Tire Pressure?

Old February 13th 05, 07:18 PM
John Carrier

There ARE "recommended tire pressures" and one would be unwise to deviate
greatly from them without careful consideration and expertise, particularly
in the downward direction.

In the case of the E39 sixes, the lower pressures posted on the door jam are
for normal driving, the higher for maximum rated load. Personally, I think
the "normal": settings are a little low if you run 45/40 or 35 series high
performance tires (particularly for the front) ... not much protection from
a pot hole hit that can ding the rim and puncture the sidewall.

The recommended settings also tend to emphasize the car's inherent (and
designed in) understeer and provide a reasonable compromise between handling
and ride. Bump the fronts up a couple PSI and you can dial a bit of the
understeer out ... a subtle but noticeable improvement IMO.

Bottom line. Check the pressures regularly. Make pressure adjustments
incrementally if you choose to deviate from what BMW recommends. Don't run
underinflated tires (a contributing factor in the Firestone/Explorer debacle
.... yes, the tires were flawed as well). Don't exceed the maximum pressure
on the sidewall.

This advise applies for the 90th percentile driver. For the track (Ala
tech27), all bets are off. Scuderia Ferrari often doesn't get the whole
suspension package (including tire pressures) "just right" and they throw
more at Bridgestone in a weekend than many of us invest in tires over a
lifetime.

R / John

o.verio.net...