has the recession started fire sales of old cars?

Old October 22nd 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

Default has the recession started fire sales of old cars?

I'm just randomly searching around and I'm seeing prices for cars that
are way low for what I've seen in recent years... I'm still seeing some
insane prices for junk but I'm seeing some cars at prices around half or
less than what I've seen in recent years. I'm thinking its just some
scam postings or something, anyone been tracking 60s muscle/pony car
prices lately?

Old October 22nd 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
wtrplnet

"Brent P" > wrote in message
. ..

> I'm just randomly searching around and I'm seeing prices for cars that
> are way low for what I've seen in recent years... I'm still seeing some
> insane prices for junk but I'm seeing some cars at prices around half or
> less than what I've seen in recent years. I'm thinking its just some
> scam postings or something, anyone been tracking 60s muscle/pony car
> prices lately?

Barrett Jackson Las Vegas auction was last week. Nice Mustangs, Baracudas,
Camaros, Challengers and Chevelles seemed to average about $100,000. Is that
what you had in mind? I didn't notice any drop-off since the Scottsdale
auction last winter.

If you're looking for something cheap to buy try any Chrysler dealer and
look at their SUV's. They probably get better mileage than 60's pony cars
and have a warranty (if Chrysler is still around to stand behind it).

Alan

Old October 22nd 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

On 2008-10-22, wtrplnet > wrote:

> "Brent P" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> I'm just randomly searching around and I'm seeing prices for cars that
>> are way low for what I've seen in recent years... I'm still seeing some
>> insane prices for junk but I'm seeing some cars at prices around half or
>> less than what I've seen in recent years. I'm thinking its just some
>> scam postings or something, anyone been tracking 60s muscle/pony car
>> prices lately?

> Barrett Jackson Las Vegas auction was last week. Nice Mustangs, Baracudas,
> Camaros, Challengers and Chevelles seemed to average about $100,000. Is that
> what you had in mind? I didn't notice any drop-off since the Scottsdale
> auction last winter.

I've just seen a few cars priced way low locally. Mustangs,
pontiacs, oldsmobiles, etc. Chicago tends to have a premium tacked on
to anything that doesn't have *visible* rust. Most
owners think that if rust can't be seen without crawling underneath
and seeing the frame rail is almost eaten away they still get to charge
top dollar for it.

> If you're looking for something cheap to buy try any Chrysler dealer and
> look at their SUV's. They probably get better mileage than 60's pony cars
> and have a warranty (if Chrysler is still around to stand behind it).

BLAH. I was just looking to see what fun cars are out there... gas
milage HA! does gas milage matter for a car I'll drive when it's nice
out? I'd sooner stop driving entirely than drive an SUV too.

Anyways I think I answered my own question. The mach 1 I saw listed for
19 grand in chicago has the same pictures (except one) on ebay for a car
already bidded up to 30 grand 'reserve not met' and located in indy. If
I look into the others they are probably scams as well.

Old October 22nd 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Brent P wrote:
> I'm just randomly searching around and I'm seeing prices for cars that
> are way low for what I've seen in recent years... I'm still seeing some
> insane prices for junk but I'm seeing some cars at prices around half or
> less than what I've seen in recent years. I'm thinking its just some
> scam postings or something, anyone been tracking 60s muscle/pony car
> prices lately?

Not really, but I have a friend with a 390+ point show Studebaker who
was planning on selling it; he's holding it at the moment to see if
prices go back up. At least on eBay (still the best place to find a
non-mainstream car, despite their recent BS) they're soft.

Maybe if they *stay* soft I can pick up a nice Lark or maybe a Dart GT
or early Barracuda for a backup daily

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old October 22nd 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
wtrplnet

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> Brent P wrote:
>> I'm just randomly searching around and I'm seeing prices for cars that
>> are way low for what I've seen in recent years... I'm still seeing some
>> insane prices for junk but I'm seeing some cars at prices around half or
>> less than what I've seen in recent years. I'm thinking its just some
>> scam postings or something, anyone been tracking 60s muscle/pony car
>> prices lately?

> Not really, but I have a friend with a 390+ point show Studebaker who was
> planning on selling it; he's holding it at the moment to see if prices go
> back up. At least on eBay (still the best place to find a non-mainstream
> car, despite their recent BS) they're soft.
>
> Maybe if they *stay* soft I can pick up a nice Lark or maybe a Dart GT or
> early Barracuda for a backup daily
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
> http://members.cox.net/njnagel

If you want something fun and cheap to drive in nice weather, get a Miata.
There are a zillion of them around and nice ones can be had for much less
than $10,000.

Old October 22nd 08, 10:14 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

wtrplnet wrote:

> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
>> Brent P wrote:
>>> I'm just randomly searching around and I'm seeing prices for cars that
>>> are way low for what I've seen in recent years... I'm still seeing some
>>> insane prices for junk but I'm seeing some cars at prices around half or
>>> less than what I've seen in recent years. I'm thinking its just some
>>> scam postings or something, anyone been tracking 60s muscle/pony car
>>> prices lately?

>> Not really, but I have a friend with a 390+ point show Studebaker who
>> was planning on selling it; he's holding it at the moment to see if
>> prices go back up. At least on eBay (still the best place to find a
>> non-mainstream car, despite their recent BS) they're soft.
>>
>> Maybe if they *stay* soft I can pick up a nice Lark or maybe a Dart GT
>> or early Barracuda for a backup daily
>>
>> nate
>>
>> --
>> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
>> http://members.cox.net/njnagel

> If you want something fun and cheap to drive in nice weather, get a
> Miata. There are a zillion of them around and nice ones can be had for
> much less than $10,000.

I've already got a Porsche 944; basically a Germanic version of the same
concept (for less $$)

it's actually an all weather driver, I put snow tires on it for the
winter and it handles what little snow we get here just fine.

nate

Old October 22nd 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

On 2008-10-22, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> Brent P wrote:
>> I'm just randomly searching around and I'm seeing prices for cars that
>> are way low for what I've seen in recent years... I'm still seeing some
>> insane prices for junk but I'm seeing some cars at prices around half or
>> less than what I've seen in recent years. I'm thinking its just some
>> scam postings or something, anyone been tracking 60s muscle/pony car
>> prices lately?
>>

> Not really, but I have a friend with a 390+ point show Studebaker who
> was planning on selling it; he's holding it at the moment to see if
> prices go back up. At least on eBay (still the best place to find a
> non-mainstream car, despite their recent BS) they're soft.
>
> Maybe if they *stay* soft I can pick up a nice Lark or maybe a Dart GT
> or early Barracuda for a backup daily

I'm really hoping for a crash in prices. I should have known immediately
what I was seeing was too good to be true, too much too fast. Sure
enough doing some more digging turned up one of the actual cars.
scammers everywhere.

Old October 22nd 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Oct 21, 7:10*pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> Brent P wrote:
> > I'm just randomly searching around and I'm seeing prices for cars that
> > are way low for what I've seen in recent years... *I'm still seeing some
> > insane prices for junk but I'm seeing some cars at prices around half or
> > less than what I've seen in recent years. I'm thinking its just some
> > scam postings or something, anyone been tracking 60s muscle/pony car
> > prices lately?

> Not really, but I have a friend with a 390+ point show Studebaker who
> was planning on selling it; he's holding it at the moment to see if
> prices go back up. *At least on eBay (still the best place to find a
> non-mainstream car, despite their recent BS) they're soft.
>
> Maybe if they *stay* soft I can pick up a nice Lark or maybe a Dart GT
> or early Barracuda for a backup daily
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I know where there is a Plymouth Fury that was parked way back in a
garage and never moved since. Don't know the year and all I could see
was the rear end. Looked straight and rust in this area is not a
problem. I posted a notice on some collector forum but got no
inquiries. It is located in the boonies near Pullman, WA.

Also a mid/late 30s caddie phaeton, suicide doors, wire wheels, fender
wells, all there (minus the cloth roof 'patch'. It has sunk into the
dirt up to the running boards. Also got no interest in that one.

I have no financial interest in either - just hate to see good iron
sitting and deteriorating.

Harry K

Harry K
Old October 22nd 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

On Oct 22, 10:13*am, Harry K > wrote:
> On Oct 21, 7:10*pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>

> > Brent P wrote:
> > > I'm just randomly searching around and I'm seeing prices for cars that
> > > are way low for what I've seen in recent years... *I'm still seeing some
> > > insane prices for junk but I'm seeing some cars at prices around half or
> > > less than what I've seen in recent years. I'm thinking its just some
> > > scam postings or something, anyone been tracking 60s muscle/pony car
> > > prices lately?

> > Not really, but I have a friend with a 390+ point show Studebaker who
> > was planning on selling it; he's holding it at the moment to see if
> > prices go back up. *At least on eBay (still the best place to find a
> > non-mainstream car, despite their recent BS) they're soft.

> > Maybe if they *stay* soft I can pick up a nice Lark or maybe a Dart GT
> > or early Barracuda for a backup daily

> > nate

> > --
> > replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

> I know where there is a Plymouth Fury that was parked way back in a
> garage and never moved since. Don't know the year and all I could see
> was the rear end. *Looked straight and rust in this area is not a
> problem. *I posted a notice on some collector forum but got no
> inquiries. *It is located in the boonies near Pullman, WA.

Well, there's your problem. I'd love to have just about any 60's west
coast car, but the last time I checked shipping from there to hear was
about $1500, and that was before the gas crisis. Add another $500 for
being in the boonies (shipping costs are cheaper when the vehicle is
somewhere that a driver is going anyway) and another couple bucks for
likely being inop (being able to drive the vehicle onto the truck is
definitely easier for the driver) and you're already talking real
money... not a big deal for a $30K classic, but for a project car
that's a large part of the acquisition budget.

Sad but true.

It was shipping that put me over the top on a pickup truck that in
retrospect I should have sucked it up and bought anyway; it was a
little more than I could comfortably spend but shipping was a
significant factor. (truck was in CA, I'm just outside of DC.)

nate