Converting to convertible: What are the challenges?

Old July 27th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

Default Converting to convertible: What are the challenges?

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:22:04 -0700, Jeannot wrote:

> I'm looking at converting a 2004 crown victoria to a convertible.
> I can cut, I can weld, I can paint.
>
> Of course, my objective is NOT an automatic roof, or anything I can
> drive at 100mph, or anything air-tight. It'll be a very occasional
> drive...
>
> Is anyone crazy enough to have attempted something like that? What are
> the challenges?
>
> And people, please, no replies like "can't be done", "I wouldn't do
> it", etc...
>
> Thanks!

Sure it can be done! I've seen El Camino convertibles, etc.

The biggest challenge is getting enough bracing to keep the body rigid.
You have to add extra stanchions, a rib or two to keep the sides from
wavering, etc. Of course, welding the rear doors shut will certainly help.
I would try welding the doors or adding sheet metal and getting bigger
doors from a similar model, although they stopped making 2 door CVs in the
80's.

I'm sure there are racing shops in you area that build cars. They would
have the know how as to how to make a car like this happen. Start picking
brains if no one here gives you a good answer.

There used to be someone in the Dodge group calling himself Refinish King,
he may have an idea or two also.

Old July 28th 09, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Harry Face

I cut part of the roof off my 91 Bonneville June 2008. Its cut from
about four inches inward from the rain gutter and up to the visors. The
rear window was removed as well. I still have the center pillar and
window frames intact. My seat belt are anchored to the top of the window
frames on the front doors - thus the reason for leaving them on.

I had a top show make up a cloth top that snaps on like the boat covers
you see at marina's. I can drive it the rain & snow. Made five cross
bows out of conduit to support the canvas. There is a plastic window
sewn in the back.

The car has gotten alot of horn honks, waves and shouts over the last
year.

I'd love to do another car as the Bonneville is nearing the end of its
life. I've noticed no body flex or problems since cutting the roof off.
Of course the d-ring (door jamb area) hasn't really been compromised, I
don't think.. so it seems pretty solid yet.

The neat thing about doing this to a large car is you have a car that
has lots of room and a decent trunk size. All these new convertibles out
there are essentially two-seater cars. I can fit 5 adults (not kids)
comfortablly in the Bonneville.

Considerations for the next chop are 97-05 Bonneville's, LeSabre's or
Park Avenue's because these models have the seat belts attached within
the front seats frame. The entire top, center pillar and window frames
of these models can then be removed. A 2000 & up Monte Carlo is also a
consideration but the seat belt on the center pillar comes into play
again.

I've also considered the Grand Marquis, Crown Victoria or Town car, but
some of the center pillar would need to be sticking up because of the
seat belt attachment.

I'm leary about buying a real old car. I wish I had done this 30 years
ago when the Big Three build those big 4 door hardtops that had no
window frames on the doors or center pillars connected to the roof.

There are several Video clips on YouTube from people that have cut off
tops of cars - just search around and you'll find them.

Good Luck

harryface
91 Bonneville 318,901
05 Park Avenue 86,585

Old July 29th 09, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Elizabeth Taylor in the 1958 movie, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, driving a
1958 Ford hard top convertible.(the movie is on the TCM channel right
now) That is a nice convertible.Ford made them from 1957 to 1959.
cuhulin

Old July 29th 09, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

ooops, I reckon I was mistaken.That was a 1958 Ford rag top convertible
Elizabeth Taylor was driving in the movie.
cuhulin

Old July 29th 09, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:44:26 -0500, cuhulin wrote:

> Elizabeth Taylor in the 1958 movie, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, driving a
> 1958 Ford hard top convertible.(the movie is on the TCM channel right
> now) That is a nice convertible.Ford made them from 1957 to 1959.
> cuhulin

You gotta cut that out. TCM is no good for you.

Oh, wait, that's me again...

Old July 31st 09, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tim Wescott

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:22:04 -0700, Jeannot wrote:

> I'm looking at converting a 2004 crown victoria to a convertible. I can
> cut, I can weld, I can paint.
>
> Of course, my objective is NOT an automatic roof, or anything I can
> drive at 100mph, or anything air-tight. It'll be a very occasional
> drive...
>
> Is anyone crazy enough to have attempted something like that? What are
> the challenges?
>
> And people, please, no replies like "can't be done", "I wouldn't do it",
> etc...
>
> Thanks!

I just _can't_ lurk for a while on a newsgroup! I just read a post and
dive right in...

Pretty much since day 1 closed cars have gained a considerable amount of
body rigidity and strength from the roof. With new cars needing to be
light and crash-proof and all the rest this trend has only intensified.

So when stand there with your sawz-all eying the roof you're
contemplating cutting of a pretty major structural member of the car; if
you want to close the doors when you're done you'll have to replace that
strength before you challenge the car with anything even as mild as
_opening_ the doors.

Do Crown Vic's have frames? If so, then your life is eased somewhat, in
that you 'just' need to beef up the frame and (as already mentioned)
brace the door posts so they can't wiggle out of place. If the frame is
channel, boxing it from the cowl to the rear window will probably
suffice.

As soon as the roof comes off your door posts will be floppy; you'll need
to reinforce them _and_ the back of the cockpit. Cars like the '36 Ford
Phaeton and the '40 convertible did this with great big forged members
that braced the door posts to the frame; this works if there's a frame
member that can carry the load but then your road-noise suppression gets
in a big fight with your body rigidity.

Everything is complicated by the fact that you want strength right where
you can't have material. The best way to do it from a purely
reinforcement point of view would be to run a member straight across the
car, but your passengers might object. This leaves you with needing to
make big "U" shaped members that don't weigh much, don't get in the way,
and won't let their tips move appreciably even when you're exerting
considerable force on them.

Your job on the middle door posts will be complicated by the fact that
you need to lend strength not only against in and out motion, but against
fore and aft motion as well.

I'd seriously consider a member that went behind or under the rear of the
front seat that tied the two door posts together -- figure that it has to
stand up to someone slamming a front door at the same time that a ten
year old is swinging on an open rear door.

And finally, keep in mind that you can't learn stuff unless you screw
stuff up, and you can't screw up a project unless you start it.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Old July 31st 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:22:04 -0700, Jeannot wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at converting a 2004 crown victoria to a convertible. I can
>> cut, I can weld, I can paint.
>>
>> Of course, my objective is NOT an automatic roof, or anything I can
>> drive at 100mph, or anything air-tight. It'll be a very occasional
>> drive...
>>
>> Is anyone crazy enough to have attempted something like that? What are
>> the challenges?
>>
>> And people, please, no replies like "can't be done", "I wouldn't do it",
>> etc...
>>
>> Thanks!

Anything can be done.

However your looking at MAJOR problems.
First you need to stiffen the frame under the car, then add in more body
mounts to secure the center section of the body.
Now you need to add in structural parts to support the door posts and
those HEAVY doors.
Then you need to come up with places to mount the required shoulder
harnesses.
Now once you get done with all of that you will need to take it to the
DMV or whoever does your states/provinces vehicle inspections to get all
of what you have done approved. Then you will be able to title/register
and insure this vehicle.

Good luck.
Old August 1st 09, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tim Wescott

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:30:32 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

>> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:22:04 -0700, Jeannot wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking at converting a 2004 crown victoria to a convertible. I
>>> can cut, I can weld, I can paint.
>>>
>>> Of course, my objective is NOT an automatic roof, or anything I can
>>> drive at 100mph, or anything air-tight. It'll be a very occasional
>>> drive...
>>>
>>> Is anyone crazy enough to have attempted something like that? What are
>>> the challenges?
>>>
>>> And people, please, no replies like "can't be done", "I wouldn't do
>>> it", etc...
>>>
>>> Thanks!

> Anything can be done.
>
> However your looking at MAJOR problems. First you need to stiffen the
> frame under the car, then add in more body mounts to secure the center
> section of the body. Now you need to add in structural parts to support
> the door posts and those HEAVY doors.
> Then you need to come up with places to mount the required shoulder
> harnesses.
> Now once you get done with all of that you will need to take it to the
> DMV or whoever does your states/provinces vehicle inspections to get all
> of what you have done approved. Then you will be able to title/register
> and insure this vehicle.
>
> Good luck.

So remember to start the work just after you get your license tags!

(and don't listen to nay-sayers -- have fun with the car, instead).

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Old August 4th 09, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Harry Face

Hopefully the guy with the Crown Victoria lives in a state that doesn't
require state inspections or having to bring your car in someplace for
license plate tags.

harryface
91 Bonneville 319,065
05 Park Avenue 86,911