2008 - squeaking from top

Old August 28th 08, 06:55 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria

Default 2008 - squeaking from top

My 2008's top squeaks by the driver's side, specially when it's hot
outside. If I unlatch the driver's side latch just above the visor the
squeaking stops. At first I just thought it was newness and the ungodly
heat in the summer here in Phoenix but it's beginning to really bother me.

Is there a way or a recommended method to perhaps lubricate or out some
sort of oil there to reduce the squeaking?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.

Old August 28th 08, 06:00 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Andrew DeFaria" > wrote in message
My 2008's top squeaks by the driver's side, specially when it's hot
outside. If I unlatch the driver's side latch just above the visor the
squeaking stops. At first I just thought it was newness and the
ungodly heat in the summer here in Phoenix but it's beginning to
really bother me.

Is there a way or a recommended method to perhaps lubricate or out
some sort of oil there to reduce the squeaking?

--
Andrew DeFaria

Any lube is a band aid, it needs to be adjusted a bit, go slow on it
and it will quit, to much and it will leak. There is a thread out
there that shows a modification but I'd wait until you know it can't
be adjusted out. Not a big deal and easy to fix, much more so than to
take it to a dealer.

Old August 29th 08, 05:33 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria

Dad wrote:
> Any lube is a band aid, it needs to be adjusted a bit, go slow on it
> and it will quit,

What do you mean go slow on it?
> to much and it will leak.

Huh?
> There is a thread out there that shows a modification but I'd wait
> until you know it can't be adjusted out. Not a big deal and easy to
> fix, much more so than to take it to a dealer.

I'm confused. How do I adjust it? Are you saying take it to the dealer
or not?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Making music should not be left to the professionals. - Michelle Shocked

Old August 29th 08, 07:55 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Dad wrote:
Any lube is a band aid, it needs to be adjusted a bit, go slow on it
and it will quit,
What do you mean go slow on it? Small adjustments.

to much and it will leak.
Huh? Leak, like in water or air leak.

There is a thread out there that shows a modification but I'd wait
until you know it can't be adjusted out. Not a big deal and easy to
fix, much more so than to take it to a dealer.

All of the adjustments are spelled out in your service manual page
8-684 through 8-692

I'm confused. How do I adjust it? Are you saying take it to the dealer
or not?

Might be a good idea, but do as you like.

--
Andrew DeFaria

Old August 29th 08, 04:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria

Dad wrote:

> "Andrew DeFaria" > wrote in message
> Dad wrote:
> Any lube is a band aid, it needs to be adjusted a bit, go slow on it
> and it will quit,
> What do you mean go slow on it? Small adjustments.
>
> to much and it will leak.
> Huh? Leak, like in water or air leak.
>
> There is a thread out there that shows a modification but I'd wait
> until you know it can't be adjusted out. Not a big deal and easy to
> fix, much more so than to take it to a dealer.
>
> All of the adjustments are spelled out in your service manual page
> 8-684 through 8-692

I didn't know that! I'll have to look into it. Thanks...

> I'm confused. How do I adjust it? Are you saying take it to the dealer
> or not?
>
> Might be a good idea, but do as you like.

Wait, page 8-684! Service manual? Hmmm I don't think my owners manual is
the same book. You probably mean that larger book for mechanics. I'm no
mechanic. I wonder, is there an online reference...

Wooo! A service manual goes for ~$160 on Amazon! I ain't gonna be buying
that to fix a squeak! Can anybody simply describe the procedure?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Old August 29th 08, 05:14 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
ZÿRiX[_2_]

Wait, page 8-684! Service manual? Hmmm I don't think my owners manual is the
same book. You probably mean that larger book for mechanics. I'm no
mechanic. I wonder, is there an online reference...

Wooo! A service manual goes for ~$160 on Amazon! I ain't gonna be buying
that to fix a squeak! Can anybody simply describe the procedure?

--
Andrew DeFaria
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

You will spend $40k or more for a car and are to cheap to buy a $160 manual
that has a lot of great info in it...
You deserve the squeek... Enjoy it...

--
ZÿRiX
(¯`'..(<>..<>)..'´¯)

Old August 29th 08, 06:22 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Dad wrote:

Wooo! A service manual goes for ~$160 on Amazon! I ain't gonna be
buying that to fix a squeak! Can anybody simply describe the
procedure?

--
Andrew DeFaria
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

My bill was $114 including shipping, that's about 1 & 1/2 tanks of gas
and keeps on saving you money and trips to the dealer. You need to get
into a better use of the search engines available, Amazon is not the
answer.
Fichtner Chevrolet them at $120, and that was just a quick search.

Old September 6th 08, 02:48 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria

Dad wrote:
> My bill was $114 including shipping, that's about 1 & 1/2 tanks of gas
> and keeps on saving you money and trips to the dealer. You need to get
> into a better use of the search engines available, Amazon is not the
> answer. Fichtner Chevrolet them at $120, and that was just a quick
> search.

Whether I find it for $114 or $120 is not the issue. I'm not a mechanic.
This is a lease. I will not use 95% of that book should I buy it. So why
waste the money?

And what's so terrible about simply describing the procedure here? Isn't
this a group for Corvette drivers to share stores and help each other out?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.

Old September 6th 08, 02:48 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria

ZÿRiX wrote:
> You will spend $40k or more for a car and are to cheap to buy a $160
> manual that has a lot of great info in it... You deserve the squeek...
> Enjoy it...

First off, I didn't buy the vehicle - it's a lease. Secondly, generally
people who have money have it because they don't waste it. Thirdly, as
it is a lease it's not like I'm gonna be going under the hood and making
modifications and fixing things routinely. Besides I'm not mechanically
inclined. So then, by and large, I will not be using 95% of that service
manual. Why then should I buy it?

And what's so terrible about helping out a guy with a problem?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
If there is a god, he will understand why I don't believe in him.

Old September 6th 08, 12:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
ZÿRiX[_2_]

ZÿRiX wrote:

You will spend $40k or more for a car and are to cheap to buy a $160 manual
that has a lot of great info in it... You deserve the squeek... Enjoy it...
First off, I didn't buy the vehicle - it's a lease. Secondly, generally
people who have money have it because they don't waste it. Thirdly, as it is
a lease it's not like I'm gonna be going under the hood and making
modifications and fixing things routinely. Besides I'm not mechanically
inclined. So then, by and large, I will not be using 95% of that service
manual. Why then should I buy it?

And what's so terrible about helping out a guy with a problem?

--
Andrew DeFaria
If there is a god, he will understand why I don't believe in him.

Being a lease car take it back to the dealer and have them fix it...
And sorry I do not agree with the philosaphay of "generally people who have
money have it because they don't waste it"
they waste it all the time on stupid stuff like LEASEING a car or renting a
house, (money out the window) JMHO

But on the other hand even if I think your idieas are stupid in that sense I
would still help if I new how....
Sorry I drive a C5 and have all the manuals for it, but none for a C6...

This place has them on DVD and if they do not have it they will get it and
in most cases a very good price...

http://www.datamanuals.com/autos.htm

Just my 2¢

--