Brad nailer and tire inflator tank, dangerous?

Old December 11th 04, 10:33 AM
Leroy Mowry

Default Brad nailer and tire inflator tank, dangerous?

This pneumatics brad nailer calls for 55-100-psi, the 5G tank
supplies 120-psi. The instructions on the side of the tank says, "do
not use on pneumatics tools." It didn't say anything about single shot
nailers. The laws of physics yet is prove itself. But if anyone see
an imminent tank explosion from a hundreds brads let me know so
I can get a proper pancake tank. What is the danger with running
brad nailers off tire inflator tank?

Thanks

Old December 11th 04, 11:43 AM
Terry Coombs

Leroy Mowry wrote:
> This pneumatics brad nailer calls for 55-100-psi, the 5G tank
> supplies 120-psi. The instructions on the side of the tank says, "do
> not use on pneumatics tools." It didn't say anything about single shot
> nailers. The laws of physics yet is prove itself. But if anyone see
> an imminent tank explosion from a hundreds brads let me know so
> I can get a proper pancake tank. What is the danger with running
> brad nailers off tire inflator tank?
>
> Thanks

Since when is a brad nailer not a pneumatic tool ? You're going to cause
excessive wear on the moving parts of the nailer . I've seen nailers with
the bottom of the cylinder broken out from excessive pressure . The drive
pin can break . The piston o-rings can fail . And last but not least , the
casting can rupture - especially if it's one of the cheap imports .
Why not make a trip to the nearest hardware store and pick up a cheap
regulator and a couple of quick disconnects ?

--
Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"

Old December 11th 04, 02:49 PM
Ba r r y

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:33:45 GMT, "Leroy Mowry" > wrote:

> What is the danger with running
>brad nailers off tire inflator tank?

I do it all the time. I don't see what the problem could be.

Barry
Old December 11th 04, 02:52 PM
Ba r r y

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:49:54 GMT, Ba r r y
> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:33:45 GMT, "Leroy Mowry" > wrote:
>
>> What is the danger with running
>>brad nailers off tire inflator tank?

>I do it all the time. I don't see what the problem could be.
>
>Barry

Check that, I was assuming that you were using a regulator, as I do.

No regulator could be a problem. Most BORGs sell small regulators for
less than $20. I actually use a second regulator near the tool about
90% of the time, as it saves trips back to the compressor for fine
pressure adjustments.

Barry
Old December 13th 04, 05:27 PM
Lawrence Wasserman

In article >,
Terry Coombs > wrote:
>Leroy Mowry wrote:
>> This pneumatics brad nailer calls for 55-100-psi, the 5G tank
>> supplies 120-psi. The instructions on the side of the tank says, "do
>> not use on pneumatics tools." It didn't say anything about single shot
>> nailers. The laws of physics yet is prove itself. But if anyone see
>> an imminent tank explosion from a hundreds brads let me know so
>> I can get a proper pancake tank. What is the danger with running
>> brad nailers off tire inflator tank?
>>
>> Thanks

> Since when is a brad nailer not a pneumatic tool ? You're going to cause
>excessive wear on the moving parts of the nailer . I've seen nailers with
>the bottom of the cylinder broken out from excessive pressure . The drive
>pin can break . The piston o-rings can fail . And last but not least , the
>casting can rupture - especially if it's one of the cheap imports .
> Why not make a trip to the nearest hardware store and pick up a cheap
>regulator and a couple of quick disconnects ?
>
>--
>Snag aka OSG #1
>'76 FLH "Bag Lady"
>BS132 SENS NEWT
>"A hand shift is a manly shift ."
><shamelessly stolen>

Or until then, simply fill the tank to only 100psi?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Old December 13th 04, 06:01 PM

A brad nailer doesn't use very much air. I have a "proper" hotdog air
compresor for mine, and I can use up nearly a full load of brads before
it will trip the low pressure switch on the compressor. A framing
nailer is a different story. Only get about a dozen nails before it
cycles.

Depending on the size of his tank, the OP could do a reasonable amount
of work before needing to refill his tank. In any case, a regulator is
still highly recommended. For safety issues, and so one has a
consistent driving force.

JW