Volkswagen motor sports head talks with NASCAR

Old November 22nd 09, 12:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
rob

Default Volkswagen motor sports head talks with NASCAR

HOMESTEAD, Florida -- The head of Volkswagen's motor sports program is at
Homestead-Miami Speedway, fueling speculation that the automaker is
interested in joining Toyota as the second foreign manufacturer in NASCAR.

Top NASCAR officials confirmed to The Associated Press that Hans-Joachim
Stuck met with the sanctioning body on Saturday at the track. The officials
requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the meeting.

Volkswagen officials expressed interest in entering a racing series, but
indicated they are more inclined to pick a series that showcases technology,
according to a person who attended the meeting but also requested anonymity.
NASCAR features competition over technology.

A second option for Volkswagen could be the Grand-Am Road Racing Series,
which is owned by NASCAR and uses foreign engine makers.

Earlier this season, NASCAR chairman Brian France said the sanctioning body
is open to accepting new manufacturers into the stock car series. The only
requirement is that manufacturers must have production plants in the U.S.

Volkswagen has a plant under construction in Tennessee, and the facility is
scheduled to build mid-size sedans in 2011. That coincides with NASCAR's
tentative plans to replace carburetors on Cup Series cars with fuel
injection.

NASCAR held a Nov. 3 meeting with representatives from all four current
manufacturers, as well as engine builders from five race teams and two
independent suppliers to discuss the potential move to fuel injection.

A move to that system apparently interests Volkswagen, whose $1 billion
plant in Chattanooga would qualify the German manufacturer to compete in
NASCAR.

France opened the door for more foreign participation in June when he
admitted the sanctioning body has had continued discussions with interested
automakers.

BMW, Honda, Hyundai, Nissan and Mercedes-Benz all have manufacturing plants
inside the U.S. -- the same criteria Toyota met when NASCAR accepted it into
NASCAR in 2002.

"We have companies that are interested in particular in developing the North
American market as robustly as they can," France said. "And we're all aware
that there are lots of foreign manufacturers producing cars here in America.
That was part of the rationale that Toyota used.

"We're the pre-eminent place in North America for car manufacturers to build
their business with an auto racing group. We remain that and clearly there's
some companies that are going to look at opportunities that may not have
even been there in the past that could be presented in the future."

Allowing more foreign automakers into the series could rankle hard-core U.S.
fans, who objected to Toyota and think NASCAR should include only American
manufacturers. But the decline of the automotive industry has wreaked havoc
on racing budgets, and most NASCAR teams either received cutbacks in funding
this season or were cut off entirely.

Even deep-pocketed Toyota has had to reduce its spending, and the Japanese
automaker is currently not taking on any new factory-supported teams.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	france.193.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	198938
Old November 22nd 09, 10:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
John Bradley

Having some acquaintance with Herr Stuck, I would say that Stucky is in
Homestead for the weather. Much as I long for the days of what we called
'Rabbit Bashing' in the early days of CART and Formula Super Vee, the
Porsche family has no interest in nascar.
Any news to cover Toyota's and FIAT's impending departure is good news for
the mouth-breathers running (or is that spelt 'ruining'?) nascar.
johannes

g.com...

Old November 26th 09, 04:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Skip[_3_] Skip[_3_] is offline
Banned

Have you heard anything definitive about Fysler leaving NASCAR? I'd heard
rumblings that Toyota was, but they're pulling in their horns pretty much
all over.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
rlakestechnologygroup...

Old November 26th 09, 12:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
rob

not me. mostly talk of Richard petty motor sports teaming up with Yates,
converting to fords, and running rousch engines.....that's supposedly a done
deal.

news

Old November 26th 09, 04:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
John Bradley

Every time I see Stucky on tv now, he looks more and more like his father.
When he did Goodwood in his father's car it was uncanny.
Anyhow.
As to your question - It's '...just business' and only makes sense:
FIAT is Ferrari is F1 is an halo effect globally. Nascar? Not so much. See
the Toyota item below for how FIAT - an entirely different corporate entity
than that which contracted with nascar as crysler - can walk away at minimal
cost.

Toyota simply walked away from the F1 Concorde Agreement knowing that wee
bernie would stalk them for bbbbillions of Real Euros in penalties - as if
they had not lost enough cash in F1 already. Since nascar is just
billboarded kit car entertainment, Toyoda would not sacrifice any technical
halo or IP investment loses by across-the-board pulling 'sponsorships'.
Right now the Big T is bleeding profusely after having beaten itself into
submission.
1. Giant pick-ups?
2. Nascar?
3. Using the 'china price' a bit too much?
4. What quality?
Time is of the essence.

As to the original VW to nascar item: It may be that some of the financial
acrobatics in the whole last five years' VW-Porsche 'deal' could be reviewed
by the EC. However, the current situation may be so financially precarious
that no one wants to be that Last Straw.
This is not going to end well imvho.

news