2000 Nissan Frontier 4X4

Old January 2nd 05, 09:53 PM
jasper719

Default 2000 Nissan Frontier 4X4

I recently took my 2000 Nissan Frontier 4X4 with 79,000 mi in for some
minor problem and the Nissan dealership told me I should have had the
timing chain changed at 60,000. Is this normal for this engine (V-6)or are
they just trying to get some work. I haven' had any problems relating to
this - apparantly it's to prevent major damage later if the chain fails.

Old January 3rd 05, 03:43 AM
Malcolm

"jasper719" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> I recently took my 2000 Nissan Frontier 4X4 with 79,000 mi in for some
> minor problem and the Nissan dealership told me I should have had the
> timing chain changed at 60,000. Is this normal for this engine (V-6)or are
> they just trying to get some work. I haven' had any problems relating to
> this - apparantly it's to prevent major damage later if the chain fails.

I had a 2000 model Xterra, and now have a 2002 model, both of which are
based on the same drivetrain (3.3L V-6, correct?).

Both manuals suggest the the timing *belt* (not chain) be replaced at
105,000 miles.

Sounds like your dealership needs some extra money, and work, to start the
New Year off right.

When you do have it done, make su

1) You have another dealer do it.
2) You have the other dealer also replace the water pump at the same time,
since replacing it involves removing the timing belt, anyway.

--
Malcolm

Nissan Frontier Replacement Shocks Soke2001 4x4 2 December 31st 04 01:59 AM
Nissan Patrol aniram 4x4 6 March 4th 04 09:20 PM
Nissan Frontier / Hardbody Albert Badnitz 4x4 0 January 1st 04 07:23 AM