HELP! 88 Suzuki Samurai Won't pass emissions test BIG TIME!

Old March 26th 04, 11:47 PM
xyzzy

Default HELP! 88 Suzuki Samurai Won't pass emissions test BIG TIME!

I just failed my emissions test (Big Time)
CO2 levels at .99 except during decelerations.
I have seen info suggesting that I am running too Rich on fuel mixture, but
after a day online searching Google, Yahoo and everywhere else, another day
rereading the Haynes Suzuki manual (Which tells me it is too rich but not
how to correct it), and the last Hour at the library, I am still at a
complete loss.

I have posted photos at a website if you would take the time to look and
comment
www.castlerockinfo.com/zuki/index.htm

Please note the following from the photos,
Butterfly (Choke) is not open all the way as the Haynes manual suggests.
A part in the front left of the carb, ( A plunger with a rubber boot)
The boot is in bad shape and there appeared to be leakage around it
New muffler/exhaust shows Black Sooty deposits (haynes again says too Rich)
Where are the adjustments for Idle speed and Air/Fuel Mix??
The books often refer to test equipment that would be more expensive to buy
or rent, than replacing parts. So if you suggest replacing a few $5 - $10
parts to narrow this down that is much prefered to buying equipment or
paying the local "Import" guy.
Particularly since the local Import guy usually tries things that don't
workanyway.
(2 years ago emmisions test he spent 3 days and almost $200 then told me to
run it fast on the freeway and add 2 bottles of HEET before the test, I
passed barely.
You get the picture
Zuki is an 88 with 93000 miles only 4000 per year for the last 5 years
New Muffler (1 year)
O2 sensor (2years)

Please check out the photos and let me know
BTW Thanks for the links you gave the other guy I needed them too.

--
My toys!
Where are my toys?

Old March 27th 04, 06:56 PM
PR

look under in the front of your carb......U will see 2 bolt heads
.....inside your carb behind those R yer' jets.....OK heres the tricky
take the bolts out......insert the lil' red tube of your favorite Carb
Cleaner......wiggle it around until U feel it go into the jet......now
spray until it comes out the top of the carb...repeat on the other
jet......put it back together...almost as good as a rebuild

The Dirt Weasel
"JEEP..........It's whats fer' Dinner"

Old March 27th 04, 07:26 PM
xyzzy

THX I work weird Hours so I won't be able to try it till Monday,
I've seen your answers before, so I trust your answer, but this does sound a
little "oversimple" would that account for all the grief of failing the test
by that much?

Old March 27th 04, 07:26 PM
xyzzy

Old March 27th 04, 08:01 PM
PR

New Plugs (side gap them not top gaped like normal....this exposes the
"Flame Kernel" to the chamber ie. better burn) 1/4 tank of fuel + a
coupla' bottles of HEET ,Clean the inside of the Dist. cap.put the vac
line back on the carb (if U did the "Power Mod." ) new plug wires if ya'
got'em.........Good luck : )

The Dirt Weasel
"JEEP..........It's whats fer' Dinner"

Old April 1st 04, 05:48 PM
xyzzy

In addition to your above suggestions
New O2 sensor
new PCV Valve
New Air Filter
Still Blows CO to the Max and Milage is down to about 12-13mpg from 21
Seems to run ok otherwise, Starts right up ( no power but never had any to
start with)
All the books and stuff say I'm running too lean, and if it was just a
little bit i would guess to many years of abuse, but this is big time
overboard, i am guessing something is definitely broke, bent or plugged up.
Is there any part, that when bad, would cause this major upset in fuel mix?
xyzzy

Old April 1st 04, 05:48 PM
xyzzy