GT + 17" wheels + snow chains

Old April 4th 06, 10:53 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default GT + 17" wheels + snow chains

Does anyone know if it is possible (or advisable) to fit snow chains on
the 17" wheels on the GT?

If not, can anyone recommend any winter tyres - and where is the best
place to buy them? I'm guessing KwikFit isn't the best idea:-)

Cheers,
Steve

Old April 4th 06, 05:44 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

On 4 Apr 2006 02:53:31 -0700, "Steve Haigh"
> wrote:

>Does anyone know if it is possible (or advisable) to fit snow chains on
>the 17" wheels on the GT?
>
>If not, can anyone recommend any winter tyres - and where is the best
>place to buy them? I'm guessing KwikFit isn't the best idea:-)

What about the ground clearance though? If it's anything like mine, a
stray snowball could lay waste to your under tray!

My brother ended up with skinny winter wheels AND tyres to solve his
snow problems.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old April 5th 06, 09:59 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Steve Haigh wrote:
> Does anyone know if it is possible (or advisable) to fit snow chains on
> the 17" wheels on the GT?
>
> If not, can anyone recommend any winter tyres - and where is the best
> place to buy them? I'm guessing KwikFit isn't the best idea:-)
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Hi Steve,
Has the law changed? In the UK. it was always the case that snow
chains on our roads were against the law. Unless you want to go off
road, [in an Alfa?]
Try Black circle tyres on the internet, [www.blackcircles.com] I used
them and found them to be good and very cheap. They use local fitting
depots to your own area.

John, UK.

Old April 5th 06, 10:28 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"John, UK." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Steve Haigh wrote:
>> Does anyone know if it is possible (or advisable) to fit snow chains on
>> the 17" wheels on the GT?
>>
>> If not, can anyone recommend any winter tyres - and where is the best
>> place to buy them? I'm guessing KwikFit isn't the best idea:-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Steve

> Hi Steve,
> Has the law changed? In the UK. it was always the case that snow
> chains on our roads were against the law. Unless you want to go off
> road, [in an Alfa?]

Robert: Well, here in Croatia chains are obbligatory when snow and winter
road conditions are declared by the highway patrols. And furthermore, the
driver that would take his Alfa spinning and going off-road would be a
disgrace for all Alfisti. People expect from us to drive like pro's.

Old April 5th 06, 01:04 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Robert Pichler wrote:
> "John, UK." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Steve Haigh wrote:
> >> Does anyone know if it is possible (or advisable) to fit snow chains on
> >> the 17" wheels on the GT?
> >>
> >> If not, can anyone recommend any winter tyres - and where is the best
> >> place to buy them? I'm guessing KwikFit isn't the best idea:-)
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Steve

> > Hi Steve,
> > Has the law changed? In the UK. it was always the case that snow
> > chains on our roads were against the law. Unless you want to go off
> > road, [in an Alfa?]

> Robert: Well, here in Croatia chains are obbligatory when snow and winter
> road conditions are declared by the highway patrols.

And furthermore, the
> driver that would take his Alfa spinning and going off-road would be a
> disgrace for all Alfisti. People expect from us to drive like pro's.

Hi Steve,
I like your comment.
Sorry I did not realise you were living in Croatia [stupid me] I would
say my info is not much use to you over there.
Good luck with your search.
John.

Old April 5th 06, 01:37 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

John, UK. wrote:

> > > Hi Steve,
> > > Has the law changed? In the UK. it was always the case that snow
> > > chains on our roads were against the law. Unless you want to go off
> > > road, [in an Alfa?]

> > Robert: Well, here in Croatia chains are obbligatory when snow and winter
> > road conditions are declared by the highway patrols.

> And furthermore, the
> > driver that would take his Alfa spinning and going off-road would be a
> > disgrace for all Alfisti. People expect from us to drive like pro's.
> >

> Hi Steve,
> I like your comment.
> Sorry I did not realise you were living in Croatia [stupid me] I would
> say my info is not much use to you over there.
> Good luck with your search.
> John.

Nope, I don't live in Croatia. I was asking because I would probably be
driving to the Alps from the UK next winter:-) I'll check out the
website you mentioned though, that might be the best way to get hold of
winter tyres.

Thanks,
Steve

Old April 5th 06, 01:55 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Steve Haigh" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Nope, I don't live in Croatia.

Lucky you.

Robert

Old April 5th 06, 05:55 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

TNT Tyres (in Ludlow, Shropshire) have just charged me £99 for Goodyear
225/45 (ZR) 17" (fully fitted) compared with the Black Circle price of £107.
Not a fortune saved, but really nice to buy local (and still beat the
internet!)

Old April 13th 06, 06:22 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

I thought that you can only use snow chains on the 17" wheels if you
have a V6. Then you must choose for the smaller size wheel (205). I
usually have the 18" wheels for the summer.

I use Michelin Pilot Alpin's for the winter. They're great, no
complaints....

Martijn