One Sure End To Texting While Driving

Old October 2nd 09, 09:04 PM posted to alt.politics.obama,alt.politics.democrats,misc.transport.trucking,alt.culture.alaska,rec.autos.driving
Major Debacle[_5_]

Default One Sure End To Texting While Driving

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-
dyn/content/article/2009/10/01/AR2009100104872.html

To boss: "u will hv story in 5 mins"

To husband: "u pickd up m yet? u r l8 4 class!"

Phone rings: "Hello? Hi, Mom. Yes, yes, we're fine. The boys are
fine. No, the weather is good. If you saw it on the Weather
Channel, why are you calling me to ask? Yes, I'll make sure the
boys wear jackets. Gotta go, Mom, I'll call you back."

To boss: "ok gimme 10 mins"

>From husband: "whats 4 dinner 2nite?"

Okay, not responding to that one.

So here it is -- my multitasking confessional. Driving, talking,
texting. Oh, and I forgot to include reaching back to break up a
fight or fish for a lost Lego piece.

According to Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, I am a "menace
to society." And I know I'm not alone.

Come on, sisters: Join me in admitting that moms are especially
distracted drivers. I know, because some of you out there have
yakked on the phone with me while we're both stuck in traffic.

According to LaHood, some statistics show that nearly 6,000
people were killed and more than half a million were injured on
America's roads last year in crashes linked to texting or
talking behind the wheel. It's the cause of about 20 percent of
the nation's accidents.

Yes, that is chilling enough to stop me cold amid the tappity-
tap.

The crusade against distracted driving was the topic of a summit
this week by the U.S. Department of Transportation. It pretty
much overshadowed this week's revelation that working moms are
the nation's biggest cellphone users by a long shot, according
to Scarborough Research.

We chew up cellphone charges 21 percent faster than any of
y'all, including gabby teens and self-important guys in suits.

There's a good reason for that, as Lashawn Cooke can explain.
The 41-year-old paralegal says she relies on her mobile phone to
resolve all manner of disputes among her five children at home
in Silver Spring while she's working in D.C.

"I'm always in touch with them. And they all call me to tell on
what the others are doing. It's like I see everything," Cooke
said.

Multitasking behind the wheel is a natural extension of the busy
lives we lead today.

Parents often find themselves as nothing more than unpaid
cabbies, shuttling their kids to and fro. And we know how much
cabbies love their cellphones.

Although women have made great strides in the workplace, most of
us still have a second shift of household responsibilities that
has changed little in the past century. (And I know you're out
there, you fabulous husbands who do housework. Please don't
write me an e-mail about yourselves. Instead, take my husband
out for coffee and teach him your ways.)

So we do two jobs and that little BlackBerry or iPhone is the
magic fairy in our pockets, the answer to the age-old wish: "If
only I could be in two places at once."

We sneak out of the office to see the recital.

Boss wants an answer on that report? No problem. Tap-tap-tap and
you've returned his e-mail in a flash. And on the way back to
work, we are field marshals, using our PDAs to dispatch
instructions to our brood, text grocery orders, pay bills and
register for gymnastics, all with our nimble thumbs.

Statistically, despite the digital acrobatics, parents are not
the prime perps when it comes to the distracted-driving
accidents.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said this
week that drivers younger than 20 are most likely to have such
accidents. So this week's conference focused on how to curb a
trend that many liken to drunken driving.

The District and seven states have banned talking on a cellphone
without a hands-free device while driving. Congress is
considering a nationwide ban on texting behind the wheel, which
is already illegal in the District, Maryland, Virginia and 16
other states.

In D.C. last year, 12,000 cellphone-gabbing drivers got tickets
and 140 were cited for other distracting habits. "You'd be
surprised: Some people still have the phone up against their ear
when the officer walks up to their vehicle," said police
spokesman Kenny Bryson.

I swear I wasn't one of them. That multitasking scenario that I
copped to is semi-legal. I'm religious about talking on a
Bluetooth, but even though I text only when the car is stopped,
it's still a no-no, according to D.C. police.

And it's not just technology distracting us.

Moms are constantly reaching back to soothe a crying baby or
reinsert a pacifier. Women are putting on mascara (guilty), men
are shaving (my husband tried it once, and it wasn't pretty) and
everyone is fiddling with the tunes or the flap on that cheap
coffee lid that goes up your nose.

But after hearing all the grim numbers from the Department of
Transportation, I know I've got to do better when I'm behind the
wheel.

If the inspiration isn't in the rearview mirror, where I can
glance my boys' little faces, it's in the picture of another
boy, Joe Teater.

Joe's dad, David, spoke about the dangers of distracted driving
at the summit this week. Joe was 12 when a driver distracted by
his cellphone ran a red light on a Michigan street and killed
the boy. That story is enough for me. I have no desire to be
David Teater.

And it should be enough for everyone else who thinks their
business simply can't wait.

To the boss: "u will hv column in 30 mins, when i get back 2 the
office."

Old October 2nd 09, 10:46 PM posted to alt.politics.democrats,misc.transport.trucking,alt.culture.alaska,rec.autos.driving
[email protected][_1_]

On Oct 2, 4:04*pm, "Major Debacle" > wrote:
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-
> dyn/content/article/2009/10/01/AR2009100104872.html
>
> To boss: "u will hv story in 5 mins"
>
> To husband: "u pickd up m yet? u r l8 4 class!"
>
> Phone rings: "Hello? Hi, Mom. Yes, yes, we're fine. The boys are
> fine. No, the weather is good. If you saw it on the Weather
> Channel, why are you calling me to ask? Yes, I'll make sure the
> boys wear jackets. Gotta go, Mom, I'll call you back."
>
> To boss: "ok gimme 10 mins"
>
> >From husband: "whats 4 dinner 2nite?"

> Okay, not responding to that one.
>
> So here it is -- my multitasking confessional. Driving, talking,
> texting. Oh, and I forgot to include reaching back to break up a
> fight or fish for a lost Lego piece.
>
> According to Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, I am a "menace
> to society." And I know I'm not alone.

Well, since Washington DOT imbeciles are why the people who
know how transportation works, work on Electronic Books, Rerverse
Compilers, mp3, mpeg, pgp,
CD+rw, DVD-rom, On-Line Publishing, Drones, Cruise Missiles,
Phalanx, UAVs, AAVs, GPS,
Digital Terrain Mapping, Data Fusion, Weather Satellites, Atomic
Clock Wristeatchs, Cyber Batteries,
Self-Replicating Machines, On-Line Publishing, and Self-Assembling
Robots, and the 21st Century,
rather than Washington Btooklyn Bridge STOOGES, It's somewhat
irrelevant.
Since the only thing Washington Transportation idiots even know
about transportation
is the moron Dulles Airport and The Mormom Temple.

Old October 3rd 09, 04:53 AM posted to alt.politics.obama,alt.politics.democrats,misc.transport.trucking,alt.culture.alaska,rec.autos.driving
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

"Major Debacle" > wrote in
. theremailer.net:

> If the inspiration isn't in the rearview mirror, where I can
> glance my boys' little faces, it's in the picture of another
> boy, Joe Teater.
>
> Joe's dad, David, spoke about the dangers of distracted driving
> at the summit this week. Joe was 12 when a driver distracted by
> his cellphone ran a red light on a Michigan street and killed
> the boy. That story is enough for me. I have no desire to be
> David Teater.

And what was done to the driver?. I bet he said "hey dood - sorry about
your kid but ya know, it was an accident". And the law let him go when he
should have been locked up for life.
Old October 3rd 09, 09:22 PM posted to alt.politics.democrats,misc.transport.trucking,alt.culture.alaska,rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Oct 2, 2:46*pm, " >
wrote:
> [...]

> > everyone is fiddling with the tunes or the flap on that cheap
> > coffee lid that goes up your nose.

> > But after hearing all the grim numbers from the Department of
> > Transportation, I know I've got to do better when I'm behind the
> > wheel.

> > If the inspiration isn't in the rearview mirror, where I can
> > glance my boys' little faces, it's in the picture of another
> > boy, Joe Teater.

> > Joe's dad, David, spoke about the dangers of distracted driving
> > at the summit this week. Joe was 12 when a driver distracted by
> > his cellphone ran a red light on a Michigan street and killed
> > the boy. That story is enough for me. I have no desire to be
> > David Teater.

> > And it should be enough for everyone else who thinks their
> > business simply can't wait.

> > To the boss: "u will hv column in 30 mins, when i get back 2 the

The amazing thing is that the morons who continue doing it ignore the
fact that business and soccer moms got along just fine before there
were cell phones.

Harry K
Old October 3rd 09, 09:26 PM posted to alt.politics.democrats,misc.transport.trucking,alt.culture.alaska,rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

harry k wrote:
> [...]

>>> wheel.
>>> If the inspiration isn't in the rearview mirror, where I can
>>> glance my boys' little faces, it's in the picture of another
>>> boy, Joe Teater.
>>> Joe's dad, David, spoke about the dangers of distracted driving
>>> at the summit this week. Joe was 12 when a driver distracted by
>>> his cellphone ran a red light on a Michigan street and killed
>>> the boy. That story is enough for me. I have no desire to be
>>> David Teater.
>>> And it should be enough for everyone else who thinks their
>>> business simply can't wait.
>>> To the boss: "u will hv column in 30 mins, when i get back 2 the
>>> office."- Hide quoted text -

> The amazing thing is that the morons who continue doing it ignore the
> fact that business and soccer moms got along just fine before there

Business was much more difficult before cell phones. Fortunately pagers
were commonplace by the time I entered the workforce, must have been
real difficult before pagers were introduced. Quick communications
between office and field not to mention field and later calls is a real
time saver. That said I can't imagine texting while driving, and I
consider myself a fairly accomplished multitasker. It just seems like a
fundamentally bad idea. (and I *will* talk on the phone while driving
all the time, because of the nature of my job - but always on a headset.
Bluetooth is also a quite wonderful invention.)

As for soccer moms... I really don't care, because most of them
shouldn't be driving in the first place.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old October 4th 09, 01:31 AM posted to alt.politics.democrats,misc.transport.trucking,alt.culture.alaska,rec.autos.driving
ChrisCoaster

On Oct 3, 4:26*pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:

> As for soccer moms... *I really don't care, because most of them
> shouldn't be driving in the first place.
>
> nate

_____
AMEN 2 that! Women in large SUVs give me more trouble on the road
than male drivers in anything from a SUV to a Smart-4-Two.
2/3 of them don't signal changes in direction, at least 1/2 of them
are on the phone when I see them, most of them drive too fast and are
usually the ones tailgating me, and they all get angry at me for
horning them when they're about to do something that could endanger
themselves, their tiny passengers, and ME!

-CC
Old October 4th 09, 03:44 AM posted to alt.politics.democrats,misc.transport.trucking,alt.culture.alaska,rec.autos.driving
used2be

ChrisCoaster wrote:
> On Oct 3, 4:26 pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>

>> As for soccer moms... I really don't care, because most of them
>> shouldn't be driving in the first place.
>>
>> nate
>>

> _____
> AMEN 2 that! Women in large SUVs give me more trouble on the road
> than male drivers in anything from a SUV to a Smart-4-Two.
> 2/3 of them don't signal changes in direction, at least 1/2 of them
> are on the phone when I see them, most of them drive too fast and are
> usually the ones tailgating me, and they all get angry at me for
> horning them when they're about to do something that could endanger
> themselves, their tiny passengers, and ME!

i'm a mini van mom, and i get aggravated with alot of female drivers myself!
especially the ones who STAY in the left lane and refuse to move over. and
their speed will vary up to 10 mph! so you end up passing them and getting
passed BY them over and over...in the RIGHT lane. and if you get behind
them in the left lane and get on their tail, they are oblivious. it's
nearly always women! ARGH!!!