General Motors Dex-Cool problem

Old March 4th 05, 12:44 AM
kr0

Default General Motors Dex-Cool problem

There appears to be an issue with GM's Dex-Cool engine coolant. Consumers
have had problems with the cost of repairs as a result of the Dex-Cool
antifreeze not working as it was supposed to. If you check out
http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/dexcool2 they have the information
and what you can do about it. There is also a free case evaluation for those
who have had problems with this product. I hope this might be of some help.

kr0

Old March 4th 05, 01:37 AM
Kruse

kr0 wrote:
> There appears to be an issue with GM's Dex-Cool engine coolant.

Consumers
> have had problems with the cost of repairs as a result of the

Dex-Cool
> antifreeze not working as it was supposed to. If you check out
> http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/dexcool2 they have the

information
> and what you can do about it. There is also a free case evaluation

for those
> who have had problems with this product. I hope this might be of some

help.

> kr0

Judgement scenario #1:
The lawyers get $millions$ and each consumer MIGHT get a coupon for a
free jug of green anti-freeze. Yawn....

Judgement scenario #2:
The lawyers get $millions$ and you might get a couple of bucks off your
next work done at a GM dealership.
Another big yawn.....

People, wake up. If you don't like Dex-Cool in your car, drain it out
and put in something else.

Old March 4th 05, 08:16 AM
Comboverfish

Dexcool isn't bad as long as you don't go by (or past) the rediculously
long intervals claimed by Havoline et al. It also helps if you don't
have any coolant leaks that suck air ito the system.

Reality: most people don't give a damn about maintenance. When
something goes wrong (pitting, corrosion, waterpump failure) its often
thought to be the manufacturer's fault -- 'cause that's more
convenient!

If you get your free bottle of green propylene glycol courtesy of those
wonderful, giving class-action lawers then make sure you flush your
system with water until NOTHING but water comes out of the drain(s).
It's worth the extra half hour spent.

I stuck with Dexcool because I take care of my GM. Its a couple bucks
more and lasts maybe a year longer.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old March 4th 05, 10:04 AM
larry moe 'n curly

kr0 wrote:

> There appears to be an issue with GM's Dex-Cool engine
> coolant. Consumers have had problems with the cost of
> repairs as a result of the Dex-Cool antifreeze not working
> as it was supposed to.

Then why hasn't it caused problems with my 12-year old Ford, which
can't possibly be better quality than GM? I've been using Dex-cool in
it ever since it came out on the retail market, and kept it in for five
years the first time. The car originally had green stuff in it.

Old March 4th 05, 03:09 PM
HLS

"Comboverfish" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I stuck with Dexcool because I take care of my GM. Its a couple bucks
> more and lasts maybe a year longer.
>
> Toyota MDT in MO

Just as you say, it is probably okay for most purposes. No formulation I
have ever seen is ideal for combinations of brass, lead,aluminum, cast iron,
zinc etc metallugy found in modern autos. If you change coolant as one
should, then there will probably not be a problem.

However, if you own one of the GM wonder products which has the gasket or
manifold issues, antifreeze contamination into the crankcase can apparently
ruin
the entire engine in some cases. Not all engines of the effected versions
fail, and
not all homologous types are effected. I have not heard whether Dex-Cool
causes more damage under this sort of failure than traditional antifreeze.

GM has a clever tapdance routine for this...they don't recall and fix the
weakness since it is not a 'safety' issue. If your engine is effected
during the warranty period, then they will fix at it. If outside of this
period, you get an Oklahoma guarantee.

Old March 4th 05, 06:57 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 3 Mar 2005, Comboverfish wrote:

> Dexcool isn't bad as long as you don't go by (or past) the rediculously
> long intervals claimed by Havoline et al. It also helps if you don't
> have any coolant leaks that suck air ito the system.

It also helps if you only use Dexcool in systems designed for it. Dexcool
can attack some gasket and seal materials and even certain solders and
alloys. If your non-Dexcool system doesn't contain any such materials, you
probably won't have a problem. If your non-Dexcool system DOES contain
such materials, you are setting yourself up for potentially extensive and
expensive damage. I was a slow learner on this one; I had to watch Dexcool
eat three radiators, two heater cors and three head gaskets on three
separate non-GM cars, AND watch the results of dribbling some Dexcool on a
new head gasket, before it got through my head that Dexcool is not
an appropriate choice for just any ol' system.

You have to ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky?
Old March 4th 05, 07:07 PM
Steve

>>There appears to be an issue with GM's Dex-Cool engine
>>coolant.

Old news. Dex-cool seems OK in engines specifically built for it. If you
want a "modern" hybrid organic acid technology coolant for an older or
non-GM car, G-05 coolants appear to be a much, much, MUCH better choice.

Old March 4th 05, 08:18 PM
Comboverfish

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> It also helps if you only use Dexcool in systems designed for it.

Dexcool
> can attack some gasket and seal materials and even certain solders

and
> alloys. If your non-Dexcool system doesn't contain any such

materials, you
> probably won't have a problem. If your non-Dexcool system DOES

contain
> such materials, you are setting yourself up for potentially extensive

and
> expensive damage. I was a slow learner on this one; I had to watch

Dexcool
> eat three radiators, two heater cors and three head gaskets on three
> separate non-GM cars, AND watch the results of dribbling some Dexcool

on a
> new head gasket, before it got through my head that Dexcool is not
> an appropriate choice for just any ol' system.

I probably didn't make myself clear, but yeah, I only recommend using
it if it's factory fill for your car.

> You have to ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky?

Did you just insinuate that I'm a punk?

Toyota MDT in MO