Att: Speedy Jim.

Old April 15th 07, 08:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg

Default Att: Speedy Jim.

Hi Jim.

I went backwards on an url you posted to a .gif for a coil booster
relay, and then came across a pic of you age 4 with a radio.

Take a look at this and tell me what you think:
http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro....0.256.0.0.0.0

Worth the price? A tad steep me thinks, specially when shipping and 25%
import tax is added.
But would be cool to have a tube radio. Err, this one is rigged for 115V
I take it.. Would have to run it via a transformer, not so cool..

Jørn.
Old April 15th 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg

Berg wrote:
> Hi Jim.
>
> I went backwards on an url you posted to a .gif for a coil booster
> relay, and then came across a pic of you age 4 with a radio.
>
> Take a look at this and tell me what you think:
> http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro....0.256.0.0.0.0
>
> Worth the price? A tad steep me thinks, specially when shipping and 25%
> import tax is added.
> But would be cool to have a tube radio. Err, this one is rigged for 115V
> I take it.. Would have to run it via a transformer, not so cool..
>
> Jørn.

Ps. I have been Googling for a few hours and found several kits, most of
which are battery operated, so no problem with the current..

Build video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmVC6HqEWYY

Interesting kit:
http://www.hlj.com/product/GAK62133

More nice looking kits:
http://www.vcomp.co.uk/radiokits/radiokit.htm

J.

Old April 15th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Berg wrote:

> Hi Jim.
>
> I went backwards on an url you posted to a .gif for a coil booster
> relay, and then came across a pic of you age 4 with a radio.
>
> Take a look at this and tell me what you think:
> http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro....0.256.0.0.0.0
>
> Worth the price? A tad steep me thinks, specially when shipping and 25%
> import tax is added.
> But would be cool to have a tube radio. Err, this one is rigged for 115V
> I take it.. Would have to run it via a transformer, not so cool..
>
> Jørn.

HaHa! The pic of me goes with one of my stories in the STORY section.

Mine was no kit. I think it had 4 vacuum tubes and a beautiful
Bakelite case. Worth a king's ransom if I still had it :-(

The Radio Ace looks like an interesting project. I should think
they would offer it in a 230V version or maybe the little
transformer has additional winding taps.

Who could have imagined that there would be such a large market for
this kind of nostalgia? An industry in itself.

My vote goes for the Karakuri Mechanical Doll found in the
Hobby Link catalog. <g>

Jim
Old April 16th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg

Speedy Jim wrote:
> Berg wrote:
>
>> Hi Jim.
>>
>> I went backwards on an url you posted to a .gif for a coil booster
>> relay, and then came across a pic of you age 4 with a radio.
>>
>> Take a look at this and tell me what you think:
>> http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro....0.256.0.0.0.0
>>
>> Worth the price? A tad steep me thinks, specially when shipping and
>> 25% import tax is added.
>> But would be cool to have a tube radio. Err, this one is rigged for
>> 115V I take it.. Would have to run it via a transformer, not so cool..
>>
>> Jørn.

> HaHa! The pic of me goes with one of my stories in the STORY section.
>
> Mine was no kit. I think it had 4 vacuum tubes and a beautiful
> Bakelite case. Worth a king's ransom if I still had it :-(
>
> The Radio Ace looks like an interesting project. I should think
> they would offer it in a 230V version or maybe the little
> transformer has additional winding taps.
>
> Who could have imagined that there would be such a large market for
> this kind of nostalgia? An industry in itself.
>

> My vote goes for the Karakuri Mechanical Doll found in the
> Hobby Link catalog. <g>
> ber

Hi Mr.Jim.

I knew the radio in the pic was not a kit, just thought someone being
the age of four playing with elecs, and your status here as an über
meister when it comes to anything low voltage would be the right person
to ask.

I had hoped you would vote for the Jap kit with the funky antenna and
horn speaker. Just do not like the idea of having to use a headset,
worms in my ass(read: Move around at times even being home).

Thanks for taking a look though, much appreciated!

J.
Old April 16th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Berg wrote:

> Speedy Jim wrote:
>
>> Berg wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jim.
>>>
>>> I went backwards on an url you posted to a .gif for a coil booster
>>> relay, and then came across a pic of you age 4 with a radio.
>>>
>>> Take a look at this and tell me what you think:
>>> http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro....0.256.0.0.0.0
>>>
>>> Worth the price? A tad steep me thinks, specially when shipping and
>>> 25% import tax is added.
>>> But would be cool to have a tube radio. Err, this one is rigged for
>>> 115V I take it.. Would have to run it via a transformer, not so cool..
>>>
>>> Jørn.

>> HaHa! The pic of me goes with one of my stories in the STORY section.
>>
>> Mine was no kit. I think it had 4 vacuum tubes and a beautiful
>> Bakelite case. Worth a king's ransom if I still had it :-(
>>
>> The Radio Ace looks like an interesting project. I should think
>> they would offer it in a 230V version or maybe the little
>> transformer has additional winding taps.
>>
>> Who could have imagined that there would be such a large market for
>> this kind of nostalgia? An industry in itself.
>>

>> My vote goes for the Karakuri Mechanical Doll found in the
>> Hobby Link catalog. <g>
>> ber

> Hi Mr.Jim.
>
> I knew the radio in the pic was not a kit, just thought someone being
> the age of four playing with elecs, and your status here as an über
> meister when it comes to anything low voltage would be the right person
> to ask.
>
> I had hoped you would vote for the Jap kit with the funky antenna and
> horn speaker. Just do not like the idea of having to use a headset,
> worms in my ass(read: Move around at times even being home).
>
> Thanks for taking a look though, much appreciated!
>
> J.

I had another look at the Funky antenna and horn.

Yes! That's the one to get, although it may be more of
a toy than the pictures suggest.

And all for Jp 9000 Yen!

Fine Print Note:
"This item is an assembly kit of a space exploration vehicle or other
non-fictional mechanism. It requires both cement and painting to
complete or use."

HaHa!!

Jim

PS
2 photos from my "shop" when I was about 14:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/photos/JIMSHOP1.JPG
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/photos/JIMSHOP2.JPG

Old April 16th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg

Speedy Jim wrote:
> Berg wrote:
>
>> Speedy Jim wrote:

>>> HaHa! The pic of me goes with one of my stories in the STORY
>>> section.
>>>
>>> Mine was no kit. I think it had 4 vacuum tubes and a beautiful
>>> Bakelite case. Worth a king's ransom if I still had it :-(
>>>
>>> The Radio Ace looks like an interesting project. I should think
>>> they would offer it in a 230V version or maybe the little
>>> transformer has additional winding taps.
>>>
>>> Who could have imagined that there would be such a large market for
>>> this kind of nostalgia? An industry in itself.
>>>

>>> My vote goes for the Karakuri Mechanical Doll found in the
>>> Hobby Link catalog. <g>
>>> ber

>> Hi Mr.Jim.
>>
>> I knew the radio in the pic was not a kit, just thought someone being
>> the age of four playing with elecs, and your status here as an über
>> meister when it comes to anything low voltage would be the right
>> person to ask.
>>
>> I had hoped you would vote for the Jap kit with the funky antenna and
>> horn speaker. Just do not like the idea of having to use a headset,
>> worms in my ass(read: Move around at times even being home).
>>
>> Thanks for taking a look though, much appreciated!
>>
>> J.

> I had another look at the Funky antenna and horn.
>
> Yes! That's the one to get, although it may be more of
> a toy than the pictures suggest.
>
> And all for Jp 9000 Yen!
>
> Fine Print Note:
> "This item is an assembly kit of a space exploration vehicle or other
> non-fictional mechanism. It requires both cement and painting to
> complete or use."
>
> HaHa!!
>

> Jim
>

> PS
> 2 photos from my "shop" when I was about 14:
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/photos/JIMSHOP1.JPG
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/photos/JIMSHOP2.JPG

Cool, think I'll order one right away. Just have to try and find out if
there is anything to receive up here. did it mention frequency or band?
Have to go check..

Jørn.
Old April 16th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Berg wrote:
> Speedy Jim wrote:
>
>> Berg wrote:

>>> Hi Mr.Jim.
>>>
>>> I knew the radio in the pic was not a kit, just thought someone being
>>> the age of four playing with elecs, and your status here as an über
>>> meister when it comes to anything low voltage would be the right
>>> person to ask.
>>>
>>> I had hoped you would vote for the Jap kit with the funky antenna and
>>> horn speaker. Just do not like the idea of having to use a headset,
>>> worms in my ass(read: Move around at times even being home).
>>>
>>> Thanks for taking a look though, much appreciated!
>>>
>>> J.

>> I had another look at the Funky antenna and horn.
>>
>> Yes! That's the one to get, although it may be more of
>> a toy than the pictures suggest.
>>
>> And all for Jp 9000 Yen!
>>
>> Fine Print Note:
>> "This item is an assembly kit of a space exploration vehicle or other
>> non-fictional mechanism. It requires both cement and painting to
>> complete or use."
>>
>> HaHa!!
>>

>> Jim
>>

>> PS
>> 2 photos from my "shop" when I was about 14:
>> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/photos/JIMSHOP1.JPG
>> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/photos/JIMSHOP2.JPG
>>

> Cool, think I'll order one right away. Just have to try and find out if
> there is anything to receive up here. did it mention frequency or band?
> Have to go check..
>
> Jørn.

This page shows the parts in the kit:
http://www.hlj.com/product/GAK166609

I gather that the horn is not functional; they send
earphones with the kit.
There is a link on that page to the YouTube video that
a customer made.

North American AM stations are in the band from 550 KHz
to 1600 KHz. I assume that is what this radio is designed to cover.

Jim
Old April 17th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg

Speedy Jim wrote:
> Berg wrote:
>> Speedy Jim wrote:

>>> I had another look at the Funky antenna and horn.
>>>
>>> Yes! That's the one to get, although it may be more of
>>> a toy than the pictures suggest.
>>>
>>> And all for Jp 9000 Yen!
>>>
>>> Fine Print Note:
>>> "This item is an assembly kit of a space exploration vehicle or other
>>> non-fictional mechanism. It requires both cement and painting to
>>> complete or use."
>>>
>>> HaHa!!
>>>

>>> Jim
>>>

>>> PS
>>> 2 photos from my "shop" when I was about 14:
>>> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/photos/JIMSHOP1.JPG
>>> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/photos/JIMSHOP2.JPG
>>>

>> Cool, think I'll order one right away. Just have to try and find out
>> if there is anything to receive up here. did it mention frequency or
>> band? Have to go check..
>>
>> Jørn.

> This page shows the parts in the kit:
> http://www.hlj.com/product/GAK166609
>
> I gather that the horn is not functional; they send
> earphones with the kit.
> There is a link on that page to the YouTube video that
> a customer made.
>
> North American AM stations are in the band from 550 KHz
> to 1600 KHz. I assume that is what this radio is designed to cover.
>
> Jim

Kit is ordered.

Strange, I read somewhere a guy was complaining about the output until
he discovered the membrane was pushed in, once that was taken care of it
was ok. Time will tell..

Here is another kit I found interesting, replicating a German design:
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/72462.asp#
That was until I checked their shipping rates, 98,- USD to Norway, 98!!
Feck em!

Jørn.

Ps. I found the Jap kit both on E-bay and on a American site if you
should be interested.

Old April 17th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
john

Speedy Jim wrote:

> 2 photos from my "shop" when I was about 14:
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/photos/JIMSHOP1.JPG
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/photos/JIMSHOP2.JPG

Jim, you are just so retro!

Like I should talk. I still photograph with film. In fact, 400 more
rolls just arrived today.

Old April 17th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

john wrote:
> Speedy Jim wrote:
>
>> 2 photos from my "shop" when I was about 14:
>> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/photos/JIMSHOP1.JPG
>> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/photos/JIMSHOP2.JPG

> Jim, you are just so retro!
>
> Like I should talk. I still photograph with film. In fact, 400 more
> rolls just arrived today.

Actually, I broke down and got a digital camera recently.

400 rolls?? Sheesh.

Jim
"Long live the vacuum tube!"

Help Speedy Jim Mac VW air cooled 3 September 6th 06 10:20 PM
Speedy ...I hope you are out there... Juan VW air cooled 5 August 17th 06 08:40 PM
Speedy Jim to the rescue again David VW air cooled 1 July 21st 06 02:46 AM
PING: Speedy Jim... .. . rdoc VW air cooled 1 July 5th 06 02:41 PM
thanx Speedy Jim Dennis Wik VW air cooled 0 December 28th 04 02:14 AM