Fiberglass W decklid

Old August 10th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

Default Fiberglass W decklid

Hi,

I have a W fiberglass decklid and it seems that mounting of this thing
is no where near the quality of original. Anyway here are three
questions:

1) hindges are riveted, and don't seem to be adequate as they eventualy
get loose and deck lid starts to rub. Is there a better way to secure
those?

2) lock/t handle. mine does not have a round with 2 flat side opening
for the t handle, do I just drill a hole and file it to the right
shape? or is there some other mod that I would need to do in order to
secure t-handle?

3) on original deck there are little nibs at the top that hold the
spring, mine missing those, what are the alternatives for proping this
sucker up to getting hit in head with the decklid?

Thanks!
Anton

Old August 10th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

anton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a W fiberglass decklid and it seems that mounting of this thing
> is no where near the quality of original. Anyway here are three
> questions:
>
> 1) hindges are riveted, and don't seem to be adequate as they eventualy
> get loose and deck lid starts to rub. Is there a better way to secure
> those?
>
> 2) lock/t handle. mine does not have a round with 2 flat side opening
> for the t handle, do I just drill a hole and file it to the right
> shape? or is there some other mod that I would need to do in order to
> secure t-handle?
>
> 3) on original deck there are little nibs at the top that hold the
> spring, mine missing those, what are the alternatives for proping this
> sucker up to getting hit in head with the decklid?
>
> Thanks!
> Anton

Where did you get the deck lid from ?
I have worked with a few from Creative Car Craft and they seemed to
be great quality.

Not sure who sells them but you can buy a deck lid prop, or make one
like I did that is a bent rod in a V shape that slips in the ends of
the hinge holder ends.
I Just put a peice of fuel line over a 2.5 m by 6mm rod and bent to a
V shape to hold up deck lids when I'm doing engine repairs.

Mario
Vintage Werks resto

Old August 10th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

Deck came with the car, not sure about the origin, there are no
identifying markings of any kind on it. Does Creative Car Craft make
them with all nessary openings and threads for fastening hinges and
handle?

V rod is neat seen quite a few on the cars at the shows, that should
work.
Thanks!
Anton