Winter oil for Canada

Old December 9th 04, 03:45 AM
el Diablo

Default Winter oil for Canada

"The Cat" > wrote in message
news
> If you live in Canada, you've probably heard of Quaker State's Winter oil.
> Haven't looked at the bottle yet, but I'm guessing it is a synthetic or
> synthetic blend with the word "Winter" on the bottle at twice the price.
> The 10W30 conventional oil in my car's engine did not perform too well at
> -40 last year, so I'm looking for an alternative, but not this offering.
>
> Would a synthetic blend perform better for cold starting than conventional
> oil? Is there a particular brand or rating that is more suited to the 14
> year old engine in my vehicle in these conditions (-40 degrees)? Would a
> conventional oil rated at 5W30 be just as good for less cost?
>
> Thanks in advance for tips or URLs.

Any 0W30 should give you adequate protection. Synthetics should how ever
flow to the motor parts faster when cold.

Brian

Old December 9th 04, 04:00 AM
frank-in-toronto

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:21:50 -0400, The Cat >
wrote:

>If you live in Canada, you've probably heard of Quaker State's Winter oil.
>Haven't looked at the bottle yet, but I'm guessing it is a synthetic or
>synthetic blend with the word "Winter" on the bottle at twice the price.
>The 10W30 conventional oil in my car's engine did not perform too well at
>-40 last year, so I'm looking for an alternative, but not this offering.
>
>Would a synthetic blend perform better for cold starting than conventional
>oil? Is there a particular brand or rating that is more suited to the 14
>year old engine in my vehicle in these conditions (-40 degrees)? Would a
>conventional oil rated at 5W30 be just as good for less cost?

-40 is a b**ch. hopefully it doesn't happen all the time.
at home, overnight, i would for sure use a block heater.
a couple of hours on before startup and it'll be toasty warm.
if this temp was long lasting i would definately have some
synthetic 5w30 in the engine. also, i would have a tip-top
battery and big jumper cables. having a spray can
of quick start in the trunk would be a good idea too.
i'm sure if you lok at your vehicle's chart, 10w30 is NOT
recommended for that temperature range.
....thehick
Old December 9th 04, 04:36 AM
y_p_w

frank-in-toronto wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:21:50 -0400, The Cat >
> wrote:
>

>>If you live in Canada, you've probably heard of Quaker State's Winter oil.
>>Haven't looked at the bottle yet, but I'm guessing it is a synthetic or
>>synthetic blend with the word "Winter" on the bottle at twice the price.
>>The 10W30 conventional oil in my car's engine did not perform too well at
>>-40 last year, so I'm looking for an alternative, but not this offering.
>>
>>Would a synthetic blend perform better for cold starting than conventional
>>oil? Is there a particular brand or rating that is more suited to the 14
>>year old engine in my vehicle in these conditions (-40 degrees)? Would a
>>conventional oil rated at 5W30 be just as good for less cost?

> -40 is a b**ch. hopefully it doesn't happen all the time.
> at home, overnight, i would for sure use a block heater.
> a couple of hours on before startup and it'll be toasty warm.
> if this temp was long lasting i would definately have some
> synthetic 5w30 in the engine. also, i would have a tip-top
> battery and big jumper cables. having a spray can
> of quick start in the trunk would be a good idea too.
> i'm sure if you lok at your vehicle's chart, 10w30 is NOT
> recommended for that temperature range.
> ...thehick

Sheesh. If it's that cold, I wouldn't consider anything but a
true PAO/ester synthetic motor oil like Mobil 1. Valvoline may
use that base in their synthetic oil, although not in all their
weights. I wouldn't use Castrol Syntec after they dumbed down
their formula. However - I might consider their German made
Castrol 0W-30, which is supposed to be a true PAO/ester synthetic.
I'm not sure how hard it is to find though.

So - Mobil 1 0W-30 or 5W-30 would probably be the easiest to
find for your requirements.

Old December 9th 04, 06:43 AM
Ray

The Cat wrote:
> If you live in Canada, you've probably heard of Quaker State's Winter oil.
> Haven't looked at the bottle yet, but I'm guessing it is a synthetic or
> synthetic blend with the word "Winter" on the bottle at twice the price.
> The 10W30 conventional oil in my car's engine did not perform too well at
> -40 last year, so I'm looking for an alternative, but not this offering.
>
> Would a synthetic blend perform better for cold starting than conventional
> oil? Is there a particular brand or rating that is more suited to the 14
> year old engine in my vehicle in these conditions (-40 degrees)? Would a
> conventional oil rated at 5W30 be just as good for less cost?
>
> Thanks in advance for tips or URLs.

I've started to use 0w30 in my 2.8 Jimmy with 275,000km for the winter.
When it's -30 and I forgot to plug in at work, it turns over like it was
zero. I live in Manitoba, where we had a week where it didn't get ABOVE
-30. The only downside - I think the valve cover leak leaked more
because the stuff is a bit thinner. Changing back to 5w30 in the summer
was easier than doing the gaskets. (yes, I'm lazy and busy.)

Anyway, try 0w30. Same price as regular synthetic.

Btw, what kind/year of car? Most cars now spec 5w30 for -40 operation.

Ray
Old December 12th 04, 10:56 PM
Denny B

I live in Calgary and one thing I don't have to do is tell you
about the weather here.
Do a test yourself, get two small containers, fill one with regular
5W-30 oil. The other fill with 5W-30 synthetic oil. ( I use Mobil 1
or Valvoline. Any brand name synthetic should do. )
leave overnight in -30degree temp. In the morning
take one container in each hand and turn them over at the same time
and see what happens. Without asking anybody this should tell you
wich oil to use in -30, -40 degree temp. Here in Calgary I use 5W-30
synthetic oil December to end of Februay. The rest of the year
I use 10-30 regular oil. I drive a 1981 Ford Fairmont with 250,000Km.
The story about synthetic oil ruining gaskets in older vehicles or
synthetic
oil leaks is nothing but garbage from people who don't use synthetic
oil.

If I lived where the temperature never dropped below -0 degrees
I would never ever even think of using synthetic oil. It would just be
fad to talk about to others. I use synthetic oil for three months
because I
have to. NO PLUGGING IN MY BLOCK HEATER AT WORK.

Denny B