Maxi-Frig for R12/R134A ?

Old May 20th 05, 01:08 AM
Henry Kolesnik

Default Maxi-Frig for R12/R134A ?

Has anyone used Maxi-Frig? It sounds too good to be true?
http://www.maxifrig.com/moreinfo.html

tnx
Hank

Old May 20th 05, 01:14 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Yet another brand name for the same old illegal, dangerous
hydrocarbon (isopropane/isobutane) blend.

Does it work? Yeah, it works.

Is it safe? The sellers say yes, but can't seem to provide enough
supporting data, despite 15 years of trying, to pass the refrigerant
safety tests ALL refrigerants are required to pass before they're legally
approved. The sellers claim it's due to politics and Big Refrigerant Inc's
desire to own the market. You decide.

Is it smart to use? No. Virtually no A/C service shop will *touch* a
system that has had a hydrocarbon refrigerant installed. Working on it
would contaminate their equipment and their stocks of reclaimed and
recycled refrigerant. Those few shops willing to work on such tainted
systems charge a great deal of money to get rid of the illegal
refrigerant, flush the system and install legal refrigerant.

Old May 20th 05, 01:17 AM

Ask at www.aircondition.com, but since no information is given about
what the product is, I have great doubts. It may be like OZ-12, which
was nothing but a blend of propane and butane, something you definitely
don't want in a car.

Old May 20th 05, 02:02 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 19 May 2005 wrote:

> Ask at
www.aircondition.com, but since no information is given about
> what the product is, I have great doubts. It may be like OZ-12

Is. The "MX-12a" nomenclature gives it away.
Old May 20th 05, 03:38 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 19 May 2005 wrote:

> Ask at
www.aircondition.com, but since no information is given about
> what the product is, I have great doubts. It may be like OZ-12, which
> was nothing but a blend of propane and butane, something you definitely
> don't want in a car.

The Maxi-Frig designation MX-12a is a dead giveaway. HC-12a, ES-12a
"EnviroSafe", etc. -- they're all the same illegal hydrocarbon blend.
Old May 20th 05, 06:49 AM
Edward Strauss

Daniel J. Stern > wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2005 wrote:

> > Ask at
www.aircondition.com, but since no information is given about
> > what the product is, I have great doubts. It may be like OZ-12, which
> > was nothing but a blend of propane and butane, something you definitely
> > don't want in a car.

> The Maxi-Frig designation MX-12a is a dead giveaway. HC-12a, ES-12a
> "EnviroSafe", etc. -- they're all the same illegal hydrocarbon blend.

What country are they illegal in??? Yeah, I thought so... Read up
on the stuff and see what you think. It is no more dangerous than
that large tank with gasoline that rides behind you when you are driving
your vehicle. That is my opinion...
Old May 20th 05, 02:15 PM
aarcuda69062

In article > ,
"Henry Kolesnik" > wrote:

> Has anyone used Maxi-Frig? It sounds too good to be true?
> http://www.maxifrig.com/moreinfo.html
>
> tnx
> Hank

Here we go again...
Old May 20th 05, 03:34 PM
Steve

> What country are they illegal in??? Yeah, I thought so... Read up
> on the stuff and see what you think. It is no more dangerous than
> that large tank with gasoline that rides behind you when you are driving
> your vehicle. That is my opinion...

The "large tank with gasoline that resides behind you" is subjected to
crashworthiness testing when the car was manufactured. Its in a
protected location, with various protections to prevent it from
spilling, rupturing, or bursting into flame. The AC condensor that is
the FIRST thing to break in a head-on collision is NOT crashworthiness
tested when filled with butane/propane blend. The blower motor inside
the car with the evaporator coil is not spark-arrested for use in an
environment where butane/propane might leak out.

Do I think cars with propane/butane refrignerant are rolling time-bombs?
Not really. But its foolish to pretend that they don't have a higher
risk of fire or explosion. The question I'd ask myself, is "why take ANY
risk when there are so many safe, non-flammable alternatives?"

Old May 20th 05, 03:38 PM
Steve W.

The US for one. ANY flammable blend is illegal.

The EPA has made it illegal to use flammable refrigerants in motor
vehicle air conditioning systems. Each potential new refrigerant must be
tested according to the American Society of Testing Materials (ASTM)
E-681 testing method to determine flammability. In addition to testing
the refrigerant itself, if a blend contains a flammable component, the
EPA requires leak testing to ensure that the composition does not change
during a leak and become flammable.

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/refrigerants/hc-12a.html

OZ-12 - unacceptable - 3/18/94 OZ Technology Flammable blend of
hydrocarbons; insufficient data to demonstrate safety.
R-176 - unacceptable - 3/18/94 Arctic Chill Contains CFC-12, which is
inappropriate in a CFC-12 substitute.
HC-12a - unacceptable - 6/13/95 OZ Technology Flammable blend of
hydrocarbons; insufficient data to demonstrate safety.
R-405A - unacceptable - 6/13/95 Greencool Contains a perfluorocarbon,
which has extremely high global warming potential and lifetime.

There has also not been any single refrigerant or blend that is a direct
drop-in for R-12 in automotive air conditioning systems.

--
Steve Williams

Old May 20th 05, 05:55 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 20 May 2005, Edward Strauss wrote:

> > The Maxi-Frig designation MX-12a is a dead giveaway. HC-12a, ES-12a
> > "EnviroSafe", etc. -- they're all the same illegal hydrocarbon blend.

> What country are they illegal in?

The US.

> It is no more dangerous than
> that large tank with gasoline that rides behind you when you are driving
> your vehicle.

The fuel system is specifically designed to store and transport flammable
fluid. The A/C system is not.