No true cure for the windows blues :-(

Old August 11th 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
mC

Default No true cure for the windows blues :-(

I was asking about a "screeching" window problem in a previous post and
today I tore into my door. What I found was that the guide bar used to
guide the window straight up and down was a little worn. With some more
digging the part that runs up and down the guide bar and holds the glass has
two plastic bushings. These bushing are what slide along the guide bar and
make the screeching sound.

In the end there wasn't much I could find that I could do to fix the
problem. What I did was thoroughly clean the bar and bushings then
regreased them with some grease I had from a garage door opener kit. The
grease was that yellow'ish looking stuff that was similar to color and
consistency to what was already in there. Of course the old grease had
blackened up consdierably from age and dirt.

I also put a bit of silicone lube (WD-40 like stuff) on it first and then
lubed it up with the grease. It got rid of 95% of the screech and I must
say my ears don't bleed anymore after closing the window, but I'm sure after
a fair number of runs up and down the screech will be back.

It'll be a real hassle but I wonder if anyone makes new improved bushings.
These seem to be made of a hard plastic. It seems that a softer material
(like teflon) would be better. Of course I don't think Teflon would last
nearly as long as hard plastic. This stinks. The weird thing, is that the
bushing is sqaure while the guide rod is round. Maybe that to minimize the
contact? What would be best would be a true bearing of some sort. But I'm
sure that would be wishful thinking

If anyone has ideas or hunches on the door or bushings would be great.

Thanks!

mC

'93 5.0 LX Hatchback

Old August 11th 08, 12:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John Myers

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...%201&comp=LRSv

:-)

. ..

Old August 11th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

mC wrote:
> I was asking about a "screeching" window problem in a previous post and
> today I tore into my door. What I found was that the guide bar used to
> guide the window straight up and down was a little worn. With some more
> digging the part that runs up and down the guide bar and holds the glass has
> two plastic bushings. These bushing are what slide along the guide bar and
> make the screeching sound.
>
> In the end there wasn't much I could find that I could do to fix the
> problem. What I did was thoroughly clean the bar and bushings then
> regreased them with some grease I had from a garage door opener kit. The
> grease was that yellow'ish looking stuff that was similar to color and
> consistency to what was already in there. Of course the old grease had
> blackened up consdierably from age and dirt.
>
> I also put a bit of silicone lube (WD-40 like stuff) on it first and then
> lubed it up with the grease. It got rid of 95% of the screech and I must
> say my ears don't bleed anymore after closing the window, but I'm sure after
> a fair number of runs up and down the screech will be back.
>
> It'll be a real hassle but I wonder if anyone makes new improved bushings.
> These seem to be made of a hard plastic. It seems that a softer material
> (like teflon) would be better. Of course I don't think Teflon would last
> nearly as long as hard plastic. This stinks. The weird thing, is that the
> bushing is sqaure while the guide rod is round. Maybe that to minimize the
> contact? What would be best would be a true bearing of some sort. But I'm
> sure that would be wishful thinking
>
> If anyone has ideas or hunches on the door or bushings would be great.
>
> Thanks!
>
> mC
>
> '93 5.0 LX Hatchback

50resto.com will have them. Ask if "Ponygirl" still works there.
She used to come into the Car Chats on AOL.

--

"Over here is a chance for a meal,
a young boobie. That's a bird..." - SurvivorMan
Old August 14th 08, 07:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
mC

Thanks for the links! I may be ripping my door apart again pretty soon.

mC

. ..