Old Russian? German? Motorbike

Old September 10th 10, 03:39 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.motorcycles,at.freizeit.motorrad,de.rec.motorrad,rec.motorcycles.tech
NotSure

Default Old Russian? German? Motorbike

Make/model of this motorbike?
http://www-2.net/y23.stock.pictures/...21_134646.html

could well be 1930s ...
Old September 10th 10, 06:58 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.motorcycles,at.freizeit.motorrad,de.rec.motorrad,rec.motorcycles.tech
Radbert Grimmig

NotSure schrieb:

>http://www-2.net/y23.stock.pictures/...21_134646.html
>
>could well be 1930s ...

Resembles a NSU OSL 501
http://www.motorradwallpaper.de/Gale...Bj_1937_1_.jpg

The engine looks different though. It might be a Horex Imperator twin
in an NSU chassis, but I'm guessing.

--

Gruß
Radbert
Old September 10th 10, 01:23 PM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.motorcycles,soc.culture.baltics,de.rec.motorrad,rec.motorcycles.tech
NotSure

> http://www-2.net/y23.stock.pictures/...21_134646.html

It has the double fork of an NSU, but it different.

I could be anything.. Lithuania was german until 1918, then
independent.
the photo is probably from before the russians occupied Lithuanian
territory
in 1940...

hence...

it could be a polish, german, or russian motorbike.
Old September 10th 10, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.motorcycles,soc.culture.baltics,de.rec.motorrad,rec.motorcycles.tech
`

On Sep 10, 5:23*am, NotSure > wrote:
> >http://www-2.net/y23.stock.pictures/.../n20100821_134...

> It has the double fork of an NSU, but it different.

That's called a "girder" fork. They were very common.

> it could be a polish, german, or russian motorbike.

Also, Motosacoche was a Swiss company that licensed motorcycles
resembling NSU's that were sold all over Europe and Britain.

Old September 10th 10, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.motorcycles,soc.culture.baltics,de.rec.motorrad,soc.culture.europe
Tadas Blinda

Default Aurochs

On Sep 11, 6:27Â*am, "J. Anderson" > wrote:

> >> Is that a polar bear painted on the door of the truck behind the bike?

> >between 1925 and 1935. The army would be the national Lithuanian one.

> It's probably the white bull of
> Kaunas:http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...o_rinktine.jpg
> Kaunas was at that time the temporary capital of Lithuania (Vilnius being
> occupied by the Poles).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurochs

Introduction:

Aurochs
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Not to be confused with Wisent.
Aurochs
Fossil range: Late Pliocene to Holocene
Copy of a painting of an Aurochs owned by a merchant in Augsburg in
the 19th century. The original probably dates to the 16th century.
Conservation status

Extinct (1627) (IUCN 3.1)[1]
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Artiodactyla
Family: Bovidae
Subfamily: Bovinae
Genus: Bos
Species: â€*B. primigenius
Binomial name
â€*Bos primigenius
Subspecies

Bos primigenius primigenius
(Bojanus, 1827)
Bos primigenius namadicus
(Falconer, 1859)
Bos primigenius mauretanicus
(Thomas, 1881)
Synonyms

Bos mauretanicus Thomas, 1881
Bos namadicus Falconer, 1859

The aurochs or urus (Bos primigenius), the ancestor of domestic
cattle, was a type of huge wild cattle which inhabited Europe, Asia
and North Africa, but is now extinct; it survived in Europe until
1627.

The aurochs was far larger than most modern domestic cattle with a
shoulder height of 2 metres (6.6 ft) and weighing 1,000 kilograms
(2,200 lb). Domestication of bovines occurred in several parts of the
world at roughly the same time, about 8,000 years ago. It was regarded
as a challenging quarry animal, contributing to its extinction.

The last recorded aurochs, a female, died in 1627 in the Jaktorów
Forest Poland, and its skull is now the property of Livrustkammaren in
Stockholm.

Aurochs appear in prehistoric cave paintings, Julius Caesar's The
Gallic War and as the national symbol of many European countries,
states and cities such as Alba-Iulia, Kaunas, Romania, Moldavia,
Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, and Uri.

In 1920, the Heck brothers, who were German biologists, attempted to
recreate aurochs. The resulting cattle are known as Heck cattle or
Reconstructed Aurochs, and number in the thousands in Europe today.
However, they are genetically and physiologically distinct from
aurochs. The Heck brothers' aurochs also have a pale yellow dorsal
stripe, instead of white.
Old September 11th 10, 08:15 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.motorcycles,soc.culture.baltics,de.rec.motorrad,soc.culture.europe
The Older Gentleman[_2_]

Default WHICH classic MOTORBIKE? -- was: Aurochs

NotSure > wrote:

<snip>

> I am stumped.

OK, I'm not sure it's a twin, actually. That appears to be a single
downtube frame, and the visible cylinder is mounted right behind it, on
the centre line. The finning on the right-hand "cylinder" does not go
down so far. It may be something else - not a cylinder.

Vertical twins were incredibly rare pre-war. There was Triumph and....
what else?

It's much much more likely to be a single.

--
BMW K1100LT Ducati 750SS Honda CB400Fx2 Triumph Street Triple
Kawasaki GT550x2 Suzuki TS250ERx2 GN250 Damn, up to ten bikes!
Old September 11th 10, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.motorcycles,soc.culture.baltics,de.rec.motorrad,soc.culture.europe
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember (The
Older Gentleman) saying something like:

>OK, I'm not sure it's a twin, actually. That appears to be a single
>downtube frame, and the visible cylinder is mounted right behind it, on
>the centre line. The finning on the right-hand "cylinder" does not go
>down so far. It may be something else - not a cylinder.

That's possibly finning over the exhaust port and it rings a bell with
me. Fecked if I can recall what on, though.
Old September 12th 10, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.motorcycles,soc.culture.baltics,de.rec.motorrad,soc.culture.europe
Oily

"The Older Gentleman" wrote:

> NotSure wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >
> > I am stumped.

> OK, I'm not sure it's a twin, actually. That appears to be a single
> downtube frame, and the visible cylinder is mounted right behind it, on
> the centre line. The finning on the right-hand "cylinder" does not go
> down so far. It may be something else - not a cylinder.
>
> Vertical twins were incredibly rare pre-war. There was Triumph and....
> what else?
>
> It's much much more likely to be a single.

I'm sure it's a big sidevalve single and that's just finning on the exhaust
port. It's also got a narrow ribbed crankcase, too narrow for a twin.
Definitely a flathead, possibly aluminium and '40s I'd say. Forks look like
old Norton 16H

Old September 12th 10, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.motorcycles,soc.culture.baltics,de.rec.motorrad,soc.culture.europe
Pip Luscher

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 00:51:30 +0100, "Oily"
> wrote:

>I'm sure it's a big sidevalve single and that's just finning on the exhaust
>port.

That's what I thought

> It's also got a narrow ribbed crankcase, too narrow for a twin.

Didn't notice that.

--
-Pip
Old September 14th 10, 09:34 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,uk.rec.motorcycles,soc.culture.baltics,de.rec.motorrad,soc.culture.europe
NotSure

Default WHICH classic MOTORBIKE? ** CONTEST **

OK, everyone... Here a CONTEST.

WHAT MODEL/MAKE is this Motorcycle?
http://www-2.net/y23.stock.pictures/...21_134646.html
(photo was taken approx early-mid 1930s in Kaunas, Lithuania)

You are getting points for
05 - correct country of manufacture of the engine
10 - correct country of manufacture of the bike
15 - correct company name
20 - correct model
25 - correct year of manufacture

Any suggestions what the 1st 2nd and 3rd prices could be?