fwd **** propagation

Old September 2nd 13, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek

Default JB's hatred of BMW because a BMW driver was mean to him once

On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 08:51:30 -0400, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>On 9/2/2013 8:23 AM, T0m $herman wrote:
>> What happened to the good old Torsen differential that worked with no
>> electronics needed?
>>

>I believe that the Quaife currently offered (that I mentioned above) is
>basically a new updated version of the old Gleason Torsen. I don't know
>whatever happened to Torsen (tm) diffs, they seem to have kind of
>dropped off the face of the earth, but a Quaife is pretty much the same
>thing.

Aren't the Torsens in both the newer Mustangs, and Genesis Coupes?
Old September 2nd 13, 06:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 9/2/2013 11:21 AM, Bill Vanek wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 08:51:30 -0400, Nate Nagel >
> wrote:
>
>> On 9/2/2013 8:23 AM, T0m $herman wrote:
>>> What happened to the good old Torsen differential that worked with no
>>> electronics needed?
>>>

>> I believe that the Quaife currently offered (that I mentioned above) is
>> basically a new updated version of the old Gleason Torsen. I don't know
>> whatever happened to Torsen (tm) diffs, they seem to have kind of
>> dropped off the face of the earth, but a Quaife is pretty much the same
>> thing.

> Aren't the Torsens in both the newer Mustangs, and Genesis Coupes?

Don't know, haven't put much effort into researching either of those
vehicles. The names I've seen mentioned regularly currently
available LSDs of various types for the vehicles I have paid attention
to are Quaife, OS Giken, and Wavetrac.

nate
Old September 2nd 13, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek

On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 13:45:02 -0400, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>On 9/2/2013 11:21 AM, Bill Vanek wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 08:51:30 -0400, Nate Nagel >
>> wrote:

>>> I believe that the Quaife currently offered (that I mentioned above) is
>>> basically a new updated version of the old Gleason Torsen. I don't know
>>> whatever happened to Torsen (tm) diffs, they seem to have kind of
>>> dropped off the face of the earth, but a Quaife is pretty much the same
>>> thing.

>> Aren't the Torsens in both the newer Mustangs, and Genesis Coupes?
>>

>Don't know, haven't put much effort into researching either of those
>vehicles. The names I've seen mentioned regularly currently
>available LSDs of various types for the vehicles I have paid attention
>to are Quaife, OS Giken, and Wavetrac.

I was looking at both cars, and I swear I saw Torsen on the stickers.
Maybe the Camaro too.
Old September 3rd 13, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default fwd **** propagation

On Friday, August 30, 2013 8:53:11 AM UTC+3, T0m $herman wrote:
> On 8/28/2013 8:49 AM, wrote:

> >> Two or four wheels? The BMW C600 and C650 are competitively priced, and

> >> being for the most part KYMCO made assemblies shipped to Germany for

> >> final assembly, should be mechanically reliable - Taiwanese quality can

> >> be very good these days.

> > I never tracked 2 wheel bimmers. Are C600 and C650 dissimilar

> > as VFR700 and 750 were in the 80s?

> In typical BMW fashion, model numbers and displacements do not always
>
> match - the C600 and C650 using identical power-trains, suspension
>
> components, frames, etc.
>

> By the way: 4 wheels is a Bimmer, 2 wheels is Beemer.

I always get the two confused

> > there are no save hogsley dudeson import tariffs these days

> > so I;ve got to ask why have such a fat model line.

> Really not that much duplication, and many of the differences cost
>
> little extra in development.

well
http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2013/r...mw-c600-sport/
for $9.5k there must be other options, though ergonomics
is something that is always a sell to the 40+ set.
If I were not **** poor and way past the 2 wheel mode I
might've considered that over smthing like yamaha F6.
(which i believe is much lighter, but does not offer
nearly as many creature comforts)

I think I've way past the spartan cocpits of jap bikes.
Wind buffeting is not my thing for sure.
And you do get a lots of that even on smth like GTS1000A.
That or scary twisting of an aftermarket taller screen
(that is killing ya in cal 100F+ heat, dunno how goldbarge owners cope)
Old September 3rd 13, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> >> side-side slip. A Quaife is a popular retrofit.
>

> > As is a switch to Audi A5 who does not play as stupid with its clientele

> > and offers an honest to gawd active diff in the ass.

> What happened to the good old Torsen differential that worked with no
>
> electronics needed?

I was referring to the active rear diff in the rear axle of the A5,
not the torsen diff between the axles.
But torsen seems to be on the way out on A4, dunno about A5.
A4 obviously has an open diff in the rear axle
no expensive active diff option is offered.

> I can see a lot of current vehicles going to the junkyard prematurely,
>
> due to the heinous cost of fixing the electronic gee-gaws when they go bad.

I'd imagine A5 will be still driveable (and marginally awd) when active diff goes caput. Just less so after that failure.

I also hate the completely electronic awd systems with not
a single mechanical diff to fallback to in case of a permanent or
a transient failure (diff overheating while soft/offroading)

but given the CAFE collar automakers have to work against
to repel JB oilcos conspiracy theories it;s no wonder
manufacturers of vehicles with mechanical diffs are dropping like flies.

Brits are toying with the idea altering their regs to allow Land Rover Defender
to stay afloat for a few years before it falls prey to the
"new and improved" regulations.

Hopefully they'll keep making it for export once the inevitable idiot
takeover takes place. Could we have a 2 or 3 real jeeps remain in
production pleeeeese?
Old September 3rd 13, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

wrote:

>>> I never tracked 2 wheel bimmers. Are C600 and C650 dissimilar

>>> as VFR700 and 750 were in the 80s?

>> In typical BMW fashion, model numbers and displacements do not always
>>
>> match - the C600 and C650 using identical power-trains, suspension
>>
>> components, frames, etc.
>>

>> By the way: 4 wheels is a Bimmer, 2 wheels is Beemer.
>>

> I always get the two confused
>

>>> there are no save hogsley dudeson import tariffs these days

>>> so I;ve got to ask why have such a fat model line.

>> Really not that much duplication, and many of the differences cost
>>
>> little extra in development.
>>

> well

http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2013/r...mw-c600-sport/
> for $9.5k there must be other options, though ergonomics
> is something that is always a sell to the 40+ set.
> If I were not **** poor and way past the 2 wheel mode I
> might've considered that over smthing like yamaha F6.
> (which i believe is much lighter, but does not offer
> nearly as many creature comforts)

Other that maybe canyon runs in parts of inner California where traffic
cops and other traffic are rare, race-replica bikes such as the R6 are a
pain - the bent forward position makes it hard to see traffic, and the
helmet makes it hard to hold your head up to see unless you are at 90+
mph where the wind helps.

> I think I've way past the spartan cocpits of jap bikes.
> Wind buffeting is not my thing for sure.
> And you do get a lots of that even on smth like GTS1000A.
> That or scary twisting of an aftermarket taller screen
> (that is killing ya in cal 100F+ heat, dunno how goldbarge owners cope)

The sales of "adventure touring" bikes is driven by people who find
sport-bikes too uncomfortable and unpractical to ride on the street, but
do not want to be seen on an "Old Wing", or even worse, a cruiser.

--
T0m $herm@n