Lead free battery terminals or Lead terminals

Old July 29th 05, 02:20 PM
Sam Nickaby

Default Lead free battery terminals or Lead terminals

Our Honda OEM battery terminals are aging. We'd like to
switch to OEM Lead free battery terminals or solid lead
battery terminals. Which are most reliable?

Thanks

Old July 29th 05, 03:07 PM
Mike Romain

Which type are now shot?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 30th 05, 06:06 AM
Sam Nickaby

"Mike Romain" wrote
>>>"Sam Nickaby" wrote

> > Our Honda OEM battery terminals are aging. We'd like to
> > switch to OEM Lead free battery terminals or solid lead
> > battery terminals. Which are most reliable?

> Which type are now shot?

Lead free. I have a white crusty substance is building
up on the terminals.

Old July 30th 05, 06:58 AM

Sam Nickaby wrote:

> Our Honda OEM battery terminals are aging. We'd like to
> switch to OEM Lead free battery terminals or solid lead
> battery terminals. Which are most reliable?

I'll guess stainless steel clamps. Amp (Tyco) used to make them, and
they never corroded on me, but neither have my ordinary steel clamps
and lead clamps. I've always kept them coated with hi-temp grease, but
just coating the terminals after the clamps are attached doesn't seem
to be enough. It's better to remove the clamps, thoroughly clean them
and the clamps, including with baking soda and water, and coat with
grease before reassembly. The grease will not impede current flow
since the pressure of the clamps will squeeze it out and pierce the
film.

Old July 30th 05, 03:19 PM
Mike Romain

Sam Nickaby wrote:

> "Mike Romain" wrote
> > > Our Honda OEM battery terminals are aging. We'd like to
> > > switch to OEM Lead free battery terminals or solid lead
> > > battery terminals. Which are most reliable?

> > Which type are now shot?

> Lead free. I have a white crusty substance is building
> up on the terminals.

That is normal corrosion that should be cleaned off every year or two.
A wire brush and baking soda work well, then you can coat them with some
dielectric grease to slow down future crud from building up.

If they are not pitted or cracked or bent all out of shape, I wouldn't
change them.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old July 31st 05, 02:28 PM
Professor

Within a few years... battery terminals will most likely be "lead free"
due to the RoHS European initiative. The terminals will probably be
made of copper... and may have a tin plating.

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

At what point is a vehicle battery charging or discharging? 12.6v ? [email protected] Technology 34 January 3rd 05 06:11 AM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 11:54 PM
Cars free for qualified drivers ... Mahesh 4x4 10 April 1st 04 08:01 AM
Cars free for qualified drivers ... Mahesh General 5 April 1st 04 08:01 AM