Brakes, Baer, Brembo, or???

Old January 2nd 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Nicholas Anthony

Default Brakes, Baer, Brembo, or???

Who would you say is the best aftermarket brake manufacturer? Baer, Brembo,
or any other you can mention? I guess for price, performance, and weight
would be of concern. Me personally I plan on upgrading my fox brakes but
would like to know overall which one is best in case I decide to upgrade a
later model as well. Thanks.

Old January 2nd 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Nicholas Anthony wrote:
> Who would you say is the best aftermarket brake manufacturer? Baer, Brembo,
> or any other you can mention? I guess for price, performance, and weight
> would be of concern. Me personally I plan on upgrading my fox brakes but
> would like to know overall which one is best in case I decide to upgrade a
> later model as well. Thanks.

I've had the 2000 cobra R front brembo brakes on my car for 90K miles
now. They have worked very well. I replaced the rotors about a year ago
as they were close to the end of life. Other than that just pad
replacements. Of course these are made for SN95s,
but can be adapted to fox cars that have the SN95 front 'spindles'.

Old January 6th 07, 08:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ironrod

This is my second try at trying to post a response, so if it appears twice
I'm sorry. On my 88GT 'vert I used a combination of the SSBC rear disk
brake upgrade kit & replaced my 65mm front calipers with 73mm ones from a
Lincoln LSC this is a relatively low buck upgrade yielding very substantial
results. (The reason for the larger front calipers was to compensate for
the increased pedal effort caused by the new rear disks.) The car is much
improved in how solid the brakes feel & I'm pretty sure this little upgrade
has kept me out of at least one accident since they were installed.

Old January 6th 07, 10:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
BradandBrooks

Do you just buy the Lincoln calipers and the snap right in?

Thanks.

Brad

Old January 6th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Nicholas Anthony

At the moment I have the 73mm upgrade you are talking about with cross
drilled slotted rotors, stainless steel brake lines, and the steel caliper
inserts. It was an inexpensive kit sold about 4 or 5 years ago. These alone
were an incredible change for the better. Now I am doing allot of engine
work and want to be able to stop with all the new power I will have.

Nick

Old January 6th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

Nicholas Anthony wrote:

> At the moment I have the 73mm upgrade you are talking about with cross
> drilled slotted rotors, stainless steel brake lines, and the steel caliper
> inserts. It was an inexpensive kit sold about 4 or 5 years ago. These alone
> were an incredible change for the better. Now I am doing allot of engine
> work and want to be able to stop with all the new power I will have.
>
> Nick
>

> "Ironrod" > wrote in message
>
>>This is my second try at trying to post a response, so if it appears twice
>>I'm sorry. On my 88GT 'vert I used a combination of the SSBC rear disk
>>brake upgrade kit & replaced my 65mm front calipers with 73mm ones from a
>>Lincoln LSC this is a relatively low buck upgrade yielding very
>>substantial
>>results. (The reason for the larger front calipers was to compensate for
>>the increased pedal effort caused by the new rear disks.) The car is much
>>improved in how solid the brakes feel & I'm pretty sure this little
>>upgrade
>>has kept me out of at least one accident since they were installed.
>>

>>"Nicholas Anthony" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Who would you say is the best aftermarket brake manufacturer? Baer,

>>Brembo,
>>
>>>or any other you can mention? I guess for price, performance, and weight
>>>would be of concern. Me personally I plan on upgrading my fox brakes but
>>>would like to know overall which one is best in case I decide to upgrade
>>>later model as well. Thanks.

I use the 73mm calipers on my Cobra kit. On the
track I use Hawk HP+ pads, and on the street I use Hawk
HPS. The front brakes are excellent.
The 73mm caliper is a simple swap from stock.
Unbolt one, and bolt on the other. I got mine from
www.discbrakesrus.com .

Proper brake pad selection is the key to good
brakes. Forget about the premium ceramic pads; they
don't work any better than stock. Get a good
performance pad from Hawk, Porterfield, or Performance
Friction. Try www.porterfield-brakes.com .

--
..boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Old January 11th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ironrod

Yes. I've also read that the Crown Vic's will work as well. I should note
that in my case the SSBC rear disk upgrade came with a new master cylinder
that turned out to be the same part as used on a Lincoln, so the calipers
were already matched to the rest of the system.