If GM goes out of business?

Old November 5th 09, 08:21 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Speaker of the Truth[_3_]

Default If GM goes out of business?

Not sure if I asked this before but.If GM goes out of business can they sell
the rights to the 57 Chevy? Or, can you then build a 57 Chevy and they can't
send the GM police after you?

My friends were talking about how bad it was that Oldsmobile is gone. I said
maybe the Chinese would buy them and start building 1970 442's again? Retro?
Maybe the Chinese would buy Buick and build GNXs 1970's GSs.

Didn't the Chinese just but Hummer? (don't know why you'd want Hummer?)

Old November 7th 09, 01:10 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Jon[_6_]

Speaker of the Truth wrote:
> Not sure if I asked this before but.If GM goes out of business can they sell
> the rights to the 57 Chevy? Or, can you then build a 57 Chevy and they can't
> send the GM police after you?
>
> My friends were talking about how bad it was that Oldsmobile is gone. I said
> maybe the Chinese would buy them and start building 1970 442's again? Retro?
> Maybe the Chinese would buy Buick and build GNXs 1970's GSs.
>
> Didn't the Chinese just but Hummer? (don't know why you'd want Hummer?)

You can build a complete '57 right now from the various parts catalogues
like Bob's Classic Chevy Parts and Danchuk.
Old November 7th 09, 04:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Jon" > wrote in message
. ..
> Speaker of the Truth wrote:
>> Not sure if I asked this before but.If GM goes out of business can
>> they sell
>> the rights to the 57 Chevy? Or, can you then build a 57 Chevy and
>> they can't
>> send the GM police after you?
>>
>> My friends were talking about how bad it was that Oldsmobile is
>> gone. I said
>> maybe the Chinese would buy them and start building 1970 442's
>> again? Retro?
>> Maybe the Chinese would buy Buick and build GNXs 1970's GSs.
>>
>> Didn't the Chinese just but Hummer? (don't know why you'd want
>> Hummer?)
>>

> You can build a complete '57 right now from the various parts
> catalogues like Bob's Classic Chevy Parts and Danchuk.

Actually none of the above can be done on a commercial basis. Not just
because of the GM trade marks but because the Federal government won't
allow you to build to yesterdays standards. Then there is the limited
number of buyers that a huge amount of capital would be poured into
for limited offering and you have a non winner.

Then in December when Obama signs the Climate treaty in Copenhagen
China will have enough control of the USA you'll have to clear it with
the dictator in charge. That will happen as he apologizes for us
having been successful at one point in history.

Old November 7th 09, 06:33 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"Jon" > wrote in message news:4af571a3$0$5343

> You can build a complete '57 right now from the various parts catalogues
> like Bob's Classic Chevy Parts and Danchuk.

I thnk the same goes for a C3.
Though I'm not sure if anyone is selling frames and birdcages.

-W

Old November 7th 09, 08:49 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message

> "Jon" > wrote in message
>
>> You can build a complete '57 right now from the various parts
>> catalogues
>> like Bob's Classic Chevy Parts and Danchuk.

> I thnk the same goes for a C3.
> Though I'm not sure if anyone is selling frames and birdcages.
>
> -W

Maybe the C1 & C2 but I've never seen a set of parts offered for the
C3. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth to call them a "C" anything,
should be just the C5 and C6. Even that is not on the manufacture's
paper work if I recall.

What would be expected from a post that was opened off topic to begin
with only to start a discussion of choice that he has beat to death
already???????????...............

Old November 8th 09, 06:39 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Dad wrote:

> "Clams Canino" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Jon" > wrote in message news:4af571a3$0$5343
>>
>>> You can build a complete '57 right now from the various parts catalogues
>>> like Bob's Classic Chevy Parts and Danchuk.

>> I thnk the same goes for a C3.
>> Though I'm not sure if anyone is selling frames and birdcages.
>>
>> -W
>>

> Maybe the C1 & C2 but I've never seen a set of parts offered for the C3.
> Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth to call them a "C" anything, should
> be just the C5 and C6. Even that is not on the manufacture's paper work
> if I recall.
>
> What would be expected from a post that was opened off topic to begin
> with only to start a discussion of choice that he has beat to death
> already???????????...............

Sounds like time to start a clandestine Engine
Number/VIN registry and find a territory with
liberal 'salvage' laws.

Somewhat akin to the military's shortage of a
particular aircraft years ago. Congress wouldn't
authorize any new production to cover attrition
so, if any evidence of a tail number could be
found (one was dragged up from 1800 feet of
ocean), the aircraft was "repaired" and placed
back in service.
--
pj
Old November 10th 09, 06:48 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"Dad" > wrote in message

> Maybe the C1 & C2 but I've never seen a set of parts offered for the
> C3.

I didn't mean a "set" - just that all told you can almost build a car from
the catalogs.

>Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth to call them a "C" anything,
> should be just the C5 and C6. Even that is not on the manufacture's
> paper work if I recall.

Time to get over it. The "C" designations merely "work" for practical
differentiation.

Personally - I see as much difference between a 1953 vs a 1962 as I do
between a 1963 vs a 1982 ; but it still "works" overall.

-W

Old November 10th 09, 04:08 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message
m...

> "Dad" > wrote in message
>
>> Maybe the C1 & C2 but I've never seen a set of parts offered for
>> the
>> C3.

> I didn't mean a "set" - just that all told you can almost build a
> car from
> the catalogs.

OK, sets, or kits if you prefer, are out there for the C1 and C2 but
nothing like that is offered for the C3. Denim, buttons, and rivets
are in a catalog but very few people make their own jeans and even
fewer people look at them as a reason to make their own just because
they're available.

The statement you replied to was............

>> You can build a complete '57 right now from the various parts
>> catalogues
>> like Bob's Classic Chevy Parts and Danchuk.

Your reply........

>I thnk the same goes for a C3.
>Though I'm not sure if anyone is selling frames and birdcages.

Those "catalogues" do offer sub assemblies and parts kits aimed at
building a complete car. That applies to the C1 and the C2 but not the
C3. Those companies come and go quite quickly as the final cost is
more than just a bit prohibitive. That high cost is the main reason
the C3 is not on the short list, it's value is not close enough to the
C1 and C2 to even start the project.

HOME BUSINESS [email protected] Technology 0 October 20th 07 04:21 AM
Business club, Business leads, New business opportunities elie Driving 0 August 21st 07 08:12 AM
best business . JUST DO IT . tom Jeep 0 July 13th 06 07:01 AM
BMW Radio bmw business stathis gotsis BMW 11 October 10th 05 03:24 PM
navigation business bmw hardij BMW 0 January 13th 05 05:36 PM