2004 Jeep Liberty

Old May 24th 17, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Michael[_23_]

Default 2004 Jeep Liberty

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 12:55:21 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 9:29:30 AM UTC-10, Michael wrote:

> > > Thanks, Steve!
> > >
> > > Mike

> > So I've changed the plugs and coils, but I'm still getting misfires according to the machine from Autozone. What's the next thing that I should check?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike

> If you have not changed the wires, now would be the time.

I think I found the problem. When I put the injector cleaner in the car, started it up, and walked away, I heard that clicking noise that says that a rocker arm has fallen.

What's the recommendation? Just pop it back in place? Get a new one?

Thanks,

Mike
Old May 25th 17, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Michael wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 8:32:31 PM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:
>> Michael wrote:

>>> So I've changed the plugs and coils, but I'm still getting
>>> misfires according to the machine from Autozone. What's the next
>>> thing that I should check?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Mike

>> What were the codes that came up? Any strange noises or other
>> problems like lower gas mileage, running hotter than normal, smell
>> of fuel?
>>
>> -- Steve W.

> Hi Steve,
>
> Code P0306 indicates that Cylinder 6 has too many misfires within a
> predetermined period of time.
>
> PO306 Cylinder 1-10 Misfire Detected P0300 P0302 P0303 P0304
>
> Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I read where it could be a
> bad ASD relay too, but I couldn't find one on this car. I'm going to
> try the fuel injector cleaner. I may try replacing the fuel injectors
> at some point.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Check the running fuel pressure. That's a returnless system and the
pumps do get weak. I see where you hear a click from a possible rocker
arm. That could account for one cylinder but it wouldn't cause the
random miss or 3 and 4 misses.

I would start with a fuel pressure test, then do a top cylinder cleaning
as the 3.7 is prone to carbon build up.

--
Steve W.
Old May 25th 17, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Michael[_23_]

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 8:24:16 PM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:
> Michael wrote:

> >> What were the codes that came up? Any strange noises or other
> >> problems like lower gas mileage, running hotter than normal, smell
> >> of fuel?
> >>
> >> -- Steve W.

> > Hi Steve,
> >
> > Code P0306 indicates that Cylinder 6 has too many misfires within a
> > predetermined period of time.
> >
> > PO306 Cylinder 1-10 Misfire Detected P0300 P0302 P0303 P0304
> >
> > Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I read where it could be a
> > bad ASD relay too, but I couldn't find one on this car. I'm going to
> > try the fuel injector cleaner. I may try replacing the fuel injectors
> > at some point.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike

> Check the running fuel pressure. That's a returnless system and the
> pumps do get weak. I see where you hear a click from a possible rocker
> arm. That could account for one cylinder but it wouldn't cause the
> random miss or 3 and 4 misses.
>
> I would start with a fuel pressure test, then do a top cylinder cleaning
> as the 3.7 is prone to carbon build up.
>
> --
> Steve W.

Thanks, Steve. Much appreciated!

Here is a video that demonstrates the sound that my Jeep is making. It could well be that it has more than one problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZU0OzhsgyQ (2:49)

Mike
Old May 25th 17, 01:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Michael wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 8:24:16 PM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:
>> Michael wrote:

>>> Hi Steve,
>>>
>>> Code P0306 indicates that Cylinder 6 has too many misfires within
>>> a predetermined period of time.
>>>
>>> PO306 Cylinder 1-10 Misfire Detected P0300 P0302 P0303 P0304
>>>
>>> Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I read where it could
>>> be a bad ASD relay too, but I couldn't find one on this car. I'm
>>> going to try the fuel injector cleaner. I may try replacing the
>>> fuel injectors at some point.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Mike

>> Check the running fuel pressure. That's a returnless system and the
>> pumps do get weak. I see where you hear a click from a possible
>> rocker arm. That could account for one cylinder but it wouldn't
>> cause the random miss or 3 and 4 misses.
>>
>> I would start with a fuel pressure test, then do a top cylinder
>> cleaning as the 3.7 is prone to carbon build up.
>>
>> -- Steve W.

> Thanks, Steve. Much appreciated!
>
> Here is a video that demonstrates the sound that my Jeep is making.
> It could well be that it has more than one problem.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZU0OzhsgyQ (2:49)
>
> Mike

It's very possible it's tossed a rocker arm. I would start with the easy
stuff first. Then pop the valve cover off and take a look if they don't
improve the issue. Broken valve spring or fallen rockers are easy to spot.

--
Steve W.
Old May 26th 17, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Michael[_23_]

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 7:33:57 AM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:
> Michael wrote:

> >> Check the running fuel pressure. That's a returnless system and the
> >> pumps do get weak. I see where you hear a click from a possible
> >> rocker arm. That could account for one cylinder but it wouldn't
> >> cause the random miss or 3 and 4 misses.
> >>
> >> I would start with a fuel pressure test, then do a top cylinder
> >> cleaning as the 3.7 is prone to carbon build up.
> >>
> >> -- Steve W.

> > Thanks, Steve. Much appreciated!
> >
> > Here is a video that demonstrates the sound that my Jeep is making.
> > It could well be that it has more than one problem.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZU0OzhsgyQ (2:49)
> >
> > Mike

> It's very possible it's tossed a rocker arm. I would start with the easy
> stuff first. Then pop the valve cover off and take a look if they don't
> improve the issue. Broken valve spring or fallen rockers are easy to spot.
>
> --
> Steve W.

Steve,

I took the valve covers off. As it turns out, it wasn't a fallen rocker arm. It was TWO fallen rocker arms on the passenger's side. The lifters are frozen solid, so I'll replace those and hope it runs for a while.

Mike
Old May 26th 17, 02:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Michael[_23_]

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 7:48:41 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
> On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 7:33:57 AM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:
> > Michael wrote:

> > > Thanks, Steve. Much appreciated!
> > >
> > > Here is a video that demonstrates the sound that my Jeep is making.
> > > It could well be that it has more than one problem.
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZU0OzhsgyQ (2:49)
> > >
> > > Mike

> > It's very possible it's tossed a rocker arm. I would start with the easy
> > stuff first. Then pop the valve cover off and take a look if they don't
> > improve the issue. Broken valve spring or fallen rockers are easy to spot.
> >
> > --
> > Steve W.

> Steve,
>
> I took the valve covers off. As it turns out, it wasn't a fallen rocker arm. It was TWO fallen rocker arms on the passenger's side. The lifters are frozen solid, so I'll replace those and hope it runs for a while.
>
> Mike

Hi all,

The cam lobe is on the low side where I want to install two rocker arms. What's the best way of getting the cam lobe on the high side so I can pop in the rocker arms?

Thanks,

Mike
Old May 26th 17, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Retired

On 5/25/17 9:49 PM, Michael wrote:
> On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 7:48:41 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:

>>> It's very possible it's tossed a rocker arm. I would start with the easy
>>> stuff first. Then pop the valve cover off and take a look if they don't
>>> improve the issue. Broken valve spring or fallen rockers are easy to spot.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Steve W.

>> Steve,
>>
>> I took the valve covers off. As it turns out, it wasn't a fallen rocker arm. It was TWO fallen rocker arms on the passenger's side. The lifters are frozen solid, so I'll replace those and hope it runs for a while.
>>
>> Mike

> Hi all,
>
> The cam lobe is on the low side where I want to install two rocker arms. What's the best way of getting the cam lobe on the high side so I can pop in the rocker arms?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Have you cleaned the "lash adjusters" ? You may want to view this
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksrDE2zjC34

The adjusters seem to be the cause of the "fallen" rockers. Lots of
other YT videos re this issue.

Old May 26th 17, 03:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 5/25/2017 8:49 PM, Michael wrote:
> On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 7:48:41 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:

>>> It's very possible it's tossed a rocker arm. I would start with the easy
>>> stuff first. Then pop the valve cover off and take a look if they don't
>>> improve the issue. Broken valve spring or fallen rockers are easy to spot.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Steve W.

>> Steve,
>>
>> I took the valve covers off. As it turns out, it wasn't a fallen rocker arm. It was TWO fallen rocker arms on the passenger's side. The lifters are frozen solid, so I'll replace those and hope it runs for a while.
>>
>> Mike

> Hi all,
>
> The cam lobe is on the low side where I want to install two rocker arms. What's the best way of getting the cam lobe on the high side so I can pop in the rocker arms?

Turn the engine until the cam's in the valve closed
position. (just replaced a bent pushrod last evening).

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old May 26th 17, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Michael[_23_]

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 9:00:48 PM UTC-5, Retired wrote:
> On 5/25/17 9:49 PM, Michael wrote:

> >> Steve,
> >>
> >> I took the valve covers off. As it turns out, it wasn't a fallen rocker arm. It was TWO fallen rocker arms on the passenger's side. The lifters are frozen solid, so I'll replace those and hope it runs for a while.
> >>
> >> Mike

> > Hi all,
> >
> > The cam lobe is on the low side where I want to install two rocker arms. What's the best way of getting the cam lobe on the high side so I can pop in the rocker arms?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Have you cleaned the "lash adjusters" ? You may want to view this
> YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksrDE2zjC34
>
> The adjusters seem to be the cause of the "fallen" rockers. Lots of
> other YT videos re this issue.

I bought a couple of new ones tonight to replace the old ones The old ones were frozen solid. I should probably change them all since I'm in there, but I'm not.

Mike
Old May 26th 17, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Michael[_23_]

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 9:34:07 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
> On 5/25/2017 8:49 PM, Michael wrote:

> >> Steve,
> >>
> >> I took the valve covers off. As it turns out, it wasn't a fallen rocker arm. It was TWO fallen rocker arms on the passenger's side. The lifters are frozen solid, so I'll replace those and hope it runs for a while.
> >>
> >> Mike

> > Hi all,
> >
> > The cam lobe is on the low side where I want to install two rocker arms. What's the best way of getting the cam lobe on the high side so I can pop in the rocker arms?

> Turn the engine until the cam's in the valve closed
> position. (just replaced a bent pushrod last evening).
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks, Andrew! Do I actually start the car or just turn the engine a little bit until they are in position?

Much appreciated.

Mike