CJ-7 Key wont turn all the way

Old March 22nd 09, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeep America #1[_10_]

Default CJ-7 Key wont turn all the way

well look its another troll to ad to the troll list

is punk fraud kind enough to give you a reach around when your
committing acts of sodomy with each other

Old March 22nd 09, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Glenn news

Ok so by now you have figured out that the key lock switch is not the same
thing as the ignition switch. I would bet that the ignition switch (it
slides horizontally to make the detents and the electrical connections) has
failed and is simply not moving past the first position. The test for this
is to remove the ignition switch from the lower column and then turn the key
lock and make sure it is free. You can also test the ignition switch (off
the jeep is easier) by
moving it with a screwdriver or like tool and see if it is moving like it
should. Be careful that you don't bend or twist the rod that runs inside the
column from the key lock cylinder down to the switch. If the ignition switch
moves like it should, then it is possible that the back (bottom, opposite
end where key goes) side of the key lock cylinder is broken or partly broken
off not letting the rod get full stroke to move the ignition switch all the
way. Hope this helps, if not, just ignore me like the rest of the idiots
that write free advise here.

Old March 23rd 09, 06:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jo Baggs[_3_]

"Glenn news" > wrote in message
> Ok so by now you have figured out that the key lock switch is not the same
> thing as the ignition switch. I would bet that the ignition switch (it
> slides horizontally to make the detents and the electrical connections)
> has
> failed and is simply not moving past the first position. The test for this
> is to remove the ignition switch from the lower column and then turn the
> key
> lock and make sure it is free. You can also test the ignition switch (off
> the jeep is easier) by
> moving it with a screwdriver or like tool and see if it is moving like it
> should. Be careful that you don't bend or twist the rod that runs inside
> the
> column from the key lock cylinder down to the switch. If the ignition
> switch
> moves like it should, then it is possible that the back (bottom, opposite
> end where key goes) side of the key lock cylinder is broken or partly
> broken
> off not letting the rod get full stroke to move the ignition switch all
> the
> way. Hope this helps, if not, just ignore me like the rest of the idiots
> that write free advise here.
> "Jo Baggs" > wrote in message
>> Ok gang,
>> I need help. I went to start my 86 CJ-7 today. They key turned to the
>> first detent (accessories on), but stops at the engine start detent. It
>> almost feels like the rod inside the steering column is jammed up
>> somehow. Anyone have instructions on how to install a new key cylinder
>> and/or get at the rod that turns inside the column?
>>
>> Thanks

Glenn,
thanks. I'll give it a try

Old March 23rd 09, 09:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

"Jo Baggs" > wrote in message

> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> Yes, the ignition switch and rod are accessible down at the bottom. The
>> ignition switch down there is also adjustable so it may just have come
>> loose.
>>
>> Unfortunately your steering is now locked so you can't just jump start
>> it, well you can, but you are only going to go one way, the way the
>> wheels point now...
>>
>> Bill did have a point, your front wheels aren't jammed up against a curb
>> are they? That 'can' lock the keyswitch up... It has happened to me
>> more than once....
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Jo Baggs wrote:
>>> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
>>> . com...

>>> Mike,
>>> is the rod accessible at the bottom of the column?

> Mike,
> the steering is not locked !!! The key will turn enough to unlock the
> wheel. However, it stops turning just before the clockwise accessory
> position. In other words, the steering wheel unlocks, but I cant turn on
> my radio. So even if I jump start it, I doubt the engine will turn over
> as there is no power to the ignition system. Thoughts.

If it's a tilt column, there's a little pot metal rack and slide assembly
inside the column at the tilt joint that sometimes breaks. Also, on my
neighbor's truck I just replaced a lock cylinder in the steering column that
was acting just like yours.
The lock cyl. is the easiest fix, you only have to have a couple of special
tools to get to it.
The rack is a bit more complicated, as you have to pull the pivot pins for
the tilt.

--
Old Crow
'82 FLTC(P) 'Mistress Pearl'

Old March 23rd 09, 10:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain[_4_]

Jo Baggs wrote:
> "Glenn news" > wrote in message
>> Ok so by now you have figured out that the key lock switch is not the same
>> thing as the ignition switch. I would bet that the ignition switch (it
>> slides horizontally to make the detents and the electrical connections)
>> has
>> failed and is simply not moving past the first position. The test for this
>> is to remove the ignition switch from the lower column and then turn the
>> key
>> lock and make sure it is free. You can also test the ignition switch (off
>> the jeep is easier) by
>> moving it with a screwdriver or like tool and see if it is moving like it
>> should. Be careful that you don't bend or twist the rod that runs inside
>> the
>> column from the key lock cylinder down to the switch. If the ignition
>> switch
>> moves like it should, then it is possible that the back (bottom, opposite
>> end where key goes) side of the key lock cylinder is broken or partly
>> broken
>> off not letting the rod get full stroke to move the ignition switch all
>> the
>> way. Hope this helps, if not, just ignore me like the rest of the idiots
>> that write free advise here.
>> "Jo Baggs" > wrote in message
>>> Ok gang,
>>> I need help. I went to start my 86 CJ-7 today. They key turned to the
>>> first detent (accessories on), but stops at the engine start detent. It
>>> almost feels like the rod inside the steering column is jammed up
>>> somehow. Anyone have instructions on how to install a new key cylinder
>>> and/or get at the rod that turns inside the column?
>>>
>>> Thanks

> Glenn,
> thanks. I'll give it a try

That's about all you can do at this point, you need to start taking
things apart to see which end is broke, the bottom or top.

Mike
Old March 23rd 09, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
fraserwag

On Mar 21, 12:59*pm, "Jo Baggs" > wrote:
> Ok gang,
> I need help. *I went to start my 86 CJ-7 today. *They key turned to the
> first detent (accessories on), but stops at the engine start detent. *It
> almost feels like the rod inside the steering column is jammed up somehow..
> Anyone have instructions on how to install a new key cylinder and/or get at
> the rod that turns inside the column?
>
> Thanks

I melt an ignition switch on my Cherokee about every 18 months. Same
symptoms you describe. Its gotten pretty easy to repair. Along the
top of the column is a metal wand that actually moves the switch
positions, opening and closing the contacts in the switch itself,
which is at the bottom of the column. On the left side of the column
is a similar wand, that activitates the high beams.

Step one, disconnect the battery ground.

I take pieces of duct tape, and strap the 2 metal wands down to the
column, so they don't fall out. This allows me to not have to
disassemble or pull the steering wheel. I unplug the switch
connectors at the bottom of the column, and then remove the 2 bolts
that hold the switch in place. One of these is actually threaded at
both ends, with a nut in the middle, as the assemble is in 2 layers.

I then remove the old switch. I make sure the slider on the new
switch is in the same position as the old one, and then install it.
Once I've tightened everything down, I plug in the connectors, and
then remove the tape holding the metal wands. Reconnect the battery,
and test.

Its pretty easy, and this approach allows me to not remove the wheel,
or even drop the column, but the room to operate is a little tight.

No experience with the CJ, but hopefully the setup is somewhat
similar. Hope this helps.

S.
Old March 24th 09, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jo Baggs[_3_]

"fraserwag" > wrote in message
On Mar 21, 12:59 pm, "Jo Baggs" > wrote:
> Ok gang,
> I need help. I went to start my 86 CJ-7 today. They key turned to the
> first detent (accessories on), but stops at the engine start detent. It
> almost feels like the rod inside the steering column is jammed up somehow.
> Anyone have instructions on how to install a new key cylinder and/or get
> at
> the rod that turns inside the column?
>
> Thanks

I melt an ignition switch on my Cherokee about every 18 months. Same
symptoms you describe. Its gotten pretty easy to repair. Along the
top of the column is a metal wand that actually moves the switch
positions, opening and closing the contacts in the switch itself,
which is at the bottom of the column. On the left side of the column
is a similar wand, that activitates the high beams.

Step one, disconnect the battery ground.

I take pieces of duct tape, and strap the 2 metal wands down to the
column, so they don't fall out. This allows me to not have to
disassemble or pull the steering wheel. I unplug the switch
connectors at the bottom of the column, and then remove the 2 bolts
that hold the switch in place. One of these is actually threaded at
both ends, with a nut in the middle, as the assemble is in 2 layers.

I then remove the old switch. I make sure the slider on the new
switch is in the same position as the old one, and then install it.
Once I've tightened everything down, I plug in the connectors, and
then remove the tape holding the metal wands. Reconnect the battery,
and test.

Its pretty easy, and this approach allows me to not remove the wheel,
or even drop the column, but the room to operate is a little tight.

No experience with the CJ, but hopefully the setup is somewhat
similar. Hope this helps.

S.

Thanks Fraserwag. I'll give it a try. Work is a little busy so this project
will, have to wait a few days.

FYI. There is no left side hi-beam rod on a CJ-7. The hi-beams operate off
a floor switch.

Old March 25th 09, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_7_]

"Throntum Mechanic" > wrote

Hey dumbo,

All you have to do is press hard on the foot brake and do the same thing.

**
Well aren't YOU just a little ray of sunshine and sweetness!

sheesh!

K.

Old March 25th 09, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_7_]

I'd be willing to bet a nickle that the lock cylinder has gone fubar.
Prolly one ot the little spring loaded rods inside has blown through the
cast housing. I would pull the lock cylinder and have a look at it.

K.

"Jo Baggs" > wrote in message

"Jo Baggs" > wrote in message

> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> The switch is down at the bottom of the column, maybe it came loose or
>> the rod popped there?
>>
>> Mike
>> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>> 'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and
>> Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com
>>
>> Jo Baggs wrote:
>>> Ok gang,
>>> I need help. I went to start my 86 CJ-7 today. They key turned to the
>>> first detent (accessories on), but stops at the engine start detent. It
>>> almost feels like the rod inside the steering column is jammed up
>>> somehow.
>>> Anyone have instructions on how to install a new key cylinder and/or get
>>> at
>>> the rod that turns inside the column?
>>>
>>> Thanks

> Mike,
> is the rod accessible at the bottom of the column?

Kate, I squirted some PB blaster in the cylinder. They key turns much
easier, but no cigar. It still wont hit the next detent.

Just to clarify, it will hit the accessory detent (counter clockwise) but
something prevents it from hitting the first detent clockwise. It just jams
up and wont turn any more.

I was thinking; instead of tearing the column apart, why don't I throw in a

Old March 25th 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_7_]

"Jo Baggs" > wrote

FYI. There is no left side hi-beam rod on a CJ-7. The hi-beams operate off
a floor switch.

***sigh***
I miss floor switch high beams!

K.