Fair Price to Repair Camry Power Steering

Old December 13th 04, 01:26 AM
hhyatt

Default Fair Price to Repair Camry Power Steering

My brother had a recent problems with Camry power steering. I don't
know all details, but it seems that he noticed leakage from the car
that apparently came from PS pump. It was Sunday and the only place he
could find to work on it was a local tire store (in Marietta GA). His
son needed the car to travel back to school the next day so he agreed
to pay what semms to be an exorbitant price to have a new pump
installed -- I think it was something in the order of $400.

And then after driving the car home he noticed leakage from hoses and
Rack and Pinion. The mechanic said that the old pump was warn and that
the new one put out pressure that burst High Pressure hoses and damaged
seals in the Rack/Pinion. The total cost to repair was going to be
approx $1000. But since they should have noticed this potential
problem, they would do the additional work for cost of parts only.

Does anyone have experience with a problem similar to this and what is
a fair price for doing maintenance and repair of the PS system?

Old December 13th 04, 10:53 AM
Anthony

"hhyatt" > wrote in news:1102901194.966005.185240
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> My brother had a recent problems with Camry power steering. I don't
> know all details, but it seems that he noticed leakage from the car
> that apparently came from PS pump. It was Sunday and the only place he
> could find to work on it was a local tire store (in Marietta GA). His
> son needed the car to travel back to school the next day so he agreed
> to pay what semms to be an exorbitant price to have a new pump
> installed -- I think it was something in the order of $400.
>
> And then after driving the car home he noticed leakage from hoses and
> Rack and Pinion. The mechanic said that the old pump was warn and that
> the new one put out pressure that burst High Pressure hoses and damaged
> seals in the Rack/Pinion. The total cost to repair was going to be
> approx $1000. But since they should have noticed this potential
> problem, they would do the additional work for cost of parts only.
>
> Does anyone have experience with a problem similar to this and what is
> a fair price for doing maintenance and repair of the PS system?

Well, considering a rebuilt pump is ~$200, new probably $300. That doesn't
leave much for labor....so I do not thing the guy ripped him off. If he is
willing to replace the rack and hoses for parts only.....THAT is a good
deal, provided he is competent to do it.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email