Fuel Sender vs. Gauge Values. Chrysler or AMC?

Old November 11th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
James Drinkwater

Default Fuel Sender vs. Gauge Values. Chrysler or AMC?

Trying to get a working fuel gauge after some... 12-15yrs. Got a new
sender and an Equus gauge. Reads 1/2 on empty like before. Here's my dumb
question.
Does the sender present 10-75ohms or 33-240ohms (can't remember the exact
numbers but it's Chrysler vs. AMC).
It's a '76 CJ-7 but I had to order a '79 sender 'cause the '76 is out of
production. Should've been the same sender, right? Think they're identical
from '76 through '80s. Was there a change? Am I all wrong? Did I just get
the wrong part?
Best Regards,
Drink

Old November 11th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

http://web.archive.org/web/200605230...eep/Gauges.htm
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old November 11th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
James Drinkwater

Thanks Bill. That site pretty much hammers the whole thing. It'll be
nice to ditch my old fuel level indicator; a gas can. Sure, it was rugged
and never, ever failed to indicate when I was out o' gas, but definitely old
school and kind of embarrassing from time to time. Still waitin' for
someone to say, "Real Jeeps don't have gas gauges.!"
Drink

Old November 11th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Correct, Real Jeeps use a Fuel stick:
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/fuelStick.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old November 12th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

On real jeeps you can 'thump the gas tank because you are sitting right on
top of it.

Old November 12th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Yup, notice the departure angle I have:
http://www.billhughes.com/46jeep.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old November 12th 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:
> Yup, notice the departure angle I have:
> http://www.billhughes.com/46jeep.jpg
> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
>

> billy ray wrote:
>>
>> On real jeeps you can 'thump the gas tank because you are sitting
>> right on top of it.

On my first chevy you could reach behind the seat and tap the gas tank. :/

--
DougW

Old November 12th 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Same with my '72 Ford:
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/46jeepMaidenVoyage.jpg People were
smarter back then and drove accordingly.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old November 12th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

That must have been just about the end for those tanks, Riley's '74 Chevy
had the infamous exploding saddle tanks.