GTR - "feel"

Old June 18th 05, 04:09 AM
Marc Collins

The "feel" in GTR is better than anything else out there. Why is my opinion
so opposite? Hardware. The original MOMO wheels suck with ISI sims. The
new MOMO doesn't. It is just as good with GPL, worse with NR2003 and better
with the ISI stuff and LFS.

The feedback from GTR (if you have the right hardware) is so far ahead of
any other sim out there it still stuns me every time I read this type of
comment.

Oh well...

Marc
..

Old June 18th 05, 04:58 PM
Tony Rickard

"Marc Collins" wrote:

> The "feel" in GTR is better than anything else out there. Why is my

opinion
> so opposite? Hardware. The original MOMO wheels suck with ISI sims. The
> new MOMO doesn't. It is just as good with GPL, worse with NR2003 and

better
> with the ISI stuff and LFS.
>
> The feedback from GTR (if you have the right hardware) is so far ahead of
> any other sim out there it still stuns me every time I read this type of
> comment.
>
> Oh well...
>
> Marc

I am not convinced it is a hardware thing but more of a personal feel thing.
Especially for those bought up on the feel of Papy sims. There are still a
number who feel that GPL nailed a feel that somehow overcomes the
limitations of sim racing compared with real life. NR2003 despite its
obvious improvements in the model was fine for stock cars on ovals but was
somehow a backward step for road racing feel and all the subsequent mods
have that Nascar infection!

I remain unconvinced that pure physics simulation is enough without some
form of motion system, hence a magic feel factor needs to be present to
replace the missing motion.

Also the missing RL feel makes simulating with racing slicks potentially
harder than RL, so another reason some prefer the more forgiving nature of
60s tyres.

Arguably the upcoming mods for GPL will be a match for anything new in the
feel factor states. Of course it will lack all those other features like
dynamic weather, pitstops and component wear, yet for sheer feel it is still
at the top of the tree for many.

Cheers
Tony

Old June 23rd 05, 04:37 PM
Bob

> I remain unconvinced that pure physics simulation is enough without some
> form of motion system, hence a magic feel factor needs to be present to
> replace the missing motion.
>
> Also the missing RL feel makes simulating with racing slicks potentially
> harder than RL, so another reason some prefer the more forgiving nature of
> 60s tyres.

I think Tony has nailed it. GPL, either by accident or by
design, has a feel which somewhat compensates for the limitations of a
computer sim. While GTR is more clinically correct, it has less feel
than the real thing, because some feedback loops are just not there.

BTW, I raced the real thing (Showroom Stock and Formula
Ford) for ten years. And GTR has still bounced GPL off the top of my
list because of the fantastic AI opposition and equal or better variety
of car characteristics.

Old July 7th 05, 01:08 PM
Gruntbugger

I'd say that RBR by far has the best feel and physics or any sim out
htere.