2008 - squeaking from top

Old September 6th 08, 01:03 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
ZÿRiX[_2_]

Default 2008 - squeaking from top

philosophy

--
ZÿRiX
(¯`'..(<>..<>)..'´¯)

Old September 6th 08, 01:04 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
ZÿRiX[_2_]

LEASING

****ing Spelling (DAMN)
--
ZÿRiX
(¯`'..(<>..<>)..'´¯)

Old September 6th 08, 05:51 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"ZÿRiX" > wrote in message
ecom...
> "Andrew DeFaria" > wrote in message

Snip
> Being a lease car take it back to the dealer and have them fix it...
> And sorry I do not agree with the philosaphay of "generally people
> who have money have it because they don't waste it"
> they waste it all the time on stupid stuff like LEASEING a car or
> renting a house, (money out the window) JMHO
>
> But on the other hand even if I think your idieas are stupid in that
> sense I would still help if I new how....
> Sorry I drive a C5 and have all the manuals for it, but none for a
> C6...
>
> This place has them on DVD and if they do not have it they will get
> it and in most cases a very good price...
>
> http://www.datamanuals.com/autos.htm
>
> Just my 2¢
>
> --
> ZÿRiX
> (¯`'..(<>..<>)..'´¯)

You really don't need the manuals to fix it, or attempt a fix, like I
said before there is a thread on the net that has more than enough
information to DIY. So in that case you just need to be able to use a
computer search. Like this one......
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2124344

or
www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com

or better yet....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1956846

There are more but don't get your hopes up, it has been an issue
since mid 2005. Plus you never said if it was a clear or painted top,
big difference in the problem. My '05 has no top issue and was one of
the first ones built, you know the old saying, "Don't buy the first
year they all have problems". Then again it did have a gas cap, hood
check, and trunk release switch go bad.

Hang in there it took them 2 years to acknowledge that the gas
gaps were failing, got my letter this week, lost the cap function Aug.
2006.

Old September 6th 08, 07:23 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria

ZÿRiX wrote:
> LEASING
>
> ****ing Spelling (DAMN)

Doesn't Windows Mail have a built in spell checker? You might want to
turn it on...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. And

Old September 6th 08, 07:23 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria

ZÿRiX wrote:
> Being a lease car take it back to the dealer and have them fix it...

I was hoping to avoid that with some friendly vette guy responding "Oh
no, just got some WD40 and squirt it up in the <fillin blank>" kinda answer.
> And sorry I do not agree with the philosaphay of "generally people who
> have money have it because they don't waste it" they waste it all the
> time on stupid stuff like LEASEING a car or renting a house, (money
> out the window) JMHO

Millionaires are some of the most frugal people I've met. Leasing a
depreciating asset is usually considered a good thing. Normally (and I
say normally given today's housing market - which is not normal) houses
appreciate, cars depreciate.
> But on the other hand even if I think your idieas are stupid in that
> sense I would still help if I new how.... Sorry I drive a C5 and have
> all the manuals for it, but none for a C6...

I wouldn't think that there'd be too much difference between a C5 and a
C6 WRT the roof but it's surely possible..
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
FATAL ERROR! SYSTEM HALTED! - Press any key to do nothing.

Old September 6th 08, 07:31 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
ZÿRiX[_2_]

It does and it is on but did not catch it, go figure it is a MS product. LOL

--
ZÿRiX
(¯`'..(<>..<>)..'´¯)
Old September 6th 08, 07:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

ZÿRiX wrote:
Snipped ****ing match.

I wouldn't think that there'd be too much difference between a C5 and
a C6 WRT the roof but it's surely possible..
--
Andrew DeFaria
FATAL ERROR! SYSTEM HALTED! - Press any key to do nothing.

Hugh difference, the transparent top is nearly half the weight, made
from different material, and latched down with a new style set of
latches. May even be new enough design that they are having some noise
problems and some have separated and popped off while in motion.

Old September 6th 08, 07:49 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria

Dad wrote:

> You really don't need the manuals to fix it, or attempt a fix, like I
> said before there is a thread on the net that has more than enough
> information to DIY. So in that case you just need to be able to use a
> computer search. Like this one......
> http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2124344
>
> or
> www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com
>
> or better yet....
> http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1956846
>
> There are more but don't get your hopes up, it has been an issue
> since mid 2005. Plus you never said if it was a clear or painted top,
> big difference in the problem.

I have a clear top.
> My '05 has no top issue and was one of the first ones built, you know
> the old saying, "Don't buy the first year they all have problems".
> Then again it did have a gas cap, hood check, and trunk release switch
> go bad.
>
> Hang in there it took them 2 years to acknowledge that the gas
> gaps were failing, got my letter this week, lost the cap function Aug.
> 2006.

Gotta know the right forums to search. Sure I could have googled
corvette forum and searched in there. Truth be told I hate forums and
prefer newsgroups but yes many discussions have moved to web based
forums and yes I frequent some of them. But I have enough forums to keep
up with.

Thanks for the pointer. This sounds like my problem and GM has even
issued a fix for it. So I guess it's off to the dealers. I hate to bitch
but being a contractor, hours lost to going to the dealer, etc. == money
lost to my company and even if this ends up being a warrantee item it's
still $$$ lost to me.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

Old September 6th 08, 09:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Andrew DeFaria" > wrote in message

Snip

Thanks for the pointer. This sounds like my problem and GM has even
issued a fix for it. So I guess it's off to the dealers. I hate to
bitch but being a contractor, hours lost to going to the dealer, etc.
== money lost to my company and even if this ends up being a warrantee
item it's still $$$ lost to me.
--
Andrew DeFaria
Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

If I read the posts on the GM issued fix it didn't work 100%, and the
"E" ring seem to be the best fix sofar. Lube, (wax) was another fix
that did/did not work but both together seem to prolong the return of
the noise. The clear top has not been the one to come unglued sofar.

Good luck....

Old September 7th 08, 03:36 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

"Dad" > wrote in message
news

> "Andrew DeFaria" > wrote in message
> ZÿRiX wrote:
> Snipped ****ing match.
>
> I wouldn't think that there'd be too much difference between a C5 and a C6
> WRT the roof but it's surely possible..
> --
> Andrew DeFaria
> FATAL ERROR! SYSTEM HALTED! - Press any key to do nothing.
>
> Hugh difference, the transparent top is nearly half the weight, made from
> different material, and latched down with a new style set of latches. May
> even be new enough design that they are having some noise problems and
> some have separated and popped off while in motion.

I haven't seen complaints on here about C4 tops. I have both, use the
body-color one in the winter and the plexiglass in the summer, and I don't
have any problems with squeaking. I presume in the C5 and C6 there is a
different way they are attached? The little ratchet tool on the C4 is a bit
of a pain, but it seems really secure. I have to admit I like the top in
place since it at least somewhat alleviates the flex.

OTOH, maybe all the rattles are disguising a small squeak from the top? :-/

AJM
'93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)