The REAL Reason You're Broke

Old January 21st 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers
Brent P[_1_]

Default The REAL Reason You're Broke

In article > , wrote:

> I wouldn't dispute that point, but it has nothing to do with
> your first claim. Money has got zilch to do with happiness.

My happiness is proportional how much I am left alone and not bothered.
This society has been moving such that only money can buy the ability to
simply be left alone. It shouldn't be that way, but that's the way things
have been moving for a long time.

Old January 21st 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers
Bob Ward

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 04:40:51 GMT, > wrote:

>"Matthew T. Russotto" > wrote in message ...
>> In article > ,
>> > wrote:

>> >Like hell it is. Read any biography or autobiography of a
>> >rich person and you'll find the exact same stories of misery,
>> >substance abuse, spousal abuse, self-abuse etc etc.
>> >Absolute hell.

>> Watch any of the courtroom shows in the "Judge Mathis" or "Jerry
>> Springer" vein and you'll find all the same, only with poor people.
>> They just don't write books about it... or no one buys them, anyway.

>I wouldn't dispute that point, but it has nothing to do with
>your first claim. Money has got zilch to do with happiness.

Oh, yeah? All the happiness in the world can't buy happiness. So
there!

Old January 21st 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers
Matthew T. Russotto

In article > ,
> wrote:
>
>I wouldn't dispute that point, but it has nothing to do with
>your first claim. Money has got zilch to do with happiness.

You only think that because you have sufficient money.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old January 21st 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers
Matthew T. Russotto

In article > ,
> wrote:
>
>Comfort is relative. E.g. rich people, regardless of how much
>they insist otherwise, cannot begin to appreciate a good meal
>as much as a poor person.

On the contrary, a rich person will appreciate a good meal more than a
poor person; the poor person is less likely to appreciate the
distinction between an average meal and a good one. And the poor
person is a lot less likely to GET a good meal.

>Nor can they appreciate nice
>housing, decent clothing, transportation etc as much as poor
>people. Simply put, and within practical limits, wealth and
>power are misery, while poverty is happiness.

I take it you're posting from a public library, then?
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old January 21st 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

"jdoe" > wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 04:40:51 GMT, > wrote:
> >
> >I wouldn't dispute that point, but it has nothing to do with
> >your first claim. Money has got zilch to do with happiness.
> >

> what none of you are grasping is the fact that money is only a tool,
> it can be used to fund happiness or sadness, like any tool it can used
> properly or improperly, it all depends on how and who is using the
> tool.

I used to believe that. But after 45 years of being both very
poor and very rich, and seeing the experiences of others I've
reached the conclusion money makes people miserable of its
own accord. When Jesus said it's easier for a camel to pass
through an eye of a needle, than for a rich person to enter
heaven, do you think he was exaggerating?

To Matthew, "sufficient" (like "comfortable") is also a relative
term. Again, I'm not advocating dire poverty for anyone, only
honest separation between needs and wants.