1995 525i good for a new driver?

Old April 4th 05, 03:46 PM
Randy MacKenna

Default 1995 525i good for a new driver?

Hi,
I was wondering what your opinion of a 1995 525i (automatic) sedan
with 97K miles on it would be, for a new driver? Assuming the car
checks out okay, is there anything about it that is a problem spot up
around this mileage range? Any issues I should be aware of?

Also, I always do my own servicing and repairs on cars I own...in the
last 25 years I've never had a car in for repair, anywhere. I never
buy new, so I try to buy reliable used cars. Never owned a BMW before,
but currently have a 1997 Volvo 850GLT wagon, which has been good to me
and is fairly easy to work on. Are these BMW 6-cylinder vehicles
generally as reliable, and are they easy to work on? I like having
OBDC-II connectivity, but for a 1995 model I don't think I'll get that.

Thanks!
-Randy

Old April 4th 05, 03:56 PM
John Burns

> I was wondering what your opinion of a 1995 525i (automatic) sedan
> with 97K miles on it would be, for a new driver? Assuming the car
> checks out okay, is there anything about it that is a problem spot up
> around this mileage range? Any issues I should be aware of?

The water pump is a weak point, but an improved design has replaced it
and isn't dear. By now you may be starting to need new rear subframe
bushings, cheap parts but not easy to fit.

One of the best cars to leave the factory, really well put together. See
www.bmwe34.com (or is it .net?).

I'd get the manual though, not the auto.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old April 4th 05, 04:03 PM
CFL

Randy MacKenna wrote:
> Hi,
> I was wondering what your opinion of a 1995 525i (automatic) sedan
> with 97K miles on it would be, for a new driver? Assuming the car
> checks out okay, is there anything about it that is a problem spot up
> around this mileage range? Any issues I should be aware of?
>
> Also, I always do my own servicing and repairs on cars I own...in the
> last 25 years I've never had a car in for repair, anywhere. I never
> buy new, so I try to buy reliable used cars. Never owned a BMW before,
> but currently have a 1997 Volvo 850GLT wagon, which has been good to me
> and is fairly easy to work on. Are these BMW 6-cylinder vehicles
> generally as reliable, and are they easy to work on? I like having
> OBDC-II connectivity, but for a 1995 model I don't think I'll get that.
>
> Thanks!
> -Randy

The cooling system is a problem area. Make sure the water pump has been
replaced with a non plastic version. The radiators tend to develop a
leak at the tank connection. Check the rear suspension 'dog bones' for
wear, and replace if needed.

Old April 4th 05, 04:50 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Randy MacKenna" > wrote
> I was wondering what your opinion of a 1995 525i (automatic) sedan
> with 97K miles on it would be, for a new driver? Assuming the car
> checks out okay, is there anything about it that is a problem spot up
> around this mileage range? Any issues I should be aware of?

What everyone else said. In addition, the front ball joints (in the
upper and lower control arms) usually are toast by this time. You
basically need to replace the arms, as it's hard for the home guy
to press new balls into the sockets. You might replace the strut
shock cartridge also.

Be sure to have a leak-down and compression test done.
Be sure to have a cooling-system pressure test done - any past
overheating (due to failed water pump) may show up as a bad
head gasket.)
If the outer portion of the front tires appear worn, don't worry
about alignment, as these cars wear front tires that way.

> Also, I always do my own servicing and repairs on cars I own...in the
> last 25 years I've never had a car in for repair, anywhere. I never
> buy new, so I try to buy reliable used cars. Never owned a BMW before,
> but currently have a 1997 Volvo 850GLT wagon, which has been good to me
> and is fairly easy to work on. Are these BMW 6-cylinder vehicles
> generally as reliable, and are they easy to work on? I like having
> OBDC-II connectivity, but for a 1995 model I don't think I'll get that.

The engine (other than water pump, and earlier problems with
ignition coils) is as bullet-proof as can be. Our '91 (doesn't have
the VANOS like the '95) has 147K miles, and looks good to go
at least to 200K, probably more.

Floyd
Old April 4th 05, 05:01 PM
Jeff Strickland

I'm confused.

You ask about a car for a new driver, but you give us your life history on
the cars you drive. For a new driver, I can't think af a better car than a
BMW 3- or 5 series. I think the margin of victory goes to the 3, for no
other reason that it is smaller. If you want to know about your first BMW,
then the car you found sounds like a good one.

Things to check for any driver - new or with 25 years of expereince - is the
radiator. The radiator on these cars is made with plastic tanks, and the
plastic is known to rot and the resulting coolant loss can be catastrophic.

ups.com...

Old April 4th 05, 08:42 PM
Randy MacKenna

Sorry...the car is for my son (18), my life history was mentioned
because I plan on helping him maintain the car (labor, not parts :-).
I agree on the 3 versus 5 statement. The 525i seems like a little "too
much" car for an 18 year old, especially given the likely parts cost
this will need as it crosses into the +100K mileage range. Thanks
everyone for their comments.

Old April 4th 05, 09:09 PM
Jeff Strickland

Got it. I was even guessing as much.

I have the 325i, which uses the same motor as the 525i for the year yours
was built. The motor is very strong, and my car has been the most reliable
car I have ever owned. I had some trouble right after I bought it that
caused the savings I realized on the purchase transaction to evaporate, but
once I got over that issue, the car hasn't given me any particular trouble.
I suppose the broken sunroof might be considered a problem, but the repair
parts cost less than $125, and I was able to affect the repairs myself. I
have put about 105,000 miles on my car in 4 years, and am on track to hit
between 125k and 130k by the end of the 5th year. I have put front brakes on
twice, rear brakes once and front rotors once. The plugs have been replaced
a couple of times, but that is about it.

I think this car would be good for a first car. There are issues relative to
the speed the car can attain, but if the kid is going to test the limits of
the car - and you should assume he or she will - then having one that won't
fold up on itself with your child inside seems like a good plan to me. I
like to think that my kid won't drive my car at 130mph, but I know for damn
certain that she will drive it at 85, so I like the idea that it will 1.)
stop when told to, 2.) steer when asked to, and 3.) not crumple into a ball
when 1 & 2 don't go well.

Back-tracking on my statement of the size, I thought this was an issue, so I
actually looked at some 5 Series cars. They really aren't very much larger
inside than my car. They may have a larger trunk and a couple of extra
inches in the back seat, but they width is pretty much the same. The 5 is a
little larger, but not so much to keep you from buying it for a kid. Indeed,
the 5 wasn't enough bigger to pursuade me to trade my 3 in.

If you are handy with a wrench, the parts that you will need aren't that big
of a deal.

oups.com...

Old April 4th 05, 09:14 PM
Somebody

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> like to think that my kid won't drive my car at 130mph, but I know for

damn
> certain that she will drive it at 85, so I like the idea that it will 1.)
> stop when told to, 2.) steer when asked to, and 3.) not crumple into a

ball
> when 1 & 2 don't go well.

[applause]

Well put.

-Russ.

Old April 4th 05, 09:17 PM
Somebody

"Randy MacKenna" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Sorry...the car is for my son (18), my life history was mentioned
> because I plan on helping him maintain the car (labor, not parts :-).
> I agree on the 3 versus 5 statement. The 525i seems like a little "too
> much" car for an 18 year old, especially given the likely parts cost
> this will need as it crosses into the +100K mileage range. Thanks
> everyone for their comments.

I plan on buying the lowest powered 3 series in whatever age bracket seems
reasonably affordable for my daughter when she reaches driving age. For the
same reasons as Jeff's stop/turn/don't crumple argument. Can't imagine
she'll complain about driving an old BMW to school, I'm sure the boys will
be impressed. The right ones, anyway. :-)

-Russ.

Old April 5th 05, 01:22 AM
Randy MacKenna

We test drove a 1995 318ti. It literally could not get out of its own
way. The dealer was in the back seat. None of us weighed over 190
pounds. Up a slight hill, he said "you really should turn the air
conditioner off".

If they didn't look so darn "Mrs. Doubtfire", a pre-Ford Volvo 850GLT
is a really good deal on the used market right now. Not bad for a
young lady, but I don't want to get one for my son (even though he said
he'd consider it). He's 6'1" and 190...but he'd still get teased in
that car!

-Randy

HAVE YOU HEARD THE GOOD NEWS! [email protected] VW water cooled 1 January 27th 05 12:42 PM
cooling site tim VW air cooled 13 January 27th 05 04:33 AM
1995 BMW 525i - Tire Questions? skippy BMW 0 January 2nd 05 03:14 PM
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly From Shelby Patrick Ford Mustang 14 November 16th 04 01:46 AM
Is there a good way to raise a power window manually? 1995 325is Nick Miller BMW 1 October 13th 04 04:20 PM