Compression Test

Old December 13th 04, 04:11 PM
William R. Watt

"Burt Squareman" ) writes:

> See link below for a practical method. What you want is
> to put some volume of air into a fully shut cylinder and
> listen at the oil cap, oil dipstick, radiator, muffler, or
> throttle body.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/dsmgrrrl/FAQs/leakdown.htm

listen with a lenth of hose stuck in one ear?

assume one could, like checking for a tire leak, also use soapy water or
maybe spray on some oil and look for visual evidence of air flow?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old December 13th 04, 05:24 PM
Don Bruder

In article >,
(William R. Watt) wrote:

> "Burt Squareman" ) writes:
>
> > See link below for a practical method. What you want is
> > to put some volume of air into a fully shut cylinder and
> > listen at the oil cap, oil dipstick, radiator, muffler, or
> > throttle body.

http://www.geocities.com/dsmgrrrl/FAQs/leakdown.htm

> listen with a lenth of hose stuck in one ear?

Yep, works great. Just like a doctor's stethoscope, only a whole bunch
cheaper. Besides... the end of a hose fits deep into the intake manifold
a whole lot easier than your ear - unless you've got one extremely tiny
ear!

> assume one could, like checking for a tire leak, also use soapy water or
> maybe spray on some oil and look for visual evidence of air flow?

Ehhhh... Yeah, kinda...
It's not going to do much for telling you about an intake valve that's
leaking back into the manifold, a stuck exhaust valve dumping the
compression out the tailpipe, or rings letting the pressure past and
into the crankcase. It MIGHT tell you that you've got a bad head gasket
if you coat the head/block seam. I doubt it would tell you anything
useful in the event of a cracked/otherwise compromised cylinder leaking
into the water jacket.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html> for full details.
Old December 13th 04, 05:37 PM
Dave Skirrow

Cheers guys, I'll give it a go before I remove the head again.

I should have known there would have been problems, this job went perfectly
smoothly from beginning to end, not one rusty bolt or problematic part, as I
was bolting down the last head bolts I was thinking, "blody hell, this is
easier than changing brake pads or something"

Doh.

Compression test question Kevin S Jeep 3 December 22nd 04 11:46 PM
How do I perform a "Current load test"? tuko Saturn 10 October 21st 04 10:54 PM
Dumb question regarding compression test on Audi a4 1.8t G Audi 5 June 23rd 04 06:47 PM
HELP! 88 Suzuki Samurai Won't pass emissions test BIG TIME! xyzzy 4x4 8 April 1st 04 05:48 PM