2004 Jeep Liberty

Old May 26th 17, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Default 2004 Jeep Liberty

Michael wrote:
> On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 9:34:07 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

>>> The cam lobe is on the low side where I want to install two rocker arms. What's the
>>> best way of getting the cam lobe on the high side so I can pop in the rocker arms?

>> Turn the engine until the cam's in the valve closed position. (just replaced a bent
>> pushrod last evening).
>>
>> -- Andrew Muzi <www.yellowjersey.org/> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> Thanks, Andrew! Do I actually start the car or just turn the engine a little bit until
> they are in position?
>
> Much appreciated.
>
> Mike

If you pull the plugs it should be easy to turn by hand by grabbing a belt or pulley.

Old May 28th 17, 06:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Michael wrote:

>> Turn the engine until the cam's in the valve closed position. (just
>> replaced a bent pushrod last evening).
>>
>> -- Andrew Muzi <www.yellowjersey.org/> Open every day since 1
>> April, 1971

> Thanks, Andrew! Do I actually start the car or just turn the engine a
> little bit until they are in position?
>
> Much appreciated.
>
> Mike

Pull the plugs and rotate it by hand. The 3.7 is known for dropping
valve seats and rockers.

Two off would explain the codes though.

--
Steve W.
Old May 29th 17, 05:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Michael[_23_]

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 12:36:11 AM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>
> >> Turn the engine until the cam's in the valve closed position. (just
> >> replaced a bent pushrod last evening).
> >>
> >> -- Andrew Muzi <www.yellowjersey.org/> Open every day since 1
> >> April, 1971

> > Thanks, Andrew! Do I actually start the car or just turn the engine a
> > little bit until they are in position?
> >
> > Much appreciated.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Pull the plugs and rotate it by hand. The 3.7 is known for dropping
> valve seats and rockers.
>
> Two off would explain the codes though.
>
> --
> Steve W.

Update: After changing out the two lifters, I test drove the car for a while. It ran ok then rough and then lost another (different) rocker arm. So I changed out all the lifters and now it runs.

It idles well, and if I drive slowly it's ok, but if I give it any amount of gas, I can feel it missing a little bit, but no check engine light. Also, oddly, as I'm coasting downhill without giving it gas, it feels as if it's gently dropping power every two or three seconds.

I'm going to let it almost run out of gas and run some injector cleaner in it. I hope that helps.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mike
Old May 29th 17, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Michael > wrote:
>It idles well, and if I drive slowly it's ok, but if I give it any amount o=
>f gas, I can feel it missing a little bit, but no check engine light. Also,=
> oddly, as I'm coasting downhill without giving it gas, it feels as if it's=
> gently dropping power every two or three seconds.=20

1. If you put the original coils back on, does it still do this? It's
possible replacing the coils degraded performance rather than improved
it.

2. Do you get nice rock-steady marks with a timing light and are they in
the right place?

>I'm going to let it almost run out of gas and run some injector cleaner in =
>it. I hope that helps.=20

I'd be more worried about the oil system getting gunked up than the injectors.
Try using a high detergent synthetic oil or one of the various products sold
for ungunking clogged-up engines. This likely isn't causing the missing
but it's likely the cause of the original problem.
--scott
Old May 30th 17, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Michael wrote:

>>> Thanks, Andrew! Do I actually start the car or just turn the
>>> engine a little bit until they are in position?
>>>
>>> Much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> Pull the plugs and rotate it by hand. The 3.7 is known for dropping
>> valve seats and rockers.
>>
>> Two off would explain the codes though.
>>
>> -- Steve W.

> Update: After changing out the two lifters, I test drove the car for
> a while. It ran ok then rough and then lost another (different)
> rocker arm. So I changed out all the lifters and now it runs.
>
> It idles well, and if I drive slowly it's ok, but if I give it any
> amount of gas, I can feel it missing a little bit, but no check
> engine light. Also, oddly, as I'm coasting downhill without giving it
> gas, it feels as if it's gently dropping power every two or three
> seconds.
>
> I'm going to let it almost run out of gas and run some injector
> cleaner in it. I hope that helps.
>
> Any advice greatly appreciated.
>
> Mike

Check your fuel pressure at the rail under load. Do you have access to a
scan tool that can display live data? It would show you the misfires,
Jeep used a wide tolerance on the misfire counter.
The downhill power loss is due to the injectors being shut down during
coast.

--
Steve W.
Old May 31st 17, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Michael[_23_]

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 10:55:30 AM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:
> Michael wrote:

> >> Pull the plugs and rotate it by hand. The 3.7 is known for dropping
> >> valve seats and rockers.
> >>
> >> Two off would explain the codes though.
> >>
> >> -- Steve W.

> > Update: After changing out the two lifters, I test drove the car for
> > a while. It ran ok then rough and then lost another (different)
> > rocker arm. So I changed out all the lifters and now it runs.
> >
> > It idles well, and if I drive slowly it's ok, but if I give it any
> > amount of gas, I can feel it missing a little bit, but no check
> > engine light. Also, oddly, as I'm coasting downhill without giving it
> > gas, it feels as if it's gently dropping power every two or three
> > seconds.
> >
> > I'm going to let it almost run out of gas and run some injector
> > cleaner in it. I hope that helps.
> >
> > Any advice greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Mike

> Check your fuel pressure at the rail under load. Do you have access to a
> scan tool that can display live data? It would show you the misfires,
> Jeep used a wide tolerance on the misfire counter.
> The downhill power loss is due to the injectors being shut down during
> coast.
>
> --
> Steve W.

I had to get back to work, so I just took it to our mechanic. He found coolant in the plugs. He believes it needs a new head gasket (s).

Mike