A4 B6 Rear cowl replacement: considering ditching the carpet for plastic

Old January 8th 13, 11:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

Default A4 B6 Rear cowl replacement: considering ditching the carpet for plastic

I'm thinking to ditch the carpet in favor of plastic in the rear wheel
wells of my A4.
the carpet seems to be cutesy of the improved sound insulation (that
was likely a part of the sport package).

Sooo, me thinks going plastic with a twist: attach sound deadener mats
on the inside
and/or outside of the cowl. Any ideas what the cons would be and how
well the bolts
and nuts would support the additional weight?

There seems to be an attachment point on top of rear left
wheel well but not on the rear right, if the body shop frontman is to
be trusted
(I have asked when they coaxed the carpet back into the well why they
have attached
it twicely on the rear (right) but not with a single fastener on the
top of the cowl: he said it's the usual
arrangement when the mat is stuffed into the well and prevented from
moving about
by the attachments on the opposite sides of the well only, which
makes me wonder about that additional top attachment point in the left
well)

P.S. 4-5" of road clearance are not really that much conducive to
gravel road
travelling so I wonder if I should bother with the extra mats: the
sound
deadeners inside the cabin seems sufficient but there has to be a
reason
ingolstadt used plastic in the front arches but used carpet like
material in the rear
of my avant.

tnx