97' Chevy AC not cooling cabin down fast

Old June 28th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 97' Chevy AC not cooling cabin down fast

I had Freon added to my AC and it drops 30degrees but it takes a long time
to get cold off. Do you think the Freon is leaking out or is there another
component that could cause this?

Thanks,
Gary

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Old June 28th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

The temp and cooling time is dependent on cabin size, temp and humidity,
your question is too subjective for an accurate answer

Old June 28th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"NewsGroups" > wrote in message
> I had Freon added to my AC and it drops 30degrees but it takes a long time
> to get cold off. Do you think the Freon is leaking out or is there another
> component that could cause this?
>
> Thanks,
> Gary
>

> I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
> http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

What year, make, and model? What kind of Freon? What were the High side and
Low side pressure readings. What was the condensor temperature? What was the
air temperature at the dash vents? We need more information to give an
opinion.

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old June 29th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 18:54:47 GMT, "NewsGroups" >
wrote:

>I had Freon added to my AC

Does anybody know if the system actually contains the proper charge?
Guessing does NOT work! If it's not cold add "freon" (actually
HC-134 for this application), if still not cold add MORE -- that does
NOT work either! If the system has compressor or expansion valve/
expansion tube problems the ONLY way to know the charge is correct is
to evacuate and refill per manufacturer's spec.

>and it drops 30degrees but it takes a long time
>to get cold off. Do you think the Freon is leaking out or is there another
>component

Weak compressor, blend door malfunction, expansion tube/valve,
restricted drier, poor fan clutch, air or moisture in the system,
excess oil in the system, bogus refrigerant, excess refrigerant,
debris blocking condensor fins, debris such as mats of dog hairs
blocking evaporator fins, damaged ductwork.

Professional service advised!

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

Old July 1st 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
NewsGroups

Chevy S-10 4x4 6cyl '97 w/extended cab.
It used to:
1) Get to a lower temp
2) Cool off the cabin quicker

I don't know much about cars. What I'm trying to find out is, with
compressors, evaporators and condensers, what are the most plausible reasons
for the AC to take much longer than it used to to get to it's coldest
temperature (assuming all other outside variable (outside temp, etc.) are
the same)?

It used to start blowing real cold air within just a couple of minutes -
even on really hot days. Now it seems to take 20 minutes on real hot days.