BCM problems on a 1996 voyager

Old September 21st 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default BCM problems on a 1996 voyager

I've been having BCM (body control module) problems with my '96
Voyager for over a month.

It started in early August. Took it to the dealer, which replaced the
original BCM for a new one for about $1500.

Within a week after the replacement, my gas gauge failed. Took it
back to the dealer where the mechanic said the BCM they just put in a
week earlier was faulty. Dealer replaced it (again) at no charge.

However, when I picked up the car the windshield wipers were no longer
working. Again, back to the dealer where the mechanic says the BCM he
installed just five days ago is faulty. What's more, when I asked if
there was anything in the car (wiring, other electrical problems,
etc...) that might be causing problems for the BCM, I'm told no, just
that the BCM needs to be replaced.

This will be the third BCM installed in my 1996 Voyager within the
last 30 days. Does this happen a lot? Is the mechanic screwing up the
installation? Or should I be looking for something else in the van
(despite what the mechanic said), that might be causing problems with
the BCM?

Old September 25th 07, 09:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
M. Blomquist

I also have a '96, and I'm running fairly dependably now on my second BCM.
My original failure was the windshield wipers. There are problems with
vehicle ground points under the hood and elsewhere. The one I've had the
most trouble with is on the drivers side beneath the battery box. There are
two large wiring harness connectors in the area that may obscure the ground
point which is on the wheel well. There is a drain on the bottom of the
battery box that you would be well advised to put a length of hose on to
direct anything that drains from the battery away from the electrical
connections and the grounding point. Clean all the grounding points you can
find, coat with spark plug boot lubricant or dielectric grease, and tighten
the connection really good. MB

ups.com...