See there's this Thing....

Old October 7th 12, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Default See there's this Thing....

For a while now, I have spotted a yellow Thing parked outside a house on
my way home, maybe 5 miles from my house. It looks to be in somewhat sad
shape, missing one headlight and looks like the RR tire may be shredded
to pieces. It has not moved, and I don't think it has been touched all
summer. Not sure how long it's been there, maybe since I lived in this
house (2 years) but only this summer I happened to see it there for the
first time.
I'm tempted to find out if they would want to get rid of it. If I had a
couple hundred to lay on the table..... who knows.

Whatcha think? The top is down and/or missing, so the floorpans and what
interior may be there, may no longer "be there". Can't see if it has an
engine.

Worth anything? It might alleviate my pain of not having an aircooled VW
to tinker with. My neighbor says I can keep it in one of his garages
and work on it there. My lease prevents me from having more than 2 cars,
and both need to be titled, insured, inspected etc.... i.e. no projects
cars littering the landscape. Long story, I had to accept their terms to
get the house and the owner was freaked out about my neighbor's
"unsightly" yard with vintage MG's scattered all over.

he does have an aircooled bay window bus too so he can't be all bad

jan
Old October 7th 12, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

On 10/6/2012 9:33 PM, Jan Andersson wrote:
> For a while now, I have spotted a yellow Thing parked outside a house on
> my way home, maybe 5 miles from my house. It looks to be in somewhat sad
> shape, missing one headlight and looks like the RR tire may be shredded
> to pieces. It has not moved, and I don't think it has been touched all
> summer. Not sure how long it's been there, maybe since I lived in this
> house (2 years) but only this summer I happened to see it there for the
> first time.
> I'm tempted to find out if they would want to get rid of it. If I had a
> couple hundred to lay on the table..... who knows.
>
> Whatcha think? The top is down and/or missing, so the floorpans and what
> interior may be there, may no longer "be there". Can't see if it has an
> engine.
>
> Worth anything? It might alleviate my pain of not having an aircooled VW
> to tinker with. My neighbor says I can keep it in one of his garages and
> work on it there. My lease prevents me from having more than 2 cars, and
> both need to be titled, insured, inspected etc.... i.e. no projects cars
> littering the landscape. Long story, I had to accept their terms to get
> the house and the owner was freaked out about my neighbor's "unsightly"
> yard with vintage MG's scattered all over.
>
> he does have an aircooled bay window bus too so he can't be all bad
>
> jan

I also spotted a DeLorean under a carport on the other side of town, but
but it's not what I would want, and probably couldn't be had for a
couple hundred bux...

Old October 7th 12, 06:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_9_]

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 03:33:05 +0200, Jan Andersson
> wrote:

> For a while now, I have spotted a yellow Thing parked outside a house on
> my way home, maybe 5 miles from my house. It looks to be in somewhat sad
> shape, missing one headlight and looks like the RR tire may be shredded
> to pieces. It has not moved, and I don't think it has been touched all
> summer. Not sure how long it's been there, maybe since I lived in this
> house (2 years) but only this summer I happened to see it there for the
> first time.
> I'm tempted to find out if they would want to get rid of it. If I had a
> couple hundred to lay on the table..... who knows.
>
> Whatcha think? The top is down and/or missing, so the floorpans and what
> interior may be there, may no longer "be there". Can't see if it has an
> engine.
>
> Worth anything? It might alleviate my pain of not having an aircooled VW
> to tinker with. My neighbor says I can keep it in one of his garages
> and work on it there. My lease prevents me from having more than 2 cars,
> and both need to be titled, insured, inspected etc.... i.e. no projects
> cars littering the landscape. Long story, I had to accept their terms to
> get the house and the owner was freaked out about my neighbor's
> "unsightly" yard with vintage MG's scattered all over.
>
> he does have an aircooled bay window bus too so he can't be all bad
>
> jan

Don't even think about it, at least talk to the owner.

J.

Old October 8th 12, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
ChrisKlinger

Jan Andersson wrote:

> For a while now, I have spotted a yellow Thing parked

outside a house on
> my way home, maybe 5 miles from my house. It looks to be in

somewhat sad
> shape, missing one headlight and looks like the RR tire may

be shredded
> to pieces. It has not moved, and I don't think it has been

touched all
> summer. Not sure how long it's been there, maybe since I

lived in this
> house (2 years) but only this summer I happened to see it

there for the
> first time.
> I'm tempted to find out if they would want to get rid of it.

If I had a
> couple hundred to lay on the table..... who knows.
>
> Whatcha think? The top is down and/or missing, so the

floorpans and what
> interior may be there, may no longer "be there". Can't see

if it has an
> engine.
>
> Worth anything? It might alleviate my pain of not having an

aircooled VW
> to tinker with. My neighbor says I can keep it in one of

his garages
> and work on it there. My lease prevents me from having more

than 2 cars,
> and both need to be titled, insured, inspected etc.... i.e.

no projects
> cars littering the landscape. Long story, I had to accept

their terms to
> get the house and the owner was freaked out about my

neighbor's
> "unsightly" yard with vintage MG's scattered all over.
>
> he does have an aircooled bay window bus too so he can't be

all bad

> jan

Absolutely go and find out; nothing but a few minutes to lose.

Oh, and... Bay Window type 2 ? He can't be that good, either

Chris
Old October 8th 12, 10:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AllanW[_2_]

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
> For a while now,......> jan

:-) It will have "evolved" it's own drainholes by now!

At least stop and say hi - they may tell you to take the manky old wreck
away, before they dump it.

More likely they'll say they're going to "restore" it, and it's worth about
$25000... seems to be the standard answer!

Allan.

Old October 10th 12, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Saturday, October 6, 2012 9:33:05 PM UTC-4, Jan Andersson wrote:
> For a while now, I have spotted a yellow Thing parked outside a house on my way home, maybe 5 miles from my house. It looks to be in somewhat sad shape, missing one headlight and looks like the RR tire may be shredded to pieces. It has not moved, and I don't think it has been touched all summer. Not sure how long it's been there, maybe since I lived in this house (2 years) but only this summer I happened to see it there for the first time. I'm tempted to find out if they would want to get rid of it. If I had a couple hundred to lay on the table..... who knows. Whatcha think? The top is down and/or missing, so the floorpans and what interior may be there, may no longer "be there". Can't see if it has an engine. Worth anything? It might alleviate my pain of not having an aircooled VW to tinker with. My neighbor says I can keep it in one of his garages and work on it there. My lease prevents me from having more than 2 cars, and both need to be titled, insured, inspected etc.... i.e. no projects cars littering the landscape. Long story, I had to accept their terms to get the house and the owner was freaked out about my neighbor's "unsightly" yard with vintage MG's scattered all over. he does have an aircooled bay window bus too so he can't be all bad jan

Jan some of the nicest VW's I've had including my blue and silver 64 was a "get it out of the yard" it would make some of their jaws drop when I drove them out only after a few minutes of playing with it.
It won't hurt to ask

49er - A Red Thing - fvr.jpg (1/1) [486K] - A Red Thing - fvr.jpg (1/1) Doby Car Show Photos 0 July 1st 09 05:52 PM
49er - A Red Thing - fvr.jpg (1/1) [486K] - A Red Thing - fvr.jpg (0/1) Doby Car Show Photos 0 July 1st 09 05:52 PM
What's This Thing . . . ? NickD Ford Explorer 4 February 9th 07 06:49 AM
What is this thing? Carl Saiyed Jeep 9 February 16th 05 09:24 PM
VW THING [email protected] VW air cooled 3 January 6th 05 03:19 AM