New initiate to OIL CHANGE CLUB

Old May 18th 08, 07:44 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Built_Well

Default New initiate to OIL CHANGE CLUB

Hi again, gang. I hope everyone has been great.

Well, it's time for another oil change, so I thought I'd check in
again with my Toyota
friends.

Only this time I have a surprise! I did my first-ever oil change the
other day! It was a
real pleasure to do, and I have to thank all the wonderful
participants in this newsgroup
for all the helpful advice and information you all have provided--
folks like
Ray O, Hachiroku, Tegger, Bruce Bergman, etc., etc. I also must not
forget to thank the
author of the beginner's book "Auto Upkeep."

I hope everyone has been great, and stay safe under the chassis.

PS: After working under the chassis with oil spilling down
my arm, I quickly learned the importance of safety goggles
and latex gloves. I bought some at Walmart the very next day :-)
Old May 18th 08, 10:19 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
mack

"Built_Well" > wrote in>
> I hope everyone has been great, and stay safe under the chassis.
>
> PS: After working under the chassis with oil spilling down
> my arm, I quickly learned the importance of safety goggles
> and latex gloves. I bought some at Walmart the very next day :-)

Staying safe under the chassis is the main idea. You'll wish for something
as minor as oil running down your arm if your jackstands or ramps ever
decide to collapse.
I quit changing my own oil (although I've enjoyed the knowledge that the
drain plug is indeed in place and tight when I'm done) simply because the
additional seven or eight bucks spent at the oil change place is worth not
risking being crushed under your vehicle. There's nothing like the feeling
of having your car removed from your cold, dead chest. : - )
If you continue changing your own oil, please never do it without someone
else in your household being present so that they can call 911. Because you
won't be able to.

Old May 18th 08, 11:14 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
HLS

"mack" > wrote in message

> I quit changing my own oil (although I've enjoyed the knowledge that the
> drain plug is indeed in place and tight when I'm done) simply because the
> additional seven or eight bucks spent at the oil change place is worth not
> risking being crushed under your vehicle.

I had the oil changed in our 2007 Avalon at Yokem Toyota in Shreveport for
the 5000 mile interval. I did it myself for the next interval... I found
that Yokem
had not tightened the oil drain plug...Thank goodness it did not vibrate
out.

I was able to remove it with my bare fingers.

That is why the seven or eight bucks means something to me.

Old May 18th 08, 11:17 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Mark A

"Built_Well" > wrote in message
>I have to thank all the wonderful
> participants in this newsgroup
> for all the helpful advice and information you all have provided--
> folks like
> Ray O, Hachiroku, Tegger, Bruce Bergman, etc., etc.

How come you left off my name?

Old May 18th 08, 11:20 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
John S.

On May 18, 2:44*pm, Built_Well > wrote:
> Hi again, gang. *I hope everyone has been great.
>
> Well, it's time for another oil change, so I thought I'd check in
> again with my Toyota
> friends.
>
> Only this time I have a surprise! *I did my first-ever oil change the
> other day! *It was a
> real pleasure to do, and I have to thank all the wonderful
> participants in this newsgroup
> for all the helpful advice and information you all have provided--
> folks like
> Ray O, Hachiroku, Tegger, Bruce Bergman, etc., etc. *I also must not
> forget to thank the
> author of the beginner's book "Auto Upkeep."
>
> I hope everyone has been great, and stay safe under the chassis.
>
> PS: After working under the chassis with oil spilling down
> my arm, I quickly learned the importance of safety goggles
> and latex gloves. *I bought some at Walmart the very next day :-)

I don't know if performing an oil change at home (or at the garage) is
ever something that I would equate with pleasure. It certainly is a
way to save some money. While under the car just be sure to take the
time to look around at all of the other components for emerging
problems.
Old May 18th 08, 11:26 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
JoeSpareBedroom

"HLS" > wrote in message

> "mack" > wrote in message
>
>> I quit changing my own oil (although I've enjoyed the knowledge that the
>> drain plug is indeed in place and tight when I'm done) simply because the
>> additional seven or eight bucks spent at the oil change place is worth
>> not risking being crushed under your vehicle.

> I had the oil changed in our 2007 Avalon at Yokem Toyota in Shreveport for
> the 5000 mile interval. I did it myself for the next interval... I found
> that Yokem
> had not tightened the oil drain plug...Thank goodness it did not vibrate
> out.
>
> I was able to remove it with my bare fingers.
>
> That is why the seven or eight bucks means something to me.

What did the service manager say when you called him about this and ripped
him a new asshole?

Old May 18th 08, 11:33 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
ron[_4_]

IMO John is right - I used to really enjoy knowing that things were okay
under there - saving some money was nice too. I take it to the dealer now
cause I'm just too old and lazy to do it

Ron in Ca

Old May 19th 08, 02:09 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
larry moe 'n curly

mack wrote:

> Staying safe under the chassis is the main idea. You'll wish for something
> as minor as oil running down your arm if your jackstands or ramps ever
> decide to collapse.

That's so true, but why does the car have to be raised at all to
change the oil? I just reach underneath.
Old May 19th 08, 02:23 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Sun, 18 May 2008 11:44:18 -0700, Built_Well wrote:

> Only this time I have a surprise! I did my first-ever oil change the
> other day! It was a real pleasure to do.

SUCKER!!!

I don't know what model you have, but let's start with my Corolls 1200.
The drain plug was in a good spot, and the oil filter was in an excellent
spot! Right near the front of the engine, very easy to grasp, and
upside-down (rightside up?) so that when you spun it off, all the oil
drained right out of it. Of course, it wasn't lined up with the drain
plug, so if you were draining the oil it ran out on the ground. Hey, in
1974, who cared?

I don't remember my 78 or my 80 Corollas, but I sure remember the '85
Hachiroku. Know how you're supposed to change the oil with the engine
warm? I guess that's why they put the filter right under the exhaust
header. At least when you spun it off, the oil would drain into the catch
pan.

The Supra does, too. But it's buried on the side of the block, again below
the exhaust header, but a bit easier to grasp then the Hachiroku. Except
the angle you have to get your arm into is almost breaking it. (Any
consolation, the Mazda is even WORSE!)

Now, the Scion. Brains have taken over. The plug and the filter are almost
right next to each other, and the filter is mounted so when you spin it
off, the oil stays inside of it.

I hope a rock never kicks up under the bumper and takes the filter out...

Old May 19th 08, 02:24 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Sun, 18 May 2008 15:20:23 -0700, John S. wrote:

>> PS: After working under the chassis with oil spilling down my arm, I
>> quickly learned the importance of safety goggles and latex gloves. Â*I
>> bought some at Walmart the very next day :-)

> I don't know if performing an oil change at home (or at the garage) is
> ever something that I would equate with pleasure.

I think *maybe* he was being a bit sarcastic...

> It certainly is a way to save some money.

It costs me as much or more than Jiffy Lube, et al, but I know it's done
correctly!

NEW CLUB! Velocity Corvette Club - Houston, TX [email protected] Corvette 1 August 20th 06 09:26 PM
Transmission fluid: To Change or Not to Change Yank_fan_2965 Technology 10 April 16th 06 07:17 AM
Sig Change SteveH Alfa Romeo 1 May 23rd 05 09:39 PM
Change over Basile1 Technology 4 January 10th 05 11:03 PM
Oil change John Sloan Saturn 11 June 22nd 04 01:51 PM