'69 KG directionals dead.

Old May 12th 12, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mr. K[_2_]

Default '69 KG directionals dead.

Is the directionals part of the emergency flashers circuit?
first the emergencies went out and now nothing. do they share the same
flasher relay unit?
--
Karma, What a concept!
Old May 12th 12, 10:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

In my 70 T3 its the same relay. Wont affect the flash rate driving all four
lamps because it is designed to detect a halving off current when a lamp
goes out. Current obviously increases when all four lamps go on. You can pop
the cover off these flasher relays and clean contacts.
Its a fiddle but you can also uncrimp the emergency switch and clean
contacts there. Probably just as easy to spend a few dollars and get a new
one. Fuses ok?

Old May 12th 12, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mr. K[_2_]

In article >,
"John" > wrote:

> In my 70 T3 its the same relay. Wont affect the flash rate driving all four
> lamps because it is designed to detect a halving off current when a lamp
> goes out. Current obviously increases when all four lamps go on. You can pop
> the cover off these flasher relays and clean contacts.
> Its a fiddle but you can also uncrimp the emergency switch and clean
> contacts there. Probably just as easy to spend a few dollars and get a new
> one. Fuses ok?
> "Mr. K" > wrote in message
> > Is the directionals part of the emergency flashers circuit?
> > first the emergencies went out and now nothing. do they share the same
> > flasher relay unit?
> > --
> > Karma, What a concept!

Mystery close to solved. replacing the flasher. 3 prong square pants.
didn't do the deed. so in my infinite wisdom I pulled on a few wires
and voila they are now working. only 43 y.o. and the connectors must
have oxidized. /The emergency flashers still don't work, I wonder who
has these parts.
Thanks for the help.
--
Karma, What a concept!
Old May 13th 12, 06:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Leary

"Mr. K" wrote in message
> The emergency flashers still don't work, I wonder who has
> these parts.

You might try Volkswagen. Yes, logic says they won't have parts for a 43
year old car. And they probably won't. But I've had a couple of
experiences with them that were surprising. Their parts indexing is pretty
good and they've found things against all reason. My particular project is
only 25 years old, but they recently found "only two in the country" for an
oil pump I needed.

- Bill

Old May 14th 12, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

I very much suspect the problem is the emergency switch if blinkers now work
ok. When operated, terminal 49a connects to
terminals L and R on switch and the "+" terminal swaps over from terminal 15
to 30. See if you can get some contact lubricant / cleaned into the switch
and operate it a few dozen times.

Old May 24th 12, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mr. K[_2_]

In article >,
"John" > wrote:

> I very much suspect the problem is the emergency switch if blinkers now work
> ok. When operated, terminal 49a connects to
> terminals L and R on switch and the "+" terminal swaps over from terminal 15
> to 30. See if you can get some contact lubricant / cleaned into the switch
> and operate it a few dozen times.
> "Mr. K" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "John" > wrote:
> >
> >> In my 70 T3 its the same relay. Wont affect the flash rate driving all
> >> four
> >> lamps because it is designed to detect a halving off current when a lamp
> >> goes out. Current obviously increases when all four lamps go on. You can
> >> pop
> >> the cover off these flasher relays and clean contacts.
> >> Its a fiddle but you can also uncrimp the emergency switch and clean
> >> contacts there. Probably just as easy to spend a few dollars and get a
> >> new
> >> one. Fuses ok?

> > Mystery close to solved. replacing the flasher. 3 prong square pants.
> > didn't do the deed. so in my infinite wisdom I pulled on a few wires
> > and voila they are now working. only 43 y.o. and the connectors must
> > have oxidized. /The emergency flashers still don't work, I wonder who
> > has these parts.
> > Thanks for the help.
> > --
> > Karma, What a concept!

yeah, I'll try that. thanks again.
Let's keep those ACVW's alive.
or die trying.
--
Karma, What a concept!
Old June 17th 12, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 05/24/2012 10:59 AM, Mr. K wrote:
> In om.au>,
> > wrote:
>
>> I very much suspect the problem is the emergency switch if blinkers now work
>> ok. When operated, terminal 49a connects to
>> terminals L and R on switch and the "+" terminal swaps over from terminal 15
>> to 30. See if you can get some contact lubricant / cleaned into the switch
>> and operate it a few dozen times.
>> "Mr. > wrote in message
>>> In om.au>,

>>> Mystery close to solved. replacing the flasher. 3 prong square pants.
>>> didn't do the deed. so in my infinite wisdom I pulled on a few wires
>>> and voila they are now working. only 43 y.o. and the connectors must
>>> have oxidized. /The emergency flashers still don't work, I wonder who
>>> has these parts.
>>> Thanks for the help.
>>> --
>>> Karma, What a concept!

> yeah, I'll try that. thanks again.
> Let's keep those ACVW's alive.
> or die trying.

I really like Deoxit for these kinds of things. Have used it on
(non-VW) terminals that were covered in dried acid, after dunking them
in a baking soda solution and rinsing. As long as the terminals an
wires are mechanically OK it does a good job. Packing with silicone
grease afterwards helps prevent future corrosion, although the Deoxit
supposedly has some corrosion protection properties itself.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old June 17th 12, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
LeRoy

On 17/06/2012 8:52 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 05/24/2012 10:59 AM, Mr. K wrote:
>> In om.au>,
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I very much suspect the problem is the emergency switch if blinkers
>>> now work
>>> ok. When operated, terminal 49a connects to
>>> terminals L and R on switch and the "+" terminal swaps over from
>>> terminal 15
>>> to 30. See if you can get some contact lubricant / cleaned into the
>>> switch
>>> and operate it a few dozen times.

>> yeah, I'll try that. thanks again.
>> Let's keep those ACVW's alive.
>> or die trying.

> I really like Deoxit for these kinds of things. Have used it on (non-VW)
> terminals that were covered in dried acid, after dunking them in a
> baking soda solution and rinsing. As long as the terminals an wires are
> mechanically OK it does a good job. Packing with silicone grease
> afterwards helps prevent future corrosion, although the Deoxit
> supposedly has some corrosion protection properties itself.
>
> nate

Where can you buy Deoxit?
Old June 23rd 12, 10:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

The Deoxit website certainly sings its praises. Bit dear but if it does the
job......
"LeRoy" > wrote in message
> On 17/06/2012 8:52 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
>> On 05/24/2012 10:59 AM, Mr. K wrote:
>>> In om.au>,

>>> yeah, I'll try that. thanks again.
>>> Let's keep those ACVW's alive.
>>> or die trying.

>> I really like Deoxit for these kinds of things. Have used it on (non-VW)
>> terminals that were covered in dried acid, after dunking them in a
>> baking soda solution and rinsing. As long as the terminals an wires are
>> mechanically OK it does a good job. Packing with silicone grease
>> afterwards helps prevent future corrosion, although the Deoxit
>> supposedly has some corrosion protection properties itself.
>>
>> nate
>>

> Where can you buy Deoxit?

directionals in trouble '71 type 2 VFW VW air cooled 3 February 22nd 10 02:30 PM
Amber directionals Nate Nagel[_2_] Driving 19 January 1st 09 05:12 AM
mirror directionals. crusader VW air cooled 3 February 12th 07 04:19 AM
toyota directionals mawa Technology 1 July 7th 06 05:33 PM
1996 Integra dash clock dead, head unit dead Chewy Honda 1 March 20th 06 02:16 AM