Anyone remember Gasohol? Is it the same as E-10?

Old May 29th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Anyone remember Gasohol? Is it the same as E-10?

Back in the 1970's when Jimmy Carter was president we had a similar gas
situation to what we have now. The industry came out with "gasohol" which
was a blend of alcohol made from corn, and gasoline. It destroyed fuel pumps
on many an automobile including mine. Is E-10 gas the same thing as gasohol?

I began using E-10 a few months ago in my 1994 Chevy Corsica and I recently
had to have the fuel pump replaced at a cost of over $300.00. The exact same
thing happened in 1979 when I began using gasohol in my 69 Camaro. Back
then, the mechanic told me that if you begin using gasohol after using
regular gas for a long time it would eat the fuel pump, but that if you use
gasohol on a brand new fuel pump it would never be a problem. It looks like
he may have been right.

Any comments/similar experiences?

Old May 29th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

i have heard that the ethanol cleans everything. so the dirty fuel
tank gets cleaned and the dirt gets sent through to the fuel pump,
fuel filter and carborator, causing havoc all the way through. For
many years I used mohawk gas which was bought out by husky, but they
still have 10% ethanol. i have heard also that if you use 10% ethanol
from the start its no problem, its switching to 10% ethanol that
causes the problem. A fuel pump for a 1979 vehicle is $24.00. A fuel
pump for a 1994 will be $300.00. that's sort of a problem. I hope you
bought a new filter also.
http://www.huskyenergy.ca/ourproducts/ethanol/
Old May 29th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul Hovnanian P.E.[_2_]

J wrote:

> Back in the 1970's when Jimmy Carter was president we had a similar gas
> situation to what we have now. The industry came out with "gasohol" which
> was a blend of alcohol made from corn, and gasoline. It destroyed fuel pumps
> on many an automobile including mine. Is E-10 gas the same thing as gasohol?
>
> I began using E-10 a few months ago in my 1994 Chevy Corsica and I recently
> had to have the fuel pump replaced at a cost of over $300.00. The exact same
> thing happened in 1979 when I began using gasohol in my 69 Camaro. Back
> then, the mechanic told me that if you begin using gasohol after using
> regular gas for a long time it would eat the fuel pump, but that if you use
> gasohol on a brand new fuel pump it would never be a problem. It looks like
> he may have been right.
>
> Any comments/similar experiences?

Many vehicles built back in the 70s had problems with ethanol. It
attacked rubber and plastic components and, if it picked up water, that
could cause corrosion problems with certain metal alloys.

E-10 is essentially the same stuff. What has changed between now and
then are the materials used in vehicles. If you have a car of 1960s or
1970s vintage and have not upgraded parts in the fuel system, you may
still have problems.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.
Old May 30th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

J > wrote in article
> Back in the 1970's when Jimmy Carter was president we had a similar gas
> situation to what we have now. The industry came out with "gasohol" which

> was a blend of alcohol made from corn, and gasoline. It destroyed fuel

pumps
> on many an automobile including mine. Is E-10 gas the same thing as

gasohol?

> I began using E-10 a few months ago in my 1994 Chevy Corsica and I

recently
> had to have the fuel pump replaced at a cost of over $300.00. The exact

same
> thing happened in 1979 when I began using gasohol in my 69 Camaro. Back
> then, the mechanic told me that if you begin using gasohol after using
> regular gas for a long time it would eat the fuel pump, but that if you

use
> gasohol on a brand new fuel pump it would never be a problem. It looks

like
> he may have been right.
>
> Any comments/similar experiences?

The earlier "gasohol" used methyl alcohol - or methanol - which is quite
corrosive to aluminum fuel system components. It is also quite poisonous.

We used methanol racing fuel back in the late '60s, and we would shut the
fuel off, and allow the engine to idle until the fuel system ran dry
whenever we shut the engine off.

Ethyl alcohol - or Ethanol - is more like whiskey, and can be consumed
without serious side effects - .unless, of course, you consider drunkeness
to be serious.

Old May 30th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"*" > wrote in message news:01c8c268$efec7ea0
> Ethyl alcohol - or Ethanol - is more like whiskey, and can be consumed
> without serious side effects - .unless, of course, you consider drunkeness
> to be serious.

Been there, done that ;>)

Old May 30th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article <01c8c268$efec7ea0$5295c3d8@race>, * > wrote:

>Ethyl alcohol - or Ethanol - is more like whiskey, and can be consumed
>without serious side effects - .unless, of course, you consider drunkeness
>to be serious.

Precisely. You can think of E85 as being a sort of petroleum martini.
--scott

Remember the Capri? spoken4digby Ford Mustang 1 March 8th 08 10:11 PM
Do any of you remember these? J.F. Auto Photos 6 January 6th 08 03:23 PM
SW: remember this one? rob Auto Photos 7 May 18th 07 04:39 AM
still think this is the USA you remember? Brent P[_1_] Driving 73 August 5th 06 09:34 PM