'75 1800 cc. pancake with Syntehtic oil?

Old April 14th 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill[_20_]

Default '75 1800 cc. pancake with Syntehtic oil?

Hello,

Firstly, thanks for previous info offered on other subjects recently!
They have been most helpful.

I am wondering if putting full synthetic oil in the 1800cc aircooled
bus will cause any problems with the old type eengine seals. It runs
nicely now, and doesnt use oil, (dripping, or burning). I just wouldnt
want to disturb it, and cause problems if it doesnt like it.

Thanks again,

Bill
Old April 15th 07, 07:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg

Bill wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Firstly, thanks for previous info offered on other subjects recently!
> They have been most helpful.
>
> I am wondering if putting full synthetic oil in the 1800cc aircooled
> bus will cause any problems with the old type eengine seals. It runs
> nicely now, and doesnt use oil, (dripping, or burning). I just wouldnt
> want to disturb it, and cause problems if it doesnt like it.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Bill

Nope, no problems with seals. There are debates on the different synth
oils ability to transfer heat though.

Check this site:
www.Bobistheoilguy.com

And Mr. Raby has done some research:
http://forums.aircooledtechnology.com

Then there is the ultimate T4 site:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewfo...9a4bc16f 327d

Enjoy!

J.
Old April 16th 07, 06:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Harry Smith

On Apr 14, 7:53 am, (Bill) wrote:

> I am wondering if putting full synthetic oil in the 1800cc aircooled
> bus will cause any problems with the old type eengine seals. It runs
> nicely now, and doesnt use oil, (dripping, or burning). I just wouldnt
> want to disturb it, and cause problems if it doesnt like it.

It is unlikely to cause any problems. We've all heard the stories
about synthetics causing leaks, and I think I read an actual report
about a problem with a very early blend of Mobil 1, but I've never
seen it happen. Everyone agrees it's better--just more expensive.
Since you've got an oil filter, go ahead and run it. With these
aircooled engines its a nice safetly net. I'd feel safe going 5 or 6k
between changes like that, if you're watching the temps.

Just my opinions of course.

Peace,
Harry

Old April 18th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Henry Q. Bibb[_2_]

> On Apr 14, 7:53 am, (Bill) wrote:
> >
> > I am wondering if putting full synthetic oil in the 1800cc aircooled
> > bus will cause any problems with the old type eengine seals. It runs
> > nicely now, and doesnt use oil, (dripping, or burning). I just wouldnt
> > want to disturb it, and cause problems if it doesnt like it.

'Tain't the same thing, of course, but Mobil recalled it's synthetic
aviation oil because of problems in air-cooled Continental and Lycoming
4-bangers. I don't remember the details, but I seem to recall there
were some issue with cam wear or some such.

Now, the aircraft engine isn't a VW, and it probably works harder, but I
think I'd be wary.

Henry Bibb