My First BMW - 3 Series Convertible

Old December 29th 07, 01:28 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
RICK DAVIS

Default My First BMW - 3 Series Convertible

I'm looking at my very first BMW. A 3 Series Convertible. In the
past I've only owned Hondas and Chevys. Any advice on buying a BMW
(pros & cons). Its the most money I've ever spent on a car and just
want to be assured Its a good decision. I'm not buying it until the
spring (I live in the NE - Southern NY State). Thanks for any feedback.

Rick

Old December 29th 07, 05:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Vernon Balbert

On 12/29/2007 5:28 AM, RICK DAVIS went clickity clack on the keyboard
and produced this interesting bit of text:
> I'm looking at my very first BMW. A 3 Series Convertible. In the
> past I've only owned Hondas and Chevys. Any advice on buying a BMW
> (pros & cons). Its the most money I've ever spent on a car and just
> want to be assured Its a good decision. I'm not buying it until the
> spring (I live in the NE - Southern NY State). Thanks for any feedback.

Test drive one first. BMWs do not feel like Hondas or Chevys in the
least. Many people think they're stiff and hard to control. But this
is so you can actually feel the road and respond to it more accurately.
Also consider that because BMWs are high performance cars the
maintenance and repairs are going to cost you more. They're not cheap
cars to own.

That said, I've owned two Hondas, two Oldsmobiles, a Buick, a Toyota a
Dodge and two BMWs. None of them come close to how fun a BMW is to
drive. An example: My sister needed to borrow my car as hers was in
the shop. I let her with the admonition, "Be careful. It wants to go
fast." She scoffed at that (she had never driven a BMW before) and she
took off to do her errands. When she came back she was awestruck and
said, "It DOES want to go fast!" You've been driving milk horses and
BMWs are thoroughbreds. When you first drive one you'll be amazed at
the responsiveness and sensitivity to your driving they are. My dad
(who has owned three BMWs) says it has a button that makes all the other
cars get behind him: the accelerator. Where I live (Los Angeles)
there's a steep hill that the freeway traverses. I can accelerate up
the hill in 5th gear in my 1994 530i while other cars are struggling to
maintain a constant speed. That's 5th gear with a gear ratio of 1:1.
If I really want to move up the hill I put it in 4th gear and step on
it. It's exhilarating.

I could go on and on about how much fun these cars are to drive, but
you'll just have to experience it yourself. If you don't like how they
handle then stay away from them and go back to a more mundane car.
(Frankly I'd stay with Honda or go with Toyota. Chevys stink.) But if
you do like it, just be aware that they aren't cheap to maintain. But
if you do maintain it properly they'll last a long time.

--
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
Old December 29th 07, 05:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Rick[_17_]

On Dec 29, 12:18*pm, Vernon Balbert > wrote:

> Test drive one first. *BMWs do not feel like Hondas or Chevys in the
> least. *Many people think they're stiff and hard to control. *But this
> is so you can actually feel the road and respond to it more accurately.
> * Also consider that because BMWs are high performance cars the
> maintenance and repairs are going to cost you more. *They're not cheap
> cars to own.
>
> That said, I've owned two Hondas, two Oldsmobiles, a Buick, a Toyota a
> Dodge and two BMWs. *None of them come close to how fun a BMW is to
> drive. *An example: *My sister needed to borrow my car as hers was in
> the shop. *I let her with the admonition, "Be careful. *It wants to go
> fast." *She scoffed at that (she had never driven a BMW before) and she
> took off to do her errands. *When she came back she was awestruck and
> said, "It DOES want to go fast!" *You've been driving milk horses and
> BMWs are thoroughbreds. *When you first drive one you'll be amazed at
> the responsiveness and sensitivity to your driving they are. *My dad
> (who has owned three BMWs) says it has a button that makes all the other
> cars get behind him: the accelerator. *Where I live (Los Angeles)
> there's a steep hill that the freeway traverses. *I can accelerate up
> the hill in 5th gear in my 1994 530i while other cars are struggling to
> maintain a constant speed. *That's 5th gear with a gear ratio of 1:1.
> If I really want to move up the hill I put it in 4th gear and step on
> it. *It's exhilarating.
>
> I could go on and on about how much fun these cars are to drive, but
> you'll just have to experience it yourself. *If you don't like how they
> handle then stay away from them and go back to a more mundane car.
> (Frankly I'd stay with Honda or go with Toyota. *Chevys stink.) *But if
> you do like it, just be aware that they aren't cheap to maintain. *But
> if you do maintain it properly they'll last a long time.
>
> --
> Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I will test drive one. I'm 6 foot
5 and I sat in
this model a few days ago. Its a nice fit. I currently drive a Chevy
Monte Carlo SS.
I just love the looks of this BMW. Free service for the first 4 years
or 40K miles.
How much maint. do these cars require? Its also going to be my first
rear wheel
drive car. My other choice is the new Caddy CTS. I haven't even sat
in that one yet.
Old December 29th 07, 05:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Vernon Balbert

On 12/29/2007 9:36 AM, Rick went clickity clack on the keyboard and
produced this interesting bit of text:

> Thanks for the feedback. Yes I will test drive one. I'm 6 foot
> 5 and I sat in
> this model a few days ago. Its a nice fit. I currently drive a Chevy
> Monte Carlo SS.
> I just love the looks of this BMW. Free service for the first 4 years
> or 40K miles.
> How much maint. do these cars require? Its also going to be my first
> rear wheel
> drive car. My other choice is the new Caddy CTS. I haven't even sat
> in that one yet.

They don't require any "special" maintenance that other cars do
(although I've heard that you should change out the automatic tranny
fluid every so often; I have always driven a stick) it's just that some
parts will wear out more often such as brake rotors. (These need to be
changed about every other brake pad change and shouldn't be turned like
you would a more mundane car.) The engine itself is pretty darn
reliable. My car is nearly 14 years old (egad, I have a daughter that's
only a year older!) and when I change the oil it's still translucent.
Darker than when it was first put in, but not like the black sludge I've
seen in other cars.

Be aware that these cars do break down and need repairs from time to
time. I consider this part of maintenance. But parts are more
expensive than typical cars. (My oil filter costs about $11.) I've had
to replace some master cylinder rubber bushings, belts, and I'm
beginning to get a coolant leak that I need to address. But it's well
worth it for the enjoyment I get from driving it, even in heavy traffic.

--
Even barbarians like chocolate chip cookies.
Old December 29th 07, 07:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.

"Rick" > wrote in message
>I just love the looks of this BMW. Free service for the first 4 years
>or 40K miles.

Actually 4 yrs./50k miles

>How much maint. do these cars require?

There's a dash readout which calculates maintenance intervals depending on
driving conditions using approx. 15,000 miles as a baseline. The basic
service is called an "Oil Service" and involves an oil (synthetic) & filter
change, a cabin air filter change as well as some inspections. The cost
(after the free maintenance period) by a dealer is about $325.00. At
approximately 30k, the service is called "Inspection I" and is a bit more
elaborate for around $500.00. Certain items are time based such as brake
fluid (2 yrs.) and radiator coolant (4 yrs.), and spark plugs and O2 sensors
are called for at 100k.

If you do not put on 15k within a year, your free maintenance will cover an
oil/filter change annually.

Some of us prefer more frequent oil changes. My dealer charges about $85
for an "Interim Oil Change" (as opposed to the above mentioned "Oil
Service") which I have done midway between the scheduled services.

Also, my dealer (I assume they're typical of BMW dealers) provides a free
service loaner (albeit not a BMW) an does an excellent car wash.

>Its also going to be my first rear wheel drive car.

You'll love it!

Tom K.

Old December 29th 07, 08:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Vernon Balbert > wrote:
>They don't require any "special" maintenance that other cars do
>(although I've heard that you should change out the automatic tranny
>fluid every so often; I have always driven a stick)

You should do this with EVERY car. And you should do it with the manual
transmission fluid too. On the BMW I recommend doing the manual every
50,000 miles or so.

>it's just that some
>parts will wear out more often such as brake rotors. (These need to be
>changed about every other brake pad change and shouldn't be turned like
>you would a more mundane car.)

Brake rotors are one of those things that wear out faster when you use
them more. If you're apt to drive more aggressively in a high performance
car, you will go through pads and rotors more. If you still drive like
a little old lady when behind the wheel of a fast car, you won't.

>The engine itself is pretty darn
>reliable. My car is nearly 14 years old (egad, I have a daughter that's
>only a year older!) and when I change the oil it's still translucent.
>Darker than when it was first put in, but not like the black sludge I've
>seen in other cars.

I will say that more recently BMW has gone in for a lot of wacky electronic
stuff, and like all highly complex systems they are prone to failure. Life
is like that. If you don't want to fix it, order the car without it. If
you're forced to get it, expect to have to fix it.

>Be aware that these cars do break down and need repairs from time to
>time. I consider this part of maintenance. But parts are more
>expensive than typical cars. (My oil filter costs about $11.) I've had
>to replace some master cylinder rubber bushings, belts, and I'm
>beginning to get a coolant leak that I need to address. But it's well
>worth it for the enjoyment I get from driving it, even in heavy traffic.

Yes, but that's no reason you should be spending a hundred bucks for an
oil change....
--scott
Old December 29th 07, 09:47 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Vernon Balbert

On 12/29/2007 12:04 PM, Scott Dorsey went clickity clack on the keyboard
and produced this interesting bit of text:
> Vernon Balbert > wrote:
>> They don't require any "special" maintenance that other cars do
>> (although I've heard that you should change out the automatic tranny
>> fluid every so often; I have always driven a stick)

> You should do this with EVERY car. And you should do it with the manual
> transmission fluid too. On the BMW I recommend doing the manual every
> 50,000 miles or so.
>
>> it's just that some
>> parts will wear out more often such as brake rotors. (These need to be
>> changed about every other brake pad change and shouldn't be turned like
>> you would a more mundane car.)

> Brake rotors are one of those things that wear out faster when you use
> them more. If you're apt to drive more aggressively in a high performance
> car, you will go through pads and rotors more. If you still drive like
> a little old lady when behind the wheel of a fast car, you won't.
>
>> The engine itself is pretty darn
>> reliable. My car is nearly 14 years old (egad, I have a daughter that's
>> only a year older!) and when I change the oil it's still translucent.
>> Darker than when it was first put in, but not like the black sludge I've
>> seen in other cars.

> I will say that more recently BMW has gone in for a lot of wacky electronic
> stuff, and like all highly complex systems they are prone to failure. Life
> is like that. If you don't want to fix it, order the car without it. If
> you're forced to get it, expect to have to fix it.
>
>> Be aware that these cars do break down and need repairs from time to
>> time. I consider this part of maintenance. But parts are more
>> expensive than typical cars. (My oil filter costs about $11.) I've had
>> to replace some master cylinder rubber bushings, belts, and I'm
>> beginning to get a coolant leak that I need to address. But it's well
>> worth it for the enjoyment I get from driving it, even in heavy traffic.

> Yes, but that's no reason you should be spending a hundred bucks for an
> oil change....

I don't spend $100 on an oil change. I do it myself. This car is the
easiest car to change the oil on than I have ever had. The oil pan plug
is close enough to the front of the car that I don't even have to get my
body under it and the filter is nice and handy right under the hood.
I've practically had to have a joint put in my arm between my elbow and
wrist to get to some of the oil filters I've changed.

--
The quickest way to a man's heart is with Chuck Norris' fist.
Old December 29th 07, 10:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ali[_3_]

Pro: It's a car.

Con: It's a convertible.

Old December 29th 07, 11:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Vernon Balbert > wrote:

>I don't spend $100 on an oil change. I do it myself. This car is the
>easiest car to change the oil on than I have ever had. The oil pan plug
>is close enough to the front of the car that I don't even have to get my
>body under it and the filter is nice and handy right under the hood.
>I've practically had to have a joint put in my arm between my elbow and
>wrist to get to some of the oil filters I've changed.

The E28 is actually a pain to change the oil on without a lift, because
pulling the hot canister out from the top is difficult with gloves on,
and impossible without gloves on.

I took a wooden rod, drilled a hole in it, and put a loop of rope through
it tied so it fits snugly around the canister. You loop it around the bottom,
undo the bolt on top, then drop the canister down and pull it back up
without spilling a drop. Makes things much easier.

The E28 is the first car I ever owned that didn't require any chassis lube
either. I'm not sure this is a good thing since I have gone through a hell
of a lot of control arm bushings.... but it halves the time to do the oil
change.
--scott
Old December 30th 07, 07:19 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Yvan

Nedavno Scott Dorsey napisa:

> >(although I've heard that you should change out the automatic tranny
> >fluid every so often; I have always driven a stick)

> You should do this with EVERY car. And you should do it with the
> manual transmission fluid too. On the BMW I recommend doing the
> manual every 50,000 miles or so.

I have '87 E30 manual. When (in winter) I start from cold it is hard to
shift into first and second gear until engine (and gearbox, I guess)
warms up (not much, a couple of miles is enough).

I am thinking about trying to change gearbox oil with engine oil (as per
my manual), which is lighter, to see if that will help.

My question is do I change this oil as I would change gearbox oil, or
at the same time as engine oil, or something else?

--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **