BMW new 3 series ( E90) preview

Old September 18th 04, 04:06 PM
Anoop Ghanwani

Default BMW new 3 series ( E90) preview

dizzy > wrote in message >. ..

> I also wish it had door-guard strips.

Moving away from door-guard strips seems to be a trend
these days. None of the newly introduced models seem
to have it. The new 5's and 7's don't have it.
Acura seems to be doing away with it, and their sheetmetal
(at least on the older models) was much more prone to dinging.
I wonder why...maybe they are more ding resistant now?

Anoop
Old September 18th 04, 10:30 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Banner ads? What banner ads?

Today I installed XP SP-2. No banner ads, just a pop-up to tell me that
pop-ups were blocked...

I think I looked at this before today and I don't recall pop-ups then either
I think the Goggle tool bar has an ad blocker.

DAS
---

Old September 19th 04, 07:10 AM
Neil Williams

"Jim Levie" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:57:41 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>

> > "+ Rob +" > wrote in message
> > nk.net...

> >> the
> >>
> >> That's pretty bad. While not an absolutely hideous design (like the
> >> Bangle 5 and 7), it's a clear step down from the heights of elegance

and
> >> grace reached by the last few iterations of the 3-Series.
> >> But BMW fans needn't weep alone about this development. The

creation
> > of
> >> next-generation Bangles appears to be a new German trend. Just take a
> >> look at the upcoming Audi A6 and A4. It's as if Audi, in an attempt to
> >> mimic BMW's every move, hired Bangle to design a line of cars for them
> >> too.
> >> As much as I hate to say it (because I dislike SUVs and absolutely

> > love
> >> the departing classic BMW lines), it looks as if the X5 will soon be

far
> > and
> >> away the most attractive BMW on the market.
> >>
> >> Rob
> >> 2002 Audi A4 3.0Q
> >> 2005 Audi TT 3.2 DSG
> >>

> > I am try8ing to recall the sentiment when the E36 came about in the

early
> > '90s. I am almost certain the 3 Series affectionados of the day were
> > similarly dismayed at the styling direction the company heading in. Now
> > listen to you ranting at the "elegance of the previous models", meaning
> > the E46 and E36.
> >

> That matches my memory of all of the rants about the "new design". I
> remember folks saying that it looked melted and nobody cared for the
> styling of the rear of the car. A couple of years later I heard folks
> saying the 80's cars looked "dated" and nobody was fussing abut the "new
> design".
>
> I predict the same thing will happen with these cars. In a year or two
> they'll be taken for granted. But right now thet're just "new and
> different".

The critical difference is the E36, E46, and the E39 were
runaway sales successes. They were popular with the public
and lauded in the press. The current 5-series (E60) and 7-series
have dismal sales, plummeting monthly, and are reviled by the
press. Hopefully the E90 won't follow the same pattern as
the 5- and 7-series.

--Neil

Old September 19th 04, 04:01 PM
330xi

i don't know where some people get their info from but
it is a fact that BMW is leading the north american market for sales
increases
for june, july and august

almost all other manufacturers had major decreases over last year
during the same time period and none were close in percentage increase

Old September 19th 04, 05:29 PM
bfd

"330xi" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> i don't know where some people get their info from but
> it is a fact that BMW is leading the north american market for sales
> increases
> for june, july and august
>
> almost all other manufacturers had major decreases over last year
> during the same time period and none were close in percentage increase

Can't comment on other mfrs, but at least for August 04 (latest info), in
the U.S. BMW 3, 5 and 7 series are not "increasing":

http://myfilelocker.comcast.net/fdme...roup_Sales.pdf

BMW should be "thankful" for its new 6 and X3 as everything else is in a
decline....

Old September 19th 04, 06:42 PM
Jim Levie

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 09:29:25 -0700, bfd wrote:

> Can't comment on other mfrs, but at least for August 04 (latest info), in
> the U.S. BMW 3, 5 and 7 series are not "increasing":
>
> http://myfilelocker.comcast.net/fdme...roup_Sales.pdf
>
> BMW should be "thankful" for its new 6 and X3 as everything else is in a
> decline...

But how much of the sales figures are driven by the style change as
compared to the general economic picture and the price of the cars? I
think it's probably safe to assume that the potential pool of BMW owners
hasn't substantially changed and if styling were the only issue you'd
probably see them going for the 2000's cars. There seems to be no shortage
of used vehicles and I haven't yet seen any data to suggest that sales of
pre-2005 models are soaring.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old September 19th 04, 06:55 PM
David Haggas

"+ Rob +" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "GRL" > wrote in message
> > Bangle keeps trying and he is getting better...or at least not as bad on

> the
> > small platform 3-series, but he still has not got it. "It" being a good
> > looking design.

> That's pretty bad. While not an absolutely hideous design (like the
> Bangle 5 and 7), it's a clear step down from the heights of elegance and
> grace reached by the last few iterations of the 3-Series.
> But BMW fans needn't weep alone about this development. The creation

of
> next-generation Bangles appears to be a new German trend. Just take a look
> at the upcoming Audi A6 and A4. It's as if Audi, in an attempt to mimic
> BMW's every move, hired Bangle to design a line of cars for them too.
> As much as I hate to say it (because I dislike SUVs and absolutely

love
> the departing classic BMW lines), it looks as if the X5 will soon be far

and
> away the most attractive BMW on the market.

I agree about the departing classic BMW lines, but these too have recently
been ruined by a Bangle facelift in both the X5 and the 3 series.The E46
front end looks a complete mess compared to the original - The pointed
lights and kidney look awkward when before everything blended in with the
rest of the cars' smooth rather than angular shape. Why couldn't they leave
it alone for the duration of the model? The X5 has also taken on the
detrimental oriental look but that will be around for much longer so it is
understandable the designers had a requirement for it to complement ugly
siblings

Old September 20th 04, 01:02 AM
bfd

"Jim Levie" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 09:29:25 -0700, bfd wrote:
>
> > Can't comment on other mfrs, but at least for August 04 (latest info),

in
> > the U.S. BMW 3, 5 and 7 series are not "increasing":
> >
> > http://myfilelocker.comcast.net/fdme...roup_Sales.pdf
> >
> > BMW should be "thankful" for its new 6 and X3 as everything else is in a
> > decline...

> But how much of the sales figures are driven by the style change as
> compared to the general economic picture and the price of the cars? I
> think it's probably safe to assume that the potential pool of BMW owners
> hasn't substantially changed and if styling were the only issue you'd
> probably see them going for the 2000's cars. There seems to be no shortage
> of used vehicles and I haven't yet seen any data to suggest that sales of
> pre-2005 models are soaring.

Agree, the $ sucks when compared to the Euro and that's why you find 525i in
the $45K range! Definitely not a bargain.

Nevertheless, poor styling and idrive doesn't help sales and are reflected
in the sales #s. In fact, as *down* as August sales were, July was even
worst!

Old September 25th 04, 02:38 AM
Matt Wette

"David Haggas" > writes:

> "+ Rob +" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> >
> > "GRL" > wrote in message
> > > Bangle keeps trying and he is getting better...or at least not as bad on

> > the
> > > small platform 3-series, but he still has not got it. "It" being a good
> > > looking design.

> > That's pretty bad. While not an absolutely hideous design (like the
> > Bangle 5 and 7), it's a clear step down from the heights of elegance and
> > grace reached by the last few iterations of the 3-Series.
> > But BMW fans needn't weep alone about this development. The creation

> of
> > next-generation Bangles appears to be a new German trend. Just take a look
> > at the upcoming Audi A6 and A4. It's as if Audi, in an attempt to mimic
> > BMW's every move, hired Bangle to design a line of cars for them too.
> > As much as I hate to say it (because I dislike SUVs and absolutely

> love
> > the departing classic BMW lines), it looks as if the X5 will soon be far

> and
> > away the most attractive BMW on the market.

> I agree about the departing classic BMW lines, but these too have recently
> been ruined by a Bangle facelift in both the X5 and the 3 series.The E46
> front end looks a complete mess compared to the original - The pointed
> lights and kidney look awkward when before everything blended in with the
> rest of the cars' smooth rather than angular shape. Why couldn't they leave
> it alone for the duration of the model? The X5 has also taken on the
> detrimental oriental look but that will be around for much longer so it is
> understandable the designers had a requirement for it to complement ugly
> siblings

I agree. I have a 330Ci and the rounded kidneys and down-lights are
nicer. However, I really like the look of the new M2 (a bit of
flame-surfacing). Supposed to be here in fall of 2005. Can't wait.

By the way, I heard that E46 was actually a Bangle design.
--
Matthew.R.Wette at jpl.nasa.gov -- I speak for myself, not for JPL.

Audi 4 vs. Bmw 3 Series Dennis W Audi 30 December 16th 04 03:50 AM
Workshop manual Spider series 4 Alfaspider Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 04 10:27 PM