protects your engine

Old November 23rd 10, 03:00 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"catman" > wrote in message
> On 23/11/2010 09:18, GT wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> I always use tap water. De-ionised was for batteries innit?

>> I meant distilled, not de-ionised, that is for batteries - oops!! I read
>> while ago that you should use distilled water to top up the coolant
>> because
>> it lasts much longer and is rarely changed these days, so distilled water
>> does less damage when left in the system for extended periods..

> I'd love to see any evidence for that. One of the whole points of coolant
> is that it protects your engine

Fair enough - I just took it on face value and presumed that corrosion from
impurities was a factor to consider. A little knowledge is sometimes just
enough to jump to the wrong conclusion!.

Old November 23rd 10, 03:11 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Stef[_2_]

In alt.autos.alfa-romeo,
GT > wrote:

>>> I meant distilled, not de-ionised, that is for batteries - oops!! I read
>>> while ago that you should use distilled water to top up the coolant
>>> because
>>> it lasts much longer and is rarely changed these days, so distilled water
>>> does less damage when left in the system for extended periods..

>> I'd love to see any evidence for that. One of the whole points of coolant
>> is that it protects your engine

> Fair enough - I just took it on face value and presumed that corrosion from
> impurities was a factor to consider. A little knowledge is sometimes just
> enough to jump to the wrong conclusion!.

Use distilled or de-ionized water to prevent limescale deposits in your
cooling system.

--
Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)

.... bleakness ... desolation ... plastic forks ...

Honda thermostat fixed + how to test your thermostat... [email protected] Honda 5 March 18th 09 03:33 AM
'79 Thermostat JohnO Ford Mustang 7 January 2nd 07 04:10 PM
thermostat! Steve VW air cooled 15 December 31st 05 09:36 AM
thermostat XY Alfa Romeo 1 October 28th 05 11:54 AM
Thermostat Randall Brink VW air cooled 23 February 6th 05 04:31 PM