Rebuilding steering gear box?

Old December 13th 04, 03:37 PM
Bruce Chang

Default Rebuilding steering gear box?

I've got an 89 Firebird T/A with the death wobble and yesterday I was
underneath and trying to figure out if I had a bad ball joint or something
in the steering linkage that was loose but couldn't find anything. The only
thing I have is a leaky steering box that looks like the pitman arm is
slowly falling out of the box. I was wondering how much trouble it is to
rebuild it? I know it would be easier to just replace it but I like the
idea of fixing it. Anyone know what I should expect to run into? I've
skimmed the internet and found this website:

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/steeringbox.php

It seems to give me most everything I need to know.

Anyone have any hints, tips or comments? Thanks in advance.

-Bruce

Old December 13th 04, 04:24 PM
Mike Romain

A leaky box won't cause the 'death wobble' usually. It sure can be the
result of it though....

If you get the rebuild kit, it comes with proper instructions. They
work well. I recently helped a gent do his and have helped a few
others.

Getting the pitman off is real 'fun' sometimes... A 5 or 10 lb hammer
might be needed to 'convince' it to move.

I would be checking the tires for trouble by rotating them and wheel
bearings by jacking up the wheel and see if there is play to try and
find the wobble cause.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Bruce Chang wrote:

> I've got an 89 Firebird T/A with the death wobble and yesterday I was
> underneath and trying to figure out if I had a bad ball joint or something
> in the steering linkage that was loose but couldn't find anything. The only
> thing I have is a leaky steering box that looks like the pitman arm is
> slowly falling out of the box. I was wondering how much trouble it is to
> rebuild it? I know it would be easier to just replace it but I like the
> idea of fixing it. Anyone know what I should expect to run into? I've
> skimmed the internet and found this website:
>
> http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/steeringbox.php
>
> It seems to give me most everything I need to know.
>
> Anyone have any hints, tips or comments? Thanks in advance.
>
> -Bruce

528i vs 530i vs 540i USA Versions FSJ BMW 37 January 16th 05 06:38 PM
Noisey VUE Scout Saturn 5 January 16th 05 12:59 AM
Cracked Steering Damper Assembly- Be careful Jason 4x4 2 May 19th 04 12:42 PM