Info for drivers - new speed cameras...

Old March 31st 06, 12:46 PM posted to alt.uk.law,alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default Info for drivers - new speed cameras...

A little of topic but Iam sure we will get plenty of questions in here about
these new speed camaera...Taken from a mole... For your warning!!!

Dear All,

Final testing has now been completed on the new M42 speed cameras.

As of the 1st April 2006 (Saturday) the new digital automated tracking
system between junctions 3 & 7b on the M42 is scheduled to go live full
time.

There are 276 Digital Camaeras which have been set to a 2MPH tolerance. You
will not see any flash. The 1st you will know you have been caught is the
day a letter gets delivered by the postman with the £60 fine.

A local authority mole, Solihull.

<snip>

--
Thanks,
Andy Mak

Old March 31st 06, 06:53 PM posted to alt.uk.law,alt.autos.alfa-romeo

(snipped)

> Dear All,
>
> Final testing has now been completed on the new M42 speed cameras.
>
> As of the 1st April 2006 (Saturday) the new digital automated tracking
> system between junctions 3 & 7b on the M42 is scheduled to go live full
> time.
>
> There are 276 Digital Camaeras which have been set to a 2MPH tolerance.
> You will not see any flash. The 1st you will know you have been caught is
> the day a letter gets delivered by the postman with the £60 fine.

I am sceptical.

Firstly, 276 cameras is highly implausible and far more than needed to do
the job.

Secondly, the 2 mph tolerance is unlikely since the ACPO guideline is 10%
plus 2 which equals 79 on a motorway.

Just my five penn'orth.

Old March 31st 06, 08:06 PM posted to alt.uk.law,alt.autos.alfa-romeo

> I am sceptical.
>
> Firstly, 276 cameras is highly implausible and far more than needed to do
> the job.
>
> Secondly, the 2 mph tolerance is unlikely since the ACPO guideline is 10%
> plus 2 which equals 79 on a motorway.
>
> Just my five penn'orth.

Maybe you should research before venting off...

http://www.roadtraffic-technology.com/projects/m42/

And 2mph does seem plausible as it is an average speed trap rather than an
actual speed trap...

Old April 1st 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.uk.law,alt.autos.alfa-romeo

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 11:46:23 GMT, "Domestos" >
wrote:

>As of the 1st April

Ah ha!

>2006 (Saturday) the new digital automated tracking
>system between junctions 3 & 7b on the M42 is scheduled to go live full
>time.
>
>There are 276 Digital Camaeras which have been set to a 2MPH tolerance.

Odd then that the article you quote elsewhere..

http://www.roadtraffic-technology.com/projects/m42/

...says there will be only "eight fixed enforcement cameras" with the
rest being operational ones!

As for 2mph tolerance, that's ******** too. At 70mph, 2mph is
2.86%..even a drunk useless lawyer would get you off with that one.
Even if speedos were more accurate it's probably too small a margin to
accurately see on an average speedometer.

Of course, that doesn't stop them *saying* that it's 2mph (largely to
keep a certain pressure group quiet) but I bet the actual enforcement
level set on the cameras will be the usual tried and tested limit.
We'll only know when people start telling us what speed they got done
for.

> You
>will not see any flash. The 1st you will know you have been caught is the
>day a letter gets delivered by the postman with the £60 fine.
>
>A local authority mole, Solihull.

Hmm..anybody from a gossiping rumour-mongering tea boy up to somebody
who knows the actual policy then?

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old April 2nd 06, 03:37 PM posted to alt.uk.law,alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Mmm...! Thats about 14 cameras per mile (each side) or one very 125 yards,
Rather unlikely!
Also, the 2mph tolerance for prosecution is wrong . I think Domestos is
confused over the ACPO guideline of 10%
plus 2 quoted by Bystander.

Old April 8th 06, 12:31 PM posted to alt.uk.law,alt.autos.alfa-romeo

snip
> Final testing has now been completed on the new M42 speed cameras.
>
> As of the 1st April 2006 (Saturday) the new digital automated tracking
> system between junctions 3 & 7b on the M42 is scheduled to go live full
> time.

Would the date be important by any chance