2008 - squeaking from top

Old September 7th 08, 04:08 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default 2008 - squeaking from top

"CardsFan" > wrote in message
Snip
>> Hugh difference, the transparent top is nearly half the weight,
>> made from different material, and latched down with a new style set
>> of latches. May even be new enough design that they are having some
>> noise problems and some have separated and popped off while in
>> motion.

> I haven't seen complaints on here about C4 tops. I have both, use
> the body-color one in the winter and the plexiglass in the summer,
> and I don't have any problems with squeaking. I presume in the C5
> and C6 there is a different way they are attached? The little
> ratchet tool on the C4 is a bit of a pain, but it seems really
> secure. I have to admit I like the top in place since it at least
> somewhat alleviates the flex.
>
> OTOH, maybe all the rattles are disguising a small squeak from the
> top? :-/
>
> AJM
> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

You got that, the C4 bolts in and the C5-6 have over center clamps,
two in front one in back. What it indicates is that they still flex
and the top don't..............squeak.

Old September 7th 08, 03:15 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Butcher[_2_]

"CardsFan" > wrote in message

> I haven't seen complaints on here about C4 tops. I have both, use the
> body-color one in the winter and the plexiglass in the summer, and I don't
> have any problems with squeaking.
> AJM
> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

One can tell you live 'up North' because here in Texas the solid
body-colored top stays on all SUMMER, and the smoked plexiglass the rest of
the year!hehe

Butcher
'96 LT-4 CE

Old September 7th 08, 05:19 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
JimH[_3_]

CardsFan wrote:

> I haven't seen complaints on here about C4 tops. I have both, use the
> body-color one in the winter and the plexiglass in the summer, and I don't
> have any problems with squeaking. I presume in the C5 and C6 there is a
> different way they are attached? The little ratchet tool on the C4 is a bit
> of a pain, but it seems really secure. I have to admit I like the top in
> place since it at least somewhat alleviates the flex.
>
> OTOH, maybe all the rattles are disguising a small squeak from the top? :-/
>
> AJM
> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

I also have a '93 40th Anniversary. I use the tops the opposite. I put
the plexiglass on in winter, as the sun coming through it makes the
interior a little warmer. I change to the painted top when the weather
gets warmer. That one is too hot in Tucson summers. It would toast my head.

--
Jim