Need info, please (BMW 524 TD)

Old January 15th 05, 02:29 PM
Matt O'Toole

Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

> Lack of low-sulfur fuels on nationwide basis (though that's changing),
> differing emission regs on state basis, memories of nasty old diesel
> engines, cheap petrol....

It is indeed all those things. The few diesels we do have sell very well, but
it's still a small number compared to the overall market. More are coming
though. Mercedes is selling them again, and the Jeep Liberty is available with
a diesel now (with an incredible combination of towing capacity and economy).
More will probably arrive over the next few years, as low-sulphur fuel becomes
the norm nationwide. California already has it, but also the toughest air
quality regs.

Some of the more consipiracy minded among us believe that California's air
quality regs were drawn specifically to exclude passenger car diesels from the
nation's two biggest markets (California and the Northeast), at the behest of
certain automakers seeking to eliminate competition from Volkswagen. The Jetta
is the nation's third best selling small car. If the TDI were allowed in
California and the Northeast, it would likely be number one. Already people
will pay a premium for a used Jetta brought into California, with enough miles
(7500) to qualify as a used car (which is allowed). One independent used car
dealer is charging a $10k premium for such cars, with no lack of customers.

Matt O.

1979 BMW 528I Any Info? mrchris BMW 1 January 2nd 05 01:18 PM
VAG-COM - what does it do? Where to find more info? Gene Buckwalter Audi 2 January 2nd 05 02:08 AM
Technical info 145/146 [email protected] Alfa Romeo 5 May 27th 04 07:22 PM
Renault 19, where to find forums and tech info? Chotie Audi 0 May 24th 04 10:33 AM
Alfa 164 Tyre Pressures - Info needed Tom Boltwood Alfa Romeo 5 April 30th 04 11:06 PM